Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Improvements around Brighton Station

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
That's it - and a vast, pungently-scented but attractive mosaic-covered gents.

god yes, i remeber the overwhelming smell of yellow piss blocks (whatever theyre called) and the mosaics.. wonder if they're still there, I bet they are... (the mosaics of course, not the piss blocks)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think you're overstating how shockingly hideous things are around there to a ridiculous extent, with all genuine respect.

Fair enough. I have high and unrealistic standards for our beloved town.

I dream of a traffic free/pedestrianised utopia with pubs and cafes spilling in to the street. That is the sort of scene someone should fall in to out of the station. It is currently dull and unimaginative. Stick the tatty newsagents, cheap offies, kebab shops, fourth rate curry parlours and what-have-you elsewhere.

Litter is definitely a big problem. The cigarette bin is always overflowing and the rest of the bins seem to be emptied once they have overflowed at least twice. I used to dread walking up there when I commuted to Chichester.

I just think they could do a huge amount to it, but the whole place is dominated by cars/taxis/buses. The noise, the smell and all.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
As long as people stop puttin gthier bloody bikes on the railing outside budgins then I will be happy. Selfish wankers.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The overwhelming feeling immediately outside the station is of an area designed solely for the needs of the car, the bus and the taxi. Pedestrians approach at their peril.

There really needs to be a proper station concourse outside, to provide a sense of space around what is a truly superb Victorian structure.

Agree with other posters about the ugly, rubbishy shops. But what about all the broken paving slabs, totally covered with ancient patches of black chewing gum. Are they never, ever cleaned?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fair enough. I have high and unrealistic standards for our beloved town.

I dream of a traffic free/pedestrianised utopia with pubs and cafes spilling in to the street. That is the sort of scene someone should fall in to out of the station. It is currently dull and unimaginative. Stick the tatty newsagents, cheap offies, kebab shops, fourth rate curry parlours and what-have-you elsewhere.

Litter is definitely a big problem. The cigarette bin is always overflowing and the rest of the bins seem to be emptied once they have overflowed at least twice. I used to dread walking up there when I commuted to Chichester.

I just think they could do a huge amount to it, but the whole place is dominated by cars/taxis/buses. The noise, the smell and all.

You'll be voting Green next. :ohmy:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The office block next to Jury's Inn remains unbuilt (who wants a new office block in Brighton!!), and there's that other site along Cheapside to the south which is also empty and boarded up (although not sure if that originally formed part of the 'New England Quarter').

I'm dreading the moment they start building the bit that has just been permitted as I live right next to it.

This is what's been approved.

Mixed use development comprising 2973sqm commercial office space (Class B1), 94 bedroom hotel (Class C1), 147 residential units (Class C3) and 255sqm retail floorspace/cafe/office (flexible use Class A1/A2/A3/B1) accommodated within 3 blocks (6-8 storey southern block and 5-8 storey central and northern blocks), Southern Site of Nature Conservation Interest, public square, private and public open spaces, associated landscaping, access, servicing, car and cycle parking, and provision of station link, including lift and stair access.

A1 - Shops
A2 - 'Financial & Professional Services'
A3 - Restaurant & Cafés

B1 - Business Office

C1 - Hotels & Hosels
C3 - Dwellings, House, Flats & Apartments

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It would be better if all the buses stopped in Queens Rd where the 12s and 14s stop. The 7s and 27s can get held up for ages in the bit they currently stop at.

The absolute OPPOSITE of this.

The congestion in that area is apalling in the evenings as it is. What with taxis completely blocking the road trying to get into the station, all it needs is four buses stopped where you suggest and the whole area becomes totally gridlocked. Believe me, I've seen it on numerous occasions.

Many times the 81 can't even get to those stops where it is supposed to stop as there are regularly 3 or 4 number 12 or 14's just sat there for about 20 minutes before they are due to leave. I've often had to risk sticking my neck out to stop the 81 as it sails past as there is no room for it to stop.

The biggest problem of all is the taxi rank. With only one entrance you get cabbies blocking the roads coming down the hill at the side of the station, Queens Road coming straight into the station, and those coming round from Syndey Street as well.

It needs a new extra taxi rank round the back, and whoever is in charge of buses (is it still Roger French?) to ban buses from the area until no more than 5 minutes before they are due to leave.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
There's an old Taxi run (now blocked up) that runs from Trafalgar Street up to the platforms. Maybe this could be opened up and widened?

I think, when it comes to things like main stations - you need to put function over form. People want to access / exit the station with the minimum of fuss so transport options need to be given priority rather than any fancy 'public realm' improvements. No one goes to Brighton Station to sit on a bench.

It may not improve the look & feel of the air but, in reality, who really cares - If you want a Taxi, you want to find them quickly and the same goes for buses.

We've been here before with that 'Ocean Boulevard' concept a few years ago. That never happened so it should just be kept simple this time imo

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The entrance to Lime Street Station in Liverpool has been infinitely improved from the grotty hole it used to be.

st-georges-hall-600x406.jpg

lime-street-wide-angle-600x215.jpg

Attachments

• lime-street-station-600x379.jpg
    lime-street-station-600x379.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 39

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The front of the station is horrible, gives a terrible impression for visitors and is depressing for residents. There's way too many taxis, they should be number limited except at peak times. If you've ever seen the improvements at Sheffield station it puts ours to shame. At present if you find yourself waiting 20 mins for a train or waiting to meet someone, unless you want a pint your options are a couple of crappy coffee stands and standing up next to bus stops and fag filled bins to "enjoy" your beverage and surroundings!
In such places as Tatenham Corner in Epsom the shops and pubs surrounding the racecourse have to be kept up to a certain standard to make it pleasant for visitors (hence bringing money in). This should be the case near our station, some of those f***ing newsagents/internet cafe's and fast food places are an eyesore and for a visitor trying to see past all the taxis and busses to figure out where to go must be a nightmare let alone trying to get across the road with all the confusing crosings, turnings and lights while likely lugging luggage. All a bit bloody pound shop really.

Whenever i use Brighton Station,I understand the immediate need for the taxi rank and the buses outside for those that need them,even though I personally do not, as this is a major transport hub for our city.I can`t say I have ever found it difficult as a pedestrian and have never wasted much thought on it.It seems to me people just look for an excuse to moan and whinge.I understand when I drive passed the station that there may be a little congestion with cabs and buses and it has never bothered me that much, after all it is to be expected when passing the main railway station in the city centre.This is not to say I am not sympathetic to the poor sensitive souls of NSC,bless `em.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Brighton councillors consider station improvement ideas

Councillors in Brighton and Hove are to consider the comments of 1,200 people who expressed their views on improving the area around Brighton station.

More than 75% said they walked to the station and criticised the poor quality of the pedestrian facilities. Many people told a public consultation the current environment in Terminus Road felt unpleasant and unsafe.

Councillors have already conceded that the station "does not work well as a fitting welcome to the city".

Councillor Ian Davey, cabinet member for transport and the public realm, said: "There are a large number of people coming to and leaving the station on foot and we are looking to make it easier and more pleasant for them, as well as reducing congestion which will not only improve access but reduce air pollution."

Southern Rail is also currently investigating an 800-space cycle parking facility as part of the improvements. It is expected that a number of new designs for the station will be drawn up over the next few months. Public views will be taken into account in the selection of a preferred design to be displayed at a further consultation event in the summer.

Work is expected to start on the site in 2013 and will complement improvements being carried out by Southern Rail inside the station.

Didn't know that they were doing this. With that in mind, what would you have done to the outside (I suspect they most mean the front entrance) of Brighton Station?

haha, i used to live at no.1 terminus road, and would probably say more pleasant than unsafe, very handy for a local boozer or 2

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Whenever i use Brighton Station,I understand the immediate need for the taxi rank and the buses outside for those that need them,even though I personally do not, as this is a major transport hub for our city.I can`t say I have ever found it difficult as a pedestrian and have never wasted much thought on it.It seems to me people just look for an excuse to moan and whinge.I understand when I drive passed the station that there may be a little congestion with cabs and buses and it has never bothered me that much, after all it is to be expected when passing the main railway station in the city centre.This is not to say I am not sympathetic to the poor sensitive souls of NSC,bless `em.

You are totally right. I don't think a city in the 21st century should ever look to improving itself for the sake of visitors and residents. In fact they shouldn't even bother maintaining it, let it become a dump. Much better idea than having a more pleasant environment to experience.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Just because you are blind to the shittiness, it doesn't follow everyone else is. The outside of the station is a shit-hole, and you seemingly are happy to keep it that way.

So that's nice.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Spice Nutriment have not progressed from 2/5 stars on Scores on the Doors. I dread to think what sort of racket they've got running in the back. Grim.

You are totally right. I don't think a city in the 21st century should ever look to improving itself for the sake of visitors and residents. In fact they shouldn't even bother maintaining it, let it become a dump. Much better idea than having a more pleasant environment to experience.

Quite. I'm not sure why wanting an area that doesn't look like a third world bus station would make one a sensitive soul?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
What I don't understand is why taxis are continually allowed to run red lights outside the station and park right across the pedestrian crossing so people have to walk in front of buses to avoid them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here