Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Improvements around Brighton Station

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brighton councillors consider station improvement ideas

Councillors in Brighton and Hove are to consider the comments of 1,200 people who expressed their views on improving the area around Brighton station.

More than 75% said they walked to the station and criticised the poor quality of the pedestrian facilities. Many people told a public consultation the current environment in Terminus Road felt unpleasant and unsafe.

Councillors have already conceded that the station "does not work well as a fitting welcome to the city".

Councillor Ian Davey, cabinet member for transport and the public realm, said: "There are a large number of people coming to and leaving the station on foot and we are looking to make it easier and more pleasant for them, as well as reducing congestion which will not only improve access but reduce air pollution."

Southern Rail is also currently investigating an 800-space cycle parking facility as part of the improvements. It is expected that a number of new designs for the station will be drawn up over the next few months. Public views will be taken into account in the selection of a preferred design to be displayed at a further consultation event in the summer.

Work is expected to start on the site in 2013 and will complement improvements being carried out by Southern Rail inside the station.

Didn't know that they were doing this. With that in mind, what would you have done to the outside (I suspect they most mean the front entrance) of Brighton Station?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
There was a meeting a good while ago, I have the powerpoints somewhere but they were quite ambitious plans to pedestrianise parts of Queens Road, and also plans for improving Trafalger Street and linking it better with the rear of the Station down to Cheapside with the development recently permitted on Cheapside next to Jury's Inn (the big car park).

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Have they done anything about the old entrance down to Trafalgar Street yet?

It's always seemed ironic to me that, all the time North Laine was mainly butchers and haberdashers it was open. Now it's a crucial and much livelier part of the town centre and that entrance to it has been shut for about what, 20 years.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Interesting stuff.

I've got to say, as a gateway to the city, it is pretty shitty around there (decent pubs notwithstanding).

It does need looking at but there are FAR worse offenders than Brighton (Oxford for example, is AWFUL) but it does have a lot of untapped potential for a much grander entrance in to the centre. The only difficulty being Queens Road only leads to one destination and that is West Street.

Jan 30, 2008

It's always seemed ironic to me that, all the time North Laine was mainly butchers and haberdashers it was open. Now it's a crucial and much livelier part of the town centre and that entrance to it has been shut for about what, 20 years.
those bogs were lovely :nono:

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009

there was a gents barbers down there, if memory isnt playing its tricks...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've only just noticed (though it occurred back in October) that the last plot of wasteland to the east of the station in the *cough* 'New England Quarter' has had a 94-bedroom hotel and seven-storey residential block approved.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've only just noticed (though it occurred back in October) that the last plot of wasteland to the east of the station in the *cough* 'New England Quarter' has had a 94-bedroom hotel and seven-storey residential block approved.

The office block next to Jury's Inn remains unbuilt (who wants a new office block in Brighton!!), and there's that other site along Cheapside to the south which is also empty and boarded up (although not sure if that originally formed part of the 'New England Quarter').

I'm dreading the moment they start building the bit that has just been permitted as I live right next to it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
there was a gents barbers down there, if memory isnt playing its tricks...

That's it - and a vast, pungently-scented but attractive mosaic-covered gents.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It would be better if all the buses stopped in Queens Rd where the 12s and 14s stop. The 7s and 27s can get held up for ages in the bit they currently stop at.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Nope still shut, The brighton Toy Museum is next to that entrance and there's an off licence.wine merchants on the orner.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Doubt it'll ever happen we will get a few new artistic benches and that'll be it perhaps some mood lighting if we're lucky. :(

I'm still waiting for this rapid transport scheme which seems doomed. I know its prohibitively expensive but I'd love to see an underground train system, Stretching from Littlehampton to Saltdean and going no further north than the A27. I'd be in heaven but given they cost a couple of million per kilometre it'd be in the hundreds of millions I can't see it ever happening.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The whole zone is a dump. Littered with taxis, buses, cigarette butts, litter and so on. The tunnel is dull and damp. The shops at the top of Queens Road are grim, ugly facades.

I would be minded to turn around and get back on the train if I sauntered out of the station for the very first time. A horrendous welcoming to visitors. Once you get past the graveyard, it is a little bit more acceptable, but certainly not a vast improvement.

I'd definitely prefer to have taxis at the rear of the station, but of course that is not going to work with much congestion round the back anyway.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The whole zone is a dump. Littered with taxis, buses, cigarette butts, litter and so on. The tunnel is dull and damp. The shops at the top of Queens Road are grim, ugly facades.

I would be minded to turn around and get back on the train if I sauntered out of the station for the very first time. A horrendous welcoming to visitors. Once you get past the graveyard, it is a little bit more acceptable, but certainly not a vast improvement.

I'd definitely prefer to have taxis at the rear of the station, but of course that is not going to work with much congestion round the back anyway.

I think you're overstating how shockingly hideous things are around there to a ridiculous extent, with all genuine respect.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Lets face it, most european cities have a sleaze zone immediately outside the station. Anyone who's ever been interrailing knows that stations attract wankers...
In that context, brighton station is nothing shocking.
And the tunnel now has some mood lighting to fluff you up before you enjoy the repro banksy on the wall of the albert...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here