Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Proper Salt Beef sandwiches from a Jewish deli with Gherkins and Hot mustard...there was a pub in Notting Hill gate that I used to visit where the Landlord had Hot Salt beef joints in the carvery which were thick cut and served on Granary bread...I have never eaten a finer thing in my life.

Bagelman has a reasonable attempt at this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Oct 25, 2003
there's a persian place in newcastle that's essentially a glorified kebab shop, but no word of a lie i've never EVER tasted meat so good

oh, and a load of shit hot spanish places up here aswell for some reason

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry :down:

My favourite curry shop was closed down by the baliffs a few months ago - I always thought it was a hidden gem, clearly it was just that, hidden. I have since been looking for a new curryhouse in Wolverhampton, there are lots of them about, but I feel that they all need to be sampled before I can decide which is my favourite. Currently I have found one, which has the perfect atmosphere and good food and another with horrible atmosphere but wonderful food.

As for Italian, there is a nice place called Cataldo's in School street, Wolverhampton. The food is gorgeous, but it is very expensive. Don Salvo in Wolves is also does good Italian grub.

A fellow poster on here, crodonilson, has recommended a Carribean place to me, which I am yet to sample too.

All this food talk is maing me ruddy hungry, fortunately the other half is making a sweet Thai curry tonight. :yumyum:

Any good Caribbean places in Brighton? One thing I miss from my days in London is some Jamaican grub.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ethiopian restaurant called Menelik near where i live Caledonian Road N1.....Not sure what they serve......? i could guess and say a red cross parcel, but would get slated so i wont............just what is ethiopian food ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Any good Caribbean places in Brighton? One thing I miss from my days in London is some Jamaican grub.

has there ever been one in Brighton?

Summer Breeze in Hither Green Lane Catford, and Cummin Up (New Cross Road and others) are f***ing amazing. My personal faves.

Why West Indian food has never taken off in Britain outside of their 'areas' has always baffled me. f***ing brilliant stuff.

There is nothing more British than fish and chips – eaten with salt and vinegar, fish and chips is one of our Great British institutions.

Humble Beginnings

But where did this famous culinary delight originate? The simple answer is that no one really knows. We do know that fish and chips were developed separately. The French invented chips or “chipped pommes de terre a la mode” (from the humble potato commonly believed to have been brought to Europe by Sir Walter Raleigh in the 17 th century), and in 1839 Charles Dickens referred to a “fried fish warehouse” in Oliver Twist.

The great British fish and chip trade grew out of these existing small businesses which sold fish and chips separately in the streets and alleys of London and some of Britain’s industrial towns in the 1850’s.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There is nothing more British than fish and chips – eaten with salt and vinegar, fish and chips is one of our Great British institutions.

Humble Beginnings

But where did this famous culinary delight originate? The simple answer is that no one really knows. We do know that fish and chips were developed separately. The French invented chips or “chipped pommes de terre a la mode” (from the humble potato commonly believed to have been brought to Europe by Sir Walter Raleigh in the 17 th century), and in 1839 Charles Dickens referred to a “fried fish warehouse” in Oliver Twist.

The great British fish and chip trade grew out of these existing small businesses which sold fish and chips separately in the streets and alleys of London and some of Britain’s industrial towns in the 1850’s.
pretty boring and bland if we are honest.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
For me (and my dog) Polish sausages being available at every corner shop near me in the last few years has been fantastic.

Once a Brighton boy, always a Brighton boy :yahoo:

Summer Breeze in Hither Green Lane Catford, and Cummin Up (New Cross Road and others) are f***ing amazing. My personal faves.

Why West Indian food has never taken off in Britain outside of their 'areas' has always baffled me. f***ing brilliant stuff.

can't recall whether this is still there but Queens Road......on the way to the club shop.....

150x150_e0e5e72a3d91e187bb612addee193ecf.jpg
The Tamarind Tree
48 Queen's Road
Brighton (South Coast of England; 1hr from London). +44 (0) 1273 298816. EDITOR REVIEW:
The stress-free ambience consumes you upon entering this unique establishment. Reggae music helps set the tone while exotic aromas of Jamaican and Caribbean cuisine pervade the atmosphere. Menu items include red snapper, tropical fish soup, Jamaican fruits, and various vegetarian selections. Bring your own bottle of wine (for a small fee), or enjoy one of the fresh fruit juices available. The service is friendly and the prices are affordable.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
can't recall whether this is still there but Queens Road......on the way to the club shop.....

150x150_e0e5e72a3d91e187bb612addee193ecf.jpg
The Tamarind Tree
48 Queen's Road
Brighton (South Coast of England; 1hr from London). +44 (0) 1273 298816. EDITOR REVIEW:
The stress-free ambience consumes you upon entering this unique establishment. Reggae music helps set the tone while exotic aromas of Jamaican and Caribbean cuisine pervade the atmosphere. Menu items include red snapper, tropical fish soup, Jamaican fruits, and various vegetarian selections. Bring your own bottle of wine (for a small fee), or enjoy one of the fresh fruit juices available. The service is friendly and the prices are affordable.

The tamarind tree was f***ing class. Is it still there? Top place. Bring your own but handily placed for Queens Road Wines.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Anybody know if the dread who used to do the sound system at Concorde II still has a pub in Shoreham that has a Jamaican menu? Keep meaning to go there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Caribbean is good stuff, jerk chicken, curried goat, sweet potato, its spicy but fairly stodge so you'd expect to be as popular as the Curry.

talking of curry, there's a lot of difference to that depending on region and im particulalry fond of Pakistani style in found in E1, which is heavier on the meat and bread than your typical high street fare (not a korma in sight). also recently discovered Lebenese, which was very nice too, kebabs with more flavour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here