Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm thinking of switching supermarkets

What should i do??

• Stay with Sainsburys - you're paying for quality

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Shop at ASDA - if it's good enough for PIKIES...

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Switch to Somerfield - I's pretty cheap and the standard is okay

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Go to Tesco - It's a fair way away but it'll be worth it

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
There's been a LIDL in Burgess Hill for a good many years now, and only a few months ago did I venture in there for the first time in search of batteries (I was desperate). It was really bizarre - no kind of shelving, just 3 or 4 rows of boxed food stretching the length of the store. It kinda freaked me out. Not making that mistake again.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Most people THINK they are paying for quality at Sainsburys but the truth is it is a combination of clever marketing and high quality packaging.

Asda is best for prices.

Tesco seems to have a very good range.

Safeway is too expensive but Morrisons will have an effect on this eventually. Their northern stores are excellent.

Albion Rob

The missus and I always shop at Tesco. The bit extra you pay canalways be saved in offers.

Although when I say shop, I mean she picks up the stuff and I push the trolley round.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
A productive thread.
I used to shop at Asda at the marina. Didnt like, but it was cheap. Then they opened Tescos in Church Road. Happy days. Its nice and big, easy to park and there is genreally at least 8 nice birds you can oggle at on the way round. I was a Tescos boy in B.H and Im one in Hove. I'd love to shop in Waitrose but cant afford it. One of mates reckons you know youve made
it in life when you can afford to buy Ribena at Waitrose and not bother looking at the price!
Razi, tell her its Tescos or she can do it on her own.
Chappers, go to Tescos, you wont regret it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If £1 in every £8 spent on the highstreet goes into the pockets of Tesco's then it's clear they're doing something right.

We probably use Tescos more than any other - but that's because in Wimbledon we have two very handy sized stores. One is a Tesco Metro right in the middle of the town centre and the other is a handy sized petrol station which stock most things you'll need.

It's clean, affordable and well turned out - and they were the first supermarket I can remember where the staff bother to help you pack your stuff.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Right.

On my next shop I am gonna try TESCO.

Thanks for your help and i hope you are right.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Oh, and something that is quite important to me - I really did NOT enjoy using the Asda shopping trolleys. I dont know if I just had a bad trolley - but I tend to find that the Tesco ones are far superior.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simster said:
If £1 in every £8 spent on the highstreet goes into the pockets of Tesco's then it's clear they're doing something right.
Fookin' 'ell.
No WONDER Tesco are ROLLING in it if 12.5% of the High Street cash is finding its way there as well.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Totally agree with tedebear.

Asda does equal Walmart. Double boo and hiss.

A million workers treated like absolute shite.

Sainsbury man meself.

Only 'cos it's the closest, which is basically what it boils down to.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Razi said:
There's been a LIDL in Burgess Hill for a good many years now, and only a few months ago did I venture in there for the first time in search of batteries (I was desperate). It was really bizarre - no kind of shelving, just 3 or 4 rows of boxed food stretching the length of the store. It kinda freaked me out. Not making that mistake again.

No way Jose! They've fairly recently built a new LIDL near where i live in Eastbourne. Having seen the shell suited pikey scum that frequent it i'm not even going in just to have a laugh. Even the car park is full of souped up boy racer Novas. The irony is that they obviously think the demand is there despite there being an ASDA & TESCOS within the same mile radius.

Of course i do all my grocery shopping at M&S!:p

Last edited:

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Asda is indeed cheap as chips - worth going there for the ridiculously cheap DVDs, CDs and kitchenware but as for food it's a bit skanky. Most Asda's also smell awful. And check your wallet periodically.

Sainsburys - very good food but agree with the clever packaging. Can't beat Sainsbury's fresh pasta and sauces. V. good, but slightly expensive.

So it has to be Tescos - good all rounder. Can sometimes be a bit skanky like Asda, but mostly good quality food, decent priced CDs, DVDs etc and booze section usually pleasing. Great value too.

Stay with the blue and white stripes!!!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Soul Finger said:
Totally agree with tedebear.

Asda does equal Walmart. Double boo and hiss.

A million workers treated like absolute shite.

:clap:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Get out of Sainsburys. I don't want poor people shopping beside me.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
empire said:
cant beat marks and spencers im afraid

too right.

I LOVE buying food from M & S.

It tastes really nice and makes me feel like I am rich even though I have very little money!!

BTW, at Toddington services on the M1 they have a Marks and Spencers 'Simply Food' shop. It is well good! I normally only stop at Welcome Break service stations cos they have KFC but will always make the exception for Toddington.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Don't be a snob. Come and shop at Asda like I do.

One minute you are all saying that you don't judge people and everyone is entitled to do their own thing........:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here