Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm surprised that Germany have never won the world cup.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Man: You sit here, dear.
Wife: All right.
Man: Morning!
Waitress: Morning!
Man: Well, what've you got?
Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam...
Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...
Vikings: Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.
Wife: Have you got anything without spam?
Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.
Wife: I don't want ANY spam!
Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?
Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!
Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam... (Crescendo through next few lines...)
Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?
Waitress: Urgghh!
Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like spam!
Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up!
Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.
Wife: I don't like spam!
Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!
Vikings: Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.
Man: Well could I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?
Waitress: You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)
Vikings: (Singing elaborately...) Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I don't remember the team being known as West Germany at the time, I believe we just called them Germany. However, I've looked up thier squad for the tournament and they were certainly all players with West German clubs. I think the team was West Germany but the word West has been added to records since the event to make this clear. I also looked up England's squad and we named 22 players but only took 17 the other 5 being left at home on standby. I'm ashamed to say there was one player named I don't think I've ever heard of, Allenby Chilton of Man U, anybody?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, to be strictly accurate, there was never such a country as West Germany.

The name was the Federal Republic of Germany - as opposed to the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). After unification, the country continued to be known as the Federal Republic of Germany, it's just that there are now 16 laender rather than 11. I'm pretty sure that, constitutionally, Germany and "West" Germany are seen as the same so Germany has certainly won three World Cups. I'm sure MoH will correct me if I have that wrong

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Well, to be strictly accurate, there was never such a country as West Germany.

The name was the Federal Republic of Germany - as opposed to the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). After unification, the country continued to be known as the Federal Republic of Germany, it's just that there are now 16 laender rather than 11. I'm pretty sure that, constitutionally, Germany and "West" Germany are seen as the same so Germany has certainly won three World Cups. I'm sure MoH will correct me if I have that wrong

You are right that the BRD (Bundesrepublik Deutschland or Federal Republic of Germany) is the current name of Germany, as it was before reunification. I haven't got a clue about the constitutional set up though.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
From Wiki:

'Three German teams

After the Second World War, Germany was banned from competition in most sports until about 1950, with none of the three new German states, West Germany, East Germany and Saarland, entering the 1950 FIFA World Cup qualifiers as the DFB was only reinstated as full FIFA member after this World Cup.
[edit] West Germany

As in most aspects of life, the pre-war traditions and organisations of Germany were carried on by the Federal Republic of Germany, which was referred to as West Germany. This applied also to the restored DFB which had its headquarters in Frankfurt am Main and still employed coach Sepp Herberger. With recognition by FIFA and UEFA, the DFB maintained and continued the record of the pre-war team. Neighboring Switzerland was once again the first team that would play (now West) Germany in 1950, with Turkey and Republic of Ireland being the only non-German speaking nations to play them in friendly matches during 1951.[4]

After only 18 post war games in total, West Germany had qualified for the 1954 World Cup, having prevailed against Norway and the "third German state", the Saarland.'

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
My favourite playground joke from 40 odd years ago...

'The East German pole vault champion has just become the West German pole vault champion...'

Geddit!?

Last edited:

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
My favourite playground joke from 40 odd years ago...

'The East German pole vault champion has just become the West German pole vault champion...'

Geddit!?

Is this her? Probably not, too feminine.

foto_Erneuter-Sieg-f%C3%BCr-Silke-Spiegelburg_1683e6c1c77ef2a4c2c0acdb460ccf939e9761453b.jpg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
1954 was nine years AFTER WW2, and nine years after we split them in two for all the right reasons. Therefore a unified Germany has never won the world cup, a bit like they have never won a world war. Shame on them.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It would probably be claimed that the former West Germany is the same as Germany today - it just took over the authority of the East of the country after the collapse of the Berlin Wall.

Yep, and according to FIFA, Germany have inherited West Germany's World Cup history, meaning Germany and West Germany are the same. Is this potentially the most pointless NSC thread since the groundhog day one?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What? Split them for the right reasons? Which ones?

The Federal Republic of Germany never became a sovereign state until 1955.

Not quite true. It became an independent state on 23 May 1949, it was recognised as such by other countries in 5 May 1955. It joined NATO four days later.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Do you think after unification here, that West Ham will become "Ham United" and West Brom, "Bromwich United"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here