Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'I'm no Abramovich' says new Brighton chairman

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thank you Tony

Now all we need is some fans. How can the club best go about attracting the fans from Sussex we've lost over the last 15 years?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The argus has a good piece as well.
two company names Tribeca Tables and St Minver with the first link on google for the first one being about £139,000,000 but the rest of the link is blocked at work

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I like the way that the publicity machine has started moving.
A little bit of profile raising doesn't hurt when wanting to attract a better class of player to the squad, they will all know who we are now and that we mean business.
I must stop pinching myself I'm getting a rash!

Absolutely correct!:thumbsup:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Oh yeah, Compare Bloom to bamber?
The difference being Bloom wants to create a legacy for his family and the most important being that he is a brighton fan and in it for the long run, Please dont compare bamber the money grabbing prick to bloom

Harsh on Mike Bamber...before he took control,we were going nowhere.Under his chairmanship we achieved heights that previously we could only dream of.

Mike Bamber R.I.P.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
but the rest of the link is blocked at work

:thumbsup:

Tony Bloom, Albion’s new multi-millionaire chairman, launched his love of gambling on the fruit machines of West Street.

Betting has played a large part in Bloom’s fortune-building and his late grandfather Harry, the Seagulls’ former vice-chairman, was his inspiration.

Harry used to take his grandson to games at The Goldstone during the 1970s.

Bloom also inherited his grandad’s liking for a flutter, spending his school days at the centre of Brighton’s nightlife near the seafront.

“From the age of eight or nine I used to go down to the arcades in West Street with some friends and play with our pocket money on the fruit machines,” he said.

“We tried to get an edge, even then. That wasn’t possible but we had fun.

“My grandad was a gambler at heart. He was very much into betting on horses and greyhounds. I guess he was quite similar to me in many ways.

“He had a huge passion for football, a huge passion for the Albion and he loved to gamble.

“The slight difference was he wasn’t quite as successful at gambling as I have been! He passed away 30 years ago but he is still very much in my heart.”

From such low-stake beginnings it has been a fruit-to-riches fairytale for Bloom to the point where, at the age of 39, he has pumped £80 million worth of interest-free and unsecured loans into the club to secure the Falmer Stadium project.

A man with such a good head for figures would appreciate the small probability of that happening.

Bloom was educated at Lancing College before gaining a degree in mathematics at Manchester University.

He never contemplated one day becoming chairman of his favourite football club.

“What did I want to be at school? Like a lot of kids I wanted to be a professional footballer but by about ten or eleven I realised that was highly unlikely.

“Apart from going to university I never really gave it much thought. I guess getting into business and being successful and doing something I enjoyed.

“Even in the latter part of university I was making money out of gambling but it wasn’t my job.

“I spent a couple of years working for an accountancy firm. On top of that I was quite successful betting on sports.”

Poacher-turned-gamekeeper when Bloom was approached by bookmakers Victor Chandler about Asian handicap football betting, a name derived from its popularity in the Far East.

Favourites are handicapped to even up the chances, with the draw removed. Hence, if Albion were playing Manchester United, the price might be quoted as Albion +2, so United would have to overcome a two-goal disadvantage for a punter to win money on them.

“I was one of the first people outside of Asia to take a keen interest and an understanding of it,” Bloom said. “I worked in Thailand for seven months, then Gibraltar for three years.”

Bloom established his own on-line football betting company, Premierbet, which he sold to a company which went into administration.

He enjoyed more success with on-line gaming companies Tribeca Tables and St Minver, both of which were bought by blue chip organisations.

Bloom’s portfolio is diverse. He began investing in private equity companies and start-up businesses in his mid to late twenties and his property interests, both commercial and residential, stretch as far afield as Panama, South Africa and Australia.

Bloom’s wife is Australian and they have a 15-month old son, so there is less time these days for his hobby, poker, although he is off to Las Vegas in July to compete in the World Series.

His greatest passion of all now is Albion. After eight years shoring up losses at Withdean and attending Board meetings as a shareholder, the £93 million cost of the Falmer Stadium project and the danger of the credit crunch preventing it from happening has hastened him into the chair.

“It’s a bit of a no-brainer really,” he said. “I absolutely love the club, I’m passionate about the club.

“Dick (former chairman Dick Knight), us and the Board have worked tirelessly to get Falmer.

“Now that we are that close I have got the ability to make those loans. I want current and future Albion fans, my potential grandchildren, to have a football club to go to and that has to be Falmer, so it is down to me to get that to happen.”

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
brought a little tear to my eye that.

with him and slade at the helm, both being so reasoned, articulate and passionate, things are looking pretty bloody good right now!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Playtech Limited, the online gaming software licensor, announced it is to
acquire Tribeca Tables Europe Limited for a maximum consideration of $139m.

Tribeca Tables is the software company that provides Paddy Power’s poker
network solution. The acquisition will lead to increased player liquidity on
the Playtech poker network, which is important from Paddy Power’s perspective.

Following the passing of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act 2006,
some online poker operators decided to continue to allow US players play on
their networks, creating a so called ‘black market’ in the sector. The player
liquidity on these networks tends to be higher than on non-US playing sites,
such as Tribeca and Playtech. Tribeca made the decision to block certain
territories, including the US, from its operations following the enactment of
the UIGEA 2006. This is consistent with Playtech’s decision to stop licensing
its software to existing and future operators who accept bets from US players.
Previously, network operators such as Tribeca and Playtech maintained that they
were solely a ‘software provider’ to the online gaming industry. However, it is
clear that companies such as Tribeca and Playtech could be targeted under the
UIGEA 2006 and as a result, they have made the decision to exclude US players.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Playtech Limited, the online gaming software licensor, announced it is to
acquire Tribeca Tables Europe Limited for a maximum consideration of $139m.

Tribeca Tables is the software company that provides Paddy Power’s poker
network solution. The acquisition will lead to increased player liquidity on
the Playtech poker network, which is important from Paddy Power’s perspective.

Following the passing of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act 2006,
some online poker operators decided to continue to allow US players play on
their networks, creating a so called ‘black market’ in the sector. The player
liquidity on these networks tends to be higher than on non-US playing sites,
such as Tribeca and Playtech. Tribeca made the decision to block certain
territories, including the US, from its operations following the enactment of
the UIGEA 2006. This is consistent with Playtech’s decision to stop licensing
its software to existing and future operators who accept bets from US players.
Previously, network operators such as Tribeca and Playtech maintained that they
were solely a ‘software provider’ to the online gaming industry. However, it is
clear that companies such as Tribeca and Playtech could be targeted under the
UIGEA 2006 and as a result, they have made the decision to exclude US players.

That's the one, thank you. Not a bad little sum of money that

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
D'you know,one of the best things about this huge investment in the Albion is that I'll be able to spend the £4.53 I was going to put in on other ventures.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
That's the one, thank you. Not a bad little sum of money that

I'm sure this will put to bed some of the dross that Lord B has been spouting about how there is no evidence that Tony has run successful businesses :rolleyes:

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
So...which is correct? If they can't get Bloom Junior's age right then what are the chances the other information is correct??

Bloom’s ambitions for the club are plain even though he will not be present every day – his wife is Australian and he has a 17-year-old son Down Under.

Bloom’s wife is Australian and they have a 15-month old son, so there is less time these days for his hobby, poker, although he is off to Las Vegas in July to compete in the World Series.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Just to clarify, Tony's son is 15 months old. He does not have a 17-year-old son, this is a misprint and has been amended by the Times.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Indeed, I Wonder what would of happened had we gone down, would bloom have taken over and if he hadnt would falmer have been built :shrug:

Oh well, Lets think to the future... :clap2:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Pretty tame stuff really.i mean he isnt going to say bad naughty things like im going to pump £93 mill in to the club,bag the remaining shares in the club then sell the ground to forfars the family baker for £94 mill is he.The bit i like is the ile be in the background bit and there if needed.Good luck to him and us all on the next adventures of brighton and hove albion fc.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Yet again - as with Mr Slade - he comes across as considered and articulate. He's cautiously optimistic which is good. I'm very impressed but will be interesting the first time we see this man's steel. You don't get rich without having a very hard streak. Did we see the first sign in the one comment "we have to be run it a little more professionally"? First hint of a criticism of DK and the way he was running things.

agreed - and despite all the plaudits that dk should receive for his sterling work over the years, this provides a fresh injection of interest in the club, at probably the perfect time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here