Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm liking the new 'Bloom era'

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Dick Knight's tenure was the most important and needed in BHAFC history. Fact.
The archer and bellotti era was the worst. Facked.

What do you say to the guy who ran the relay event three times further than he was supposed to, beyond exhaustion and on his knees without the end in sight, then handed the vital baton to another athlete who could take it down the home stretch feeling fit as a fiddle?

DK should get a proper salute on the day that Falmer Stad opens for our first match there.

Damn right! :thumbsup:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Just to set the record straight, DK didn't "fail" over the Falmer funding - there was the little matter of a world-wide credit crunch. The UK came within a few days of being completely bankrupt. Far, far larger organisations than B&HA FC came to grief as a result.

That's not to say we shouldn't be eternally grateful to TB - he is an absolute hero. But let's not forget that DK got us Falmer (with a lot of help, obviously) - but he was the guy who kept the whole project going, against HUGE odds. And the whole Falmer campaign was immensely professional. It was NOT being run "like some village PTA group". There are quite a few clubs much larger than ourselves who are making a pig's breakfast of getting planning permission for new stadia, in theoretically far easier situations than ours. Fortunately we had (and have) a bunch of very professional guys running our club. The main difference now is that the bloke at the top has got some money.

Damn right #2 !!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I too like the Bloom era. He's not prepared to let things drift into decline on the pitch. Mind you, he's got the funds to ensure that doesn't happen. But even so, he seems to have his eye on the ball :thumbsup:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
As Digweeds Trousers pointed out - we needed both DK and TB.

The one thing that does seem to get overlooked though is that DK was the one that finally got rid of Archer. Even after DK took over Archer was a shareholder for quite some time - thanks to DK "persuading" him to sell his shares we finally got rid of the :censored: !

Somebody on here is talking sense.

Why do some people feel the need to have a pop at DK at every opportunity? Let's try and remember who the real villains were/are over the last 12 years or so. Had it not been for FPC/LDC and their puppet support groups the stadium would have been built for approximately its original cost which would have been fairly easy to raise in the 'give credit to anybody' era that the business model was founded on.

Thankfully, TB stepped in when he was most needed.

They are both legends-albeit for different reasons. Legends nonetheless.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Agree with the recent posts on this thread. Both DK and TB were vital parts of the modern era Story of the Seagull. And yes, in the right and perfect order too!

As a footnote, it's worth noting that Liverpool and Southend are amongst clubs who have recently seen new stadium plans scuppered due to finances.

And although some projects ARE progressing (eg Morecambe) that (those) projects are not on anywhere near the same scale as ours.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I too like the Bloom era. He's not prepared to let things drift into decline on the pitch. Mind you, he's got the funds to ensure that doesn't happen. But even so, he seems to have his eye on the ball :thumbsup:

Indeed, and he's got ALLIGATOR blood and a solid gold pet lizard.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Dick was well past it and although brought us back to brighton that was really about it.Mind you that was the only option for whoever took over and sadly all knight done was put us more into debt year by year and get the begging bowls out.Tony bloom is a breath of fresh air and the club is finally moving on for great times.

But i do appreciate the lttle bit that dick did do whatever that was:D

Bloody marvel that bloom

How is it for you?

Whilst I will always be grateful to Dick Knight for what he did, the club did seem a bit 'cottage industry' under his stewardship.

Under Bloom we seem a lot more professional. The stadium is actually being built, the ticketing has come on leaps and bounds, we have new shirts in the shop before the season starts in a variety of sizes not prefixed with 'XXX' and we even have a foreign manager. And let's face it, we all know they are winners.

I do miss little quirks like putting my cup ticket application in a dust bin in a dark corner outside Withers but we do have to move on.

Here's to Mr Bloom and the next chapter in our wonderful history.
YEP EVERYONE HAPPY WITH THE TICKETING:rant:

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Bloom was always going to be destined for chairman. He was always going to be one of the funding sources. The difference however, is that the banks effictively told the club to f*** off, there not lending any money. Bloom then stepped in and coughed up the required sum. It was always going to be an option.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Just to set the record straight, DK didn't "fail" over the Falmer funding - there was the little matter of a world-wide credit crunch. The UK came within a few days of being completely bankrupt. Far, far larger organisations than B&HA FC came to grief as a result.

That's not to say we shouldn't be eternally grateful to TB - he is an absolute hero. But let's not forget that DK got us Falmer (with a lot of help, obviously) - but he was the guy who kept the whole project going, against HUGE odds. And the whole Falmer campaign was immensely professional. It was NOT being run "like some village PTA group". There are quite a few clubs much larger than ourselves who are making a pig's breakfast of getting planning permission for new stadia, in theoretically far easier situations than ours. Fortunately we had (and have) a bunch of very professional guys running our club. The main difference now is that the bloke at the top has got some money.

What you said, sir. Falmer wouldn't be much use to Brighton and Hove United, in the Isthmian League, would it? As that's what we would have been left with if Knight had not stepped in, and unlike AFC Wimbledon with no alternative venue closely at hand (I could not have seen B and H Council allowing a reformed club to use Withdean, and Woodside Road would never be got up to League standard). Not that I wish to do down Bloom's contribution, without which the club would not be able to go forward.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Dick did well for us in getting us back to Brighton and early success but by the end was hopelessly out of his depth. Falmer would still be a green field and we'd be on the verge of administration now if Bloom hadnt saved his arse. His ego was also rampantly out of control and the Wilkins/Adams fiasco has set us back 3 years on the playing side of affairs.

D

Deleted member 2719

Dick did well for us in getting us back to Brighton and early success but by the end was hopelessly out of his depth. Falmer would still be a green field and we'd be on the verge of administration now if Bloom hadnt saved his arse. His ego was also rampantly out of control and the Wilkins/Adams fiasco has set us back 3 years on the playing side of affairs.

And counting... we're still behind where we were

Careful lads Dk entourage will stick you in the stocks.

:smile:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, Albion Dan and Stumpy Tim are right, he should have resigned the season after we got back to Withdean :shootself

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm not, I think the man is an idiot. Give me Sir Dick any day.

No you just like to post something that doesn't agree with everyone for attention, I suggest you think about medical treatment for this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here