Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm in deep shit with my credit card company

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Sorry, I was being facetious early.
Good luck sorting everything out mate. As has been said already, get on top it ASAP and STOP SPENDING MONEY until you get things back on an even keel. Getting your debts sorted should be your top priority.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
Thanks dudes.

But so far, the best suggestion would seem to be faking my death. Any ideas on how to go about that, folks? :lolol:

You needed to be watching Shameless (or is it watching Shameless) either last Thursday or this Thursday on CH 4 (I get confused by watching the next episode on E4 straight after watching the latest episode on ch4, never know what week i'm in).

Deals with faking your death to get out of the reach of creditors. Apparently its something lesbians have a union or self help group for, or something.

If you did not watch this prog you missed a treat.

<edit> its Tuesday not Thursday and the last episode (dealing with fake death to avoid creditors) is next Tuesday, seen it on E4 this Tuesday, not as good as the rest of the seriers but still OK.</edit>

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Danny,

Hope this helps...

:lolol: Quoting from the above site...

Who has successfully faked their own death?
Before using this advice many people wish to know who else has successfully reaped the many benefits of pretending to be dead. Preferably famous people so that they know that I'm not making any of this up.
Napoleon Boneparte : Napoleon Boneparte was mistakenly thought to have been killed at the battle of Waterloo in 1789. In truth, he lived on an was later known as Isaac Newton and discovered how gravity worked.

Howard Hughes : Howard Hughes was one of the most well known recluses of the 20th century. The enigmatic billionaire was never in fact in hiding, rather he was pretending to be dead.

Marylin Monroe : While Marylin Monroe is in fact dead today, she did for a brief period fake her own death. This period began about 5 minutes before her actual death and lasted up until 3 days after her burial. Other experts in this field dispute my claim that Marilyn Monroe could actually be faking her own death at the same time as being really dead, but I believe that this demonstrates that other so called experts are nothing more than incompetent amateurs who have no commitment to this complex and sophisticated field of study.

Elvis Presley: Elvis is often thought by many as another famous person who has been able to fake his own demise, however in reality he was pretending to pretend to be dead, which is the technical jargon for really being dead.

Last edited:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Capital One are weird american fuckers. Because I wasnt using my Cap One card regularly enough they decided to put up the APR , mistakenly to try and make more money out of me :shootself .

I then told them to f*** off, and transferred my balance to another company with a much cheaper rate....

Ever since then theve sent me begging letters asking me to come back ?

:shootself :shootself

The only consolation is that MBNA are even worse. They are like getting involved with the Moonies. They NEVER want to let you go. :bigwave:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon you got to bite the bullet on this one Danny & ask your parents or whoever for the dosh. Chop up the card and pay your folks off good as gold. Transfering the debt from one financial institution to another - even if they don't ask too many questions - is only storing up trouble for the future. No point in getting blacklisted unless you absolutely have to. Good luck.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
1) get a new card, if you chose to. i can assure you that the supposed horror stories above are not true for a couple of late payments. proves this board to be full of drama queens.

2) better still ring them up and ask for 3 years to pay. absolutely no probs.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Danny, the only way you're gonna get out of this is to pay up.

Using credit cards is easy, basically they are a way of avoiding paying for something for two months. So the rule is as follows - make your purchase right at the start of your billing period and don't buy anything that you can't afford to pay off totally two months later. Easy, two months grace and no interest.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Danny. Can you save any money reguarly. If so put it in a credit union, there are a couple in Brighton. Once you have saved with them you can borrow three times what you have saved and pay the union back with no interest, at the same amount you were saving.

Alternativley, plead to Capital One to top the card fully and give the debt to a colletion agency. I have been there, post qualification. You will have to pay a regular agreed amount, but the interest will be frozen. Therefore you will only pay what you owe.

On this you will be blacklisted, but I suspect you may be able to sleep an awful lot easier. My debt was for £600, and is now fully cleared. Whilst paying the collection agency and if you are applying for credit you must mention what ahs gone on before. If you do not you will definatley not get the money.

Lastly, what ever you decide, good luck.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
:(

Sounds a good suggestion BR but my bank won't allow me an OD until I stop going overdrawn (which I do pretty much every week until payday) and have had monthly payments going in there for more then 6 months. I've only been in my current job for 2.
I'm up shit creek without a paddle. They're threatening to seize my assets and everything. Not my assets, you can't take my assets :cry:
I just got a 3k loan as im now job-less,but what you owe is peanuts my son and nothing to worry about you gay youth.:lolol:
You don't have any assets:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dover97 is spot on here Danny.
I used to work in credit card collections. YOU MUST PHONE THEM TOMORROW. The longer you leave it, the worse it will get. You will get hammered with interest and charges until you sort it. Believe it or not, they ARE there to help and they can help you get it sorted, but you must talk to them.

Phone up and explain your circumstances. Make them a specific monthly proposal of what you can realistically afford. They will probably want to run through all your Income and Expenditure details, and will make an arrangement based on those. You can probably get a 6 month arrangement with interest frozen. After 6 months, they'll review it and you can negotiate a continuation if your circumstances are no better.

If you agree to an arrangement then ensure you keep to it - they won't by sympathetic again if you keep defaulting on a concessionary arrangement. £400 is not a huge amount, and as long as you don't take the piss out of them, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at the assistance they'll give you. But the longer you leave it, the more expensive its gonna get.

Let us know how you get on mate.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
dover97 said:
Danny. Can you save any money reguarly. If so put it in a credit union, there are a couple in Brighton. Once you have saved with them you can borrow three times what you have saved and pay the union back with no interest, at the same amount you were saving.

Alternativley, plead to Capital One to top the card fully and give the debt to a colletion agency. I have been there, post qualification. You will have to pay a regular agreed amount, but the interest will be frozen. Therefore you will only pay what you owe.

On this you will be blacklisted, but I suspect you may be able to sleep an awful lot easier. My debt was for £600, and is now fully cleared. Whilst paying the collection agency and if you are applying for credit you must mention what ahs gone on before. If you do not you will definatley not get the money.

Lastly, what ever you decide, good luck.

Blacklisting is 6 years if its a Court Order or up to 6 years if its an arrangement directly with a creditor (depends on how long the credit ef agencys keep records for. Been looking at experian recently and they record how many missed payments there are in the last 3 years.)

I have been there done all that, had a court approved voluntry arrangement with all the creiditors I had. ( I had to go to court and ask for all the court orders I had rolled into one payment and I had to include all debts that I had that were not court orders too.)

Took me 5 years to pay that off (I was paying 5 or 10 quid a week or something) after 6 years my credit reference was clear.

I then had to rebuild my credit rating again. I started with catalogues because basicly the accept anyone!

i now have a credit rating of 0 (no worries basiclly can get credit from anyone. Have over 10 cards and I owe nothing on any of them.)

As everyone has said don't bury your head in the sand, contact CO and see what they are prepared to accept

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Bloody hell Danny £400 is half a months wages and it is not as if you actually have anything to spend it on. Just don't go to the Event for one night in your life!

I've got so many other mates that owe :jester: loads of money on credit cards-you need to pay it all off or you'll just pay the interest each month and never the actual amount you owe.

What did you spend £400 on anyway?

fatboy said:
What did you spend £400 on anyway?

I spent the £200 limit as soon as I got the card on nights out, hotel rooms etc. I was between jobs at the time. Now I owe £400 because of all the stupid non-payment/late payment/overlimit charges (duh, I'm over the limit cos you keep charging me for nothing) they keep adding on. I gave up paying the £20 a month because frankly, I was sick of wasting money. Why bother putting £20 on it when they take 70 off or something ridiculous. They keep hassling me and sending me texts and sending me letters saying I'm gonna default :( I'm gonna ring them up in a bit anyhow to ask for one of these income & expenditure forms, if I put on that I'm a full time student and my only income is tenner a week pocket money from my parents surely then they'll understand and quit hassling me for money!

I destroyed the card long ago and can't use it even I wanted to. Never get credit cards, they are evil.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
FFS phone them up and agree a repayment scheme.

In the bigger picture what you owe is very little but by ignoring it will lead to greater consequences later on.

Get it sorted first thing on Monday morning or now - surely they are open W/E ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here