Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm concerned

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Maybe initially the residents were ok with it because it was just temporary, but don't you think they will have also softened on the fans due to our conduct? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just think there has been so little incident, that most of the locals will have noticed their nightmare scenarios never came to pass.

I hope you're right about people not caring by the time we get to falmer.

Whether they have softened or not is not the central point I'm making. I didn't say they haven't softened - I'm saying they would still rather we weren't there. I'm sure they have come to realise we're not bad neighbours and that their worst fears (some of which were completely potty) did not come to pass.

My main is about your concern. I don't know anyone who would REALLY go round Falmer village, and, er... well, do what, exactlty? Piss in the pond?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Piss in the pond?
Don't drink the water. Fish f*** in it.

Nobody in their right mind actually wants to live next door to a sports stadium (other than the occasional deranged fan who ought to know better) because of the disruption it entails.

However fans tend not to burn down the neighbourhood (although they may piss in the bushes), or ravage the local virgins (or in Falmer's case, the local sheep).

I think your concern is misplaced. There may be a risk of the very isolated rampage when Palarse visit for old times sake, but BHA fans don't have a great reputation for being hard - regardless of what a few fantasists on here may think -and tend to go home quietly bemoaning their lot after the game.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I really do think there is nothing to worry about. I used to live in Newtown Road when we were still at the Goldstone, at a time when fans still didn't behave that well, and it was just kicking-off with all the Archer and Bellotti shit.

Honestly, on matchdays, yes the road used to get lots of people walking up and down outside my front door, but you really didn't notice it. For the people of Falmer Village, they really won't see the supporters unless they go into the Village itself. And for what reason would any of the supporters have for going into the village? None.

There is an awful lot of cyber-bravado going on on this forum, I don't imagine for a minute that anybody, even one individual, is going to give two hoots when the stadium is up and running.

Even if we are in the BSP, which is absurd negative horseshit if ever I heard it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Nobody in their right mind actually wants to live next door to a sports stadium (other than the occasional deranged fan who ought to know better) because of the disruption it entails.

Are you sure ? Every other Saturday and a few evenings for nine months of the year ? What if that space was a retail outlet with a fast-food place ?

I always thought a stadium would be a good neighbour. You just know that there will be times when it will be hard to park the car.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I really can't see anyone bothering the villagers and no doubt as part of the ongoing consutations they will get some sort of police presence in the village.

However I hope we lift the roof at Falmer so they can hear every f*cking chant carry over to that village.

I always thought a stadium would be a good neighbour. You just know that there will be times when it will be hard to park the car.

I doubt that will be a problem for the Falmer residents as parking in the village will be either prohibited or restricted to residents only.
Anyone who thinks they're going to roll up for a game at 14:45 and leave their car parked on a public road anywhere in the vicinity of the stadium is going to get a surprise when the transport management plan is published. It'll be car parking at the universities (max 2200 spaces, possibly requiring a match ticket to access), P&R's and public transport.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did I not read somewhere that parking will be restricted to the uni car parks and even then there must be 4 people in the car to qualify for a permit to allow you use that facility, which you will still have to pay for.

Did I not read somewhere that parking will be restricted to the uni car parks and even then there must be 4 people in the car to qualify for a permit to allow you use that facility, which you will still have to pay for.

I think that's probably just gossip; the planning consent doesn't specify anything like this although a Travel Management Plan must be approved by B&H City Council before the stadium can be brought into use. This plan has to be prepared in consultation with a Travel Management Group which may/should have been established by now, the membership of this group is outlined in the planning consent. Relevant sections from the consent below fyi, I assume the arrangements for car park access etc will come under the "Capacity Location Management" section of the TMP (see 46.3).

39. The Stadium shall not be brought into use unless and until details of arrangements for car parking for a minimum of 2,000 and a maximum of 2,200 cars at Sussex University and Falmer High School or at alternative locations within 1.5km of the Stadium have been submitted to and approved by the Local Planning Authority and the said car parking provided. No Outdoor Event for which these parking spaces are required in accordance with the Travel Management Plan shall take place unless such parking spaces are available for use by persons attending the said Outdoor Event.

The total number of car parking spaces to be provided for Outdoor Event traffic shall not exceed 2,350 within 1.5km of the Stadium.

45. No development shall be commenced (with the exception of archaeological or other preliminary site investigations) until a Travel Management Group has been established in accordance with the terms of reference submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority for the purpose of consultation with interested parties as to arrangements for travel management associated with the use of the Stadium and the preparation of the Travel Management Plan as required by Condition 39. The parties to be invited to become members of the Travel Management Group shall include:

The Contractors (during the Construction Period)
The Company
Brighton and Hove City Council
The University of Brighton
The University of Sussex
Sussex Police
British Transport Police
East Sussex Fire Service
East Sussex Ambulance Service
East Sussex Highway Authority
The Highways Agency
Brighton and Hove Bus and Coach Company
Govia South Central
Lewes District Council
Falmer Parish Council

Or any successor body to the said groups, organisations or Councils.

46. The Stadium shall not be brought into use unless and until a Travel Management Plan prepared in consultation with the Travel Management Group has been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority.

The Travel Management Plan shall include details of:
1. Match ticket sales points;
2. Provision of Transport Voucher or equivalent and journeys/modes to be covered by the same;
3. Capacity location management and operational arrangements of Park and Ride sites and the Bus and Coach Park;
4. Provision of Signage directing vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists to Stadium and Parking;
5. Public Transport arrangements to be provided including (but not limited to) addition public transport capacity on Event Days;
6. A Parking Management Strategy for the Controlled Parking Zone as defined in Condition 48 below;
7. Methodology for assessment of additional traffic impacts;
8. Publicity arrangements in respect of parking restrictions in the vicinity of the Stadium including (but not limited to) restrictions on parking on the Falmer Campus of the University of Brighton in Falmer Village and in Stanmer Park and the use of non-car travel modes (to include away supporters);
9. Pedestrian routing to and from the Stadium;
10. Management of Pedestrian Routes;
11. An Information Strategy for publicity of travel details and advice of spectator behaviour;
12. Mechanism for monitoring and review of the Travel Management Plan;

No event with an anticipated attendance of 500 or more shall take place at the Stadium other than in accordance with the Travel Management Plan or such separate Travel Management Plan as shall have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority specific to that Event.

As I recall it, that was basically the Transport Plan as originally proposed (although I don't recall the requirement for four people to be in the vehicle - merely a requirement for multi-occupancy).

The real point is that there will be NO on-street free parking available within easy reach of the ground.

As I recall it, that was basically the Transport Plan as originally proposed (although I don't recall the requirement for four people to be in the vehicle - merely a requirement for multi-occupancy).

But now, post planning approval, it'll be down (assumimg it's then approved by B&HCC) to the Transport Management Plan being prepared in consultation with the Transport Management Group?

But now, post planning approval, it'll be down (assumimg it's then approved by B&HCC) to the Transport Management Plan being prepared in consultation with the Transport Management Group?

Yep. Lewes District Council and Falmer Parish Council will both have some input into this process.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't think any of the OP's concerns will come to pass. But, if there are one brain cell idiots intent on causing aggro that he predicts, then I hope the aggressors receive life bans.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
sadly there is little of interest in falmer Village, unless the pub changes hands. It's a tidy walk from the ground especially when most will arrive by train/park & ride almost right into the stadium.

Will the club still be doing P&R from a little further away, like the current 2 sites and poss add some at the Marina/Woodingdean/Racehill or Crowhurst Rd (one of the factory carparks) the Greyhound Stadium (with possible tie in deals for race night after football)? All thease would be within fairly easy reach of falmer bvia the bypass or falmer Rd (although that will need some control).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is the swan in the main falmer village, or is it the pub up just off the road that runs along the top of the university (the one that leads onto falmer road and the bridge going over the A27)?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Is the swan in the main falmer village, or is it the pub up just off the road that runs along the top of the university (the one that leads onto falmer road and the bridge going over the A27)?

As you head out of Brighton, towards the badlands of lewes, it's up that slip road to the left. It's the only pub.

From there to the ground would be about a 10 min strol across the flyover (so no good if scared of heights) which might be a nice walk if the weather is dry & not too windy. Once over the A27, you then have to cross the small but very busy junctions and the Falmer Road.

Much better to drink in a friendly pub near a station and train it....or drink at the wonderful new supporters bar!

Will the club still be doing P&R from a little further away, like the current 2 sites and poss add some at the Marina/Woodingdean/Racehill or Crowhurst Rd (one of the factory carparks) the Greyhound Stadium (with possible tie in deals for race night after football)? All thease would be within fairly easy reach of falmer bvia the bypass or falmer Rd (although that will need some control).
Mill Road, Mithras House and Brighton Racecourse were the sites mentioned at the Public Inquiry.

Brighton Racecourse will be useful for folk travelling by car from Newhaven, Peacehaven and Saltdean - provided they are sensible and drive up Wilson Avenue, rather than through Rottingdean and Woodingdean.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As you head out of Brighton, towards the badlands of lewes, it's up that slip road to the left. It's the only pub.

From there to the ground would be about a 10 min strol across the flyover (so no good if scared of heights) which might be a nice walk if the weather is dry & not too windy. Once over the A27, you then have to cross the small but very busy junctions and the Falmer Road.

Much better to drink in a friendly pub near a station and train it....or drink at the wonderful new supporters bar!

What about the groups of people that park in sussex uni car parks? If they park in the back or top ones, the flyover could be their quickest path to the stadium (as opposed to the tunnel under the A27 near Falmer train station), which takes them past the swan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here