Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Illiterate BBC reporters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I did email them to let them know my feelings on the subject and, surprise surprise, they've amended it to something resembling a sentence that is readable.

I am expecting a phone call soon asking me to appear on the next series of 'grumpy old men'.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
I get weirded out when they say someone 'fought their attacker off with all the tenaciousness of a lion...'

:angry: :angry: :angry:

talking about use of English....WTF does "wierded out" mean?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
talking about use of English....WTF does "wierded out" mean?
Ah, I am lapsing into the vernacular, possibly with a hint of hyperbole there, Dave.

It means, in this instance, that my head has gone into a spastic trance (I am sure a pyschiatrist will know the correct definitive term) which I have little or no control over when someone says a word which doesn't actually exist in the English language when common thought dictates otherwise.

There is no such word in the English language at 'tenaciousness'.

:)

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
fair enough.

I get the same reaction when someone in a meeting suggests a " thought Shower"

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Large One said:
I get weirded out when they say someone 'fought their attacker off with all the tenaciousness of a lion...'

:angry: :angry: :angry:
Tenaciousness? :thud:

It gets worse.

I wrote a very snotty letter to the Odeon when they advertised that Flight something-or-other film about the 9/11 aeroplane (yes, Americans, AEROplane is how it's spelt) hijacking.

It came with a warning that it contained 'scenes of extreme terrorisation'.

After I pointed out that they were trying to noun a verb that originated from a noun in the first place and that the word 'terror' would have sufficed, I received a curt response that the description came from the distributor.

I emailed back asking them if they would jump off the Palace Pier (yes, Noble Organisation, the Palace Pier, not the Brighton Pier) if asked to by the distributors. I also pointed out that making up words like that was indicative of a person who, with a poor grasp of the English language, was trying to sound cleverer than they actually were and was quite obviously failing.

They never replied.

Perhaps I ought not to get so worked up about things like this but if no-one makes a stand where will it all end?

Jade Goody-speak?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you want a good laugh, watch one of the BBC live news broadcasts with the speech recognition sub-titles. May well be state-of-the-art technology, but the end result is still complete gibberish :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here