Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ill voice on the phone.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Just wondering does anyone else have an ill voice when they phone into work sick. I have had it today when one of our members of staff phoned in and had the "eeerrrr I wont be in today eeemm ill" voice. But you know as soon as the phone goes down they're fine and watching Trisha.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Best way to do it is to phone in just as you wake up, and your voice box is still in the land of nod. Get a really gravelly death's-door voice then. Works every time.

(Hope my boss doesn't read this)

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Woodchip said:
Best way to do it is to phone in just as you wake up, and your voice box is still in the land of nod. Get a really gravelly death's-door voice then. Works every time.

I'm going to tell Tim :p

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Caveman said:
Just wondering does anyone else have an ill voice when they phone into work sick. I have had it today when one of our members of staff phoned in and had the "eeerrrr I wont be in today eeemm ill" voice. But you know as soon as the phone goes down they're fine and watching Trisha.

Find an excuse to ring them a couple of times during the day, just checking you are ok, etc - tell them that they sound a lot better and ask them what time their doctor's appointment is so you don't call when they are out.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Woodchip said:

He does!

150px-C-chalmers.jpg

SKINNER!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Re: Re: Ill voice on the phone.

timbha said:
Find an excuse to ring them a couple of times during the day, just checking you are ok, etc - tell them that they sound a lot better and ask them what time their doctor's appointment is so you don't call when they are out.

That's actually illegal.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Don't need an ill voice as I usually text / email in sick.:)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It always makes me laugh to think that no matter what is actually wrong with you, it simply HAS to include a sore croaky throat for the moment you phone up.

We all do it, as natural an instinct as asking a cabby "been busy?". I remember phoning in with an ear infection, which was absolute agony, but had no impact on my voice whatsoever, but it's almost impossible to talk normally when you are phoning in.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I had yesterday cos my mum fell down the stairs!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
My standard call in for a sickie is a clear and simple "can't come in, got the shits". Don't usually put on a voice

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I BAN people from texting or emailing in sick - they have to call and put on a silly voice. I INSIST on it, even if they have piles.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Caveman said:

hardly unusual,

everyone does that dont they?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I usually inject a pause in my excuses, a seizure in my pronouncement, a silent drama in my cry for help. During that, the manager will ask if i am still there. I tweet a reply and continue with my tale of greasy pants and excessive gas or a limp or a throb or an unchangeable erection. I will battle on through, i say.

In the past year, though, all i have to say is I DON'T FEEL RIGHT, and they are quite happy to think they stopped me dying by persuading me bed was better than life.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
I BAN people from texting or emailing in sick - they have to call and put on a silly voice. I INSIST on it, even if they have piles.

They'd sound like Alan Partridge then.

...great access for wheeeeeeeeeeelchairs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Ud9DGLBfQ

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The other cliche is to get your partner/flatmate etc to call in on your behalf. Hmm. Like you're so ill you can't even speak.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Meade's_Ball said:
I usually inject a pause in my excuses, a seizure in my pronouncement, a silent drama in my cry for help. During that, the manager will ask if i am still there. I tweet a reply and continue with my tale of greasy pants and excessive gas or a limp or a throb or an unchangeable erection. I will battle on through, i say.

Brilliant, MB :lolol:

Tricky Dicky said:
Rarely off sick

You're just scared that Lee Amaitis will send his Mafiosi pals round to do you over if you skive off.

(Lee Amaitas, it should be pointed out is only ALLEDGEDLY involved with organised crime and I'm sure his criminal convictions for drug trafficking are in no way an indication of gangland connections. It should also be pointed out that he is a lovely man who does a lot of work of charidee, and is quite capable of finding my name and address should he so wish.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here