Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'll name that chilli in....

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Thai chile (sp.)

Many years ago, before Chiles were Bigtime, or popular, I helped Mark Miller write The Great Chile Book (Ten Speed Press) and the Great Chile Poster, both of which have sold over 300,000 copies. And you're right, Thai chiles are related to cayenne, and defo NOT jalapeno or serrano.

Had to taste test 100 bloody chiles to describe flavor and heat. Most were from Mexico and S. America in those days. We downed a lot of dairy products and Orange Juice that week, my friends -- to counter the heat and resuscitate taste buds. And my "stomach" was upset for a few days after. Not to mention the nether regions burnin' like a mofo.

Felt like this: :wrong:

Cheers, KLS

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Where's Vegster when you need him?

Ahem, where ever there is injustice, wherever there is inhumanity, wherever there is a cause worth fighting for...... I will come

Sorry, can't make chilli identification til Weds.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Are you growing different varieties near each other? I am thinking cross pollination

No. Have grown multiple varieties in the past but this year was giving it a miss altogether until I saw this lonely baby 'jalapeno' plant and decided to give it a home.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ok guys - I've got 2 chilli plants that came from a friend that didn't have names on.. they are the same, but I don't know which variety they are:

5760806_8035c023f2_m.jpeg

A better view of the fruit

5760781_cf17596880_m.jpeg

so, any idea?

Last edited:

Ok guys - I've got 2 chilli plants that came from a friend that didn't have names on.. they are the same, but I don't know which variety they are:

so, any idea?

Tesco Value variety?

No idea mate but it looks distinctly like the ones from a kebab shop if that helps.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
that my dear fellow is a Serrano chilli, native of mexico.

a little hotter than a jalapeno, tasty little morsel.. nice diced up raw and mixed in with some grated cheese in a sandwich....

Yep, basically the bog standard ones you buy pre-wrapped in the supermarket. I usually have some on standby when I run out of scotch bonnets.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

so, any idea?

Think you'll find they are the jalapeños in question.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
BTW - the person who gave me the plants says they might be Lemon Drop.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
For those who like a fiery chilli though... hard to beat scotch bonnets (in this country anyway).

scotch-bonnet.jpg

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'll have to try them next year. What sort of yield / crop per plant do they produce?

Not sure mate, I get from the Indian/Bangladeshi grocers in the area! But they are very hot, the type that make your finger tips tingle for a day after chopping them, so don't try and sample them, they'll blow your bollocks off!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not sure mate, I get from the Indian/Bangladeshi grocers in the area! But they are very hot, the type that make your finger tips tingle for a day after chopping them, so don't try and sample them, they'll blow your bollocks off!

Bloody hell, that's powerful. I'm quite fond of my bollocks as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here