Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you were Hughton.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would ask Nathan Jones what he said to the players when he was in charge for two games.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
If I was the manager I would:

Play Hughes & halford (right back?) & dunk & drop greer. I would get a left back in who can defend (benett offers little going forward either)

I would play holla or kayal & ince. With lua lua & get a another winger in

Up top. Controversially I would play 2. Ogrady (who had proven he can hold the ball up well & actually score) along side I would have best, baldock or cms in that order.

Sadly no room for calde. Bruno dropped

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ok one more time.

Bent is out of contract in the Summer.
Bent is 30 and looking to sign his last lucrative 3 year deal.
That will only happen if he's scoring goals.
It took DB less than 90 minutes to work out every game he plays for us, would cost him 10's of thousands of pounds in the summer.
His agent got him out as soon as possible.
He's playing for a free flowing, goal scoring, promotion chancing team.
If he scores the goals that puts Derby up he's in the box seat for a pay day.

As opposed playing for a team that seems to actively despise through balls.

Which is the right answer.

D

Deleted member 2719

I'd say its not unusual for managers to talk about excuses/reasons post match....its part of the game...another example Big Sam commented post match his players were tired!....i really don't think your quote re the pitch (both mangers) is 'bad'
Fair enough, I just think why give the players an excuse of the pitch. It's now getting to that part of the season when we don't want players hiding but rising to the occasion.
Somehow Hughton needs to turn these players into leaders and he should lead from the front IMO.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i feel at home we make it so easy for the other teams to settle at the amex and also if i was hughton i would get them to show the passion and fight the team showed under nathan jones against reading in second half and fulham away

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
If I were hughton, id probably go all arry rednnap and get bad knees ( or cold feet, ) whatever the expression is :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There is nothing wrong with the pitch at the Amex and they are still a pile of old tripe there.

Really? I'm struggling to think of any real poor performance under Hughton at home... Nope can't think of one...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
..... I'd ask the chairman why we didn't acquire the services of Mr Bent for the rest of the season.

Probably something to do with a team in contention for automatic promotion, closer to his home, and with more money than us putting in an enquiry at the same time, but, you know, it's probably our fault, right?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Difference is that he gets the service where he is now. There is no guarantee under our system that he would score goals. Listening to Warren Aspinall Best got absolutely no service today. If he misses chance after chance then you can blame a striker. It could be the tactics that are the problem. I would ask CH to play O'Grady and Best up front together from the start at home and close together not one on the wing.

At last, somebody who gets it. I just don't understand why Best is getting slated. He's not even feeding off scraps at the moment. The bloke needs a few quality crosses or something, anything.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It is impossible for us on here to give specific names as we do not know enough about who is available or not. The obvious one that shows up is Darren Bent did we put enough effort into keeping him for the rest of the season. The winger that comes to mind is Elliott Bennett similar situation how much effort did we put into keeping him.

Here was the option for Bent; Derby, can commute from my midlands home, great service from a top 6 team midfield, playing in a promotion chasing team, my two cars have been pinched off my drive at home while I'm away on the south coast freaking out my family and so now I live back at home.
BHA; scrap against relegation and less chances to score.
I doubt whether convincing him was that realistic a chance.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
At last, somebody who gets it. I just don't understand why Best is getting slated. He's not even feeding off scraps at the moment. The bloke needs a few quality crosses or something, anything.

I haven't seen him apart from the 10 mins v Ipswich. But I thought he was a CF and, like COG a hold up fella that brought others into the game. Where I see COG at his best is doing just that, on his own and out muscling a couple of CB's.

Yesterday, from the radio it sounded like Best was doing a bit of a CMS impression, running around a lot and getting praise from Aspinall for his work rate (might as well put me on then!) If that's the case he either wasn't doing his job or his job isn't what I thought it was ... either way I'm wondering what Hughton is doing

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think that our game plan yesterday was chipped balls over the top of their defence, get their big CBs turning on a ploughed field against quick strikers, thus Best over COG. I thought he did ok to be honest.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I haven't seen him apart from the 10 mins v Ipswich. But I thought he was a CF and, like COG a hold up fella that brought others into the game. Where I see COG at his best is doing just that, on his own and out muscling a couple of CB's.

Yesterday, from the radio it sounded like Best was doing a bit of a CMS impression, running around a lot and getting praise from Aspinall for his work rate (might as well put me on then!) If that's the case he either wasn't doing his job or his job isn't what I thought it was ... either way I'm wondering what Hughton is doing

All the top teams defend from the front so Best was doing his bit for the team when SW had possession.

I see Best as more than a target man. I think he has more pace than COG and he is possibly a better finisher. He will get goals, but Hughton needs to address the supply issue.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
All the top teams defend from the front so Best was doing his bit for the team when SW had possession.

I see Best as more than a target man. I think he has more pace than COG and he is possibly a better finisher. He will get goals, but Hughton needs to address the supply issue.

2 Home games coming up ..where we will need to change the emphasis ..will be interesting to see how he gets on then (if played)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yeah I have and it takes all of THREE seconds before there is an aimless punt up the pitch. It is kick and rush football. Calm possession based football is good football, you have 90 mins to score you don't need to go hell for leather all the time and give the ball away every few mins.

I don't know what age you are but did you actually watch football in the seventies or are your comments based on YouTube viewing? You appear to fall into the category of ill-informed posters on here who regard all football before the PL as Neanderthal.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I would be getting it very clear in my own mind what we do need in the squad for a relatively successful season next year. He is experienced and articulate and with the support of his backroom staff should be able to make that very clear.

What we do not want is a euphoric reaction to staying up (if indeed we do) with little change in the spine of the team. Central defence and centre forward are the the two key (and expensive) areas where we will be needy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here