Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you thought we had problems............

Bates makes Owls enquiry

Feature: Beyond our Ken
Bates 'gagged' by Chelsea
Sheffield Wednesday have revealed that Chelsea chairman Ken Bates has made an approach to buy the Division Two club.
Owls chairman Dave Allen admitted Bates was interested, and a Wednesday spokesman confirmed the Chelsea chief had made an enquiry.

"Yes, it is true that Ken Bates made an enquiry about buying Sheffield Wednesday three or four weeks ago," the spokesman told BBC Sport.

"But he has not come back to the club with a formal offer since then."

Allen told BBC Radio Sheffield that Bates was interested in the Owls but having asked for an offer in writing they were still waiting to hear back from him.

The BBC understands that Bates is keen to pursue his interest but is being held back because Wednesday will not allow him access to the club's financial information.

The 72-year-old bought Chelsea 22 years ago for just £1 before agreeing to sell it to billionaire Russian businessman Roman Abramovich for £17m last year.

But following the of arrival of Peter Kenyon from Manchester United, Bates power at Stamford Bridge appears to be waining.

It is believed Wednesday has been brought to his attention by former Owls Chairman Dave Richards who is the current chairman of the Premier League.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Wednesday are about 24million in debt, this may be just the right solution, I get the impression Bates is a very dedicated man and woud do a job at any club.

The 72-year-old bought Chelsea 22 years ago for just £1 before agreeing to sell it to billionaire Russian businessman Roman Abramovich for £17m last year,

Thats a fantastic acheivement !!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It would take more than £17 million to rescue Sheffield Wednesday from the mire they are in. I would not mine betting that their debts are more than this.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Taking over a club doesn't mean they have to clear all debts,so a lump sum down and new players etc and increased gate reciepts will be a start.:smokin:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Its not going to happen anyrate. Not at Sheffield Wednesday. He would be more likely to come to the Albion. Then they would probably call the Board the Pensioners. ???

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
perseus said:
It would take more than £17 million to rescue Sheffield Wednesday from the mire they are in. I would not mine betting that their debts are more than this.

They are, which is why they wanted to sell their training ground to a supermarket chain but the council turned down planning permission.

I think they revealed a £28m debt this week.

Blimey, that size of debt and Ken Bates sniffing around.

and if anyone thinks he did a good job at Chelsea, take a walk around the FA and ask them if he was helpful as chairman of Wembley National stadium Ltd:eek:

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Well i thought in the summer that Ken was just about to announce some big debts which would have put Chelski right up the shitter before Roman saved his bacon.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
redland said:
The 72-year-old bought Chelsea 22 years ago for just £1 before agreeing to sell it to billionaire Russian businessman Roman Abramovich for £17m last year,

Thats a fantastic acheivement !!

I suggest you read "Broken Dreams" by Tom Bower. I think you may see the 'successful' Mr Bates in a rather different light after that.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Warning about Ken Bates; e.g.

http://www.algonet.se/~datacaf1/divorceeefc.html

Although, this seems top be just pissing one person off.

I do not know what I think about him now. In the early eighties, I remember feeling aghast at some of things he appeared to me getting up to.

I remember seeing Chelsea three times at the Goldstone. the first ever time in the sixties, the Osgood demolition of the Albion, and then the childish hooligan episode. Was there any more?

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It seems that Bates had no intention of wasting his money.

He was just asked for advice of how to avoid paying back the money Sheffield Wednesday owe.

A better choice to ask than Bellotti and Archer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here