Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you think Sunderland ticket prices are too high......

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
I really don't know why some people are making such a big fuss about this, the club has offerred tickets at a set price, you either;
a) but the ticket at that price and attend the match, or
b) decide the price is beyound you and don't go.
Simple really!

The same argument would apply in any other instance; if you walked into Pizza Hut and said "how much is a large deep-pan meat feast" and they said £15 you have a choice, pay £15 and eat one or think it's too expensive and not have one! You wouldn't start a debate with the management of Pizza Hut to try explaining your logic that if they charged only £12 for the pizza they'd sell more of them :facepalm:

Yes, Yes quite right, supporting my home town club, through thick & thin, up's & down's is exactly the same as going to a restaurant!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
As we are playing a Premiership side who will want to progress in the cup i will try to obtain a ticket before they sell out,however i do object to a booking fee if it is in excess of the actual postage charge.
Years ago booking fees for Theatre & Concerts crept in by firms like Ticketmaster so I dealt direct with the Theatre which was okay for a while,however now if you visit the Box Office
you will still be charged a booking fee which is a devious way of increasing the price of all tickets.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
Yes, Yes quite right, supporting my home town club, through thick & thin, up's & down's is exactly the same as going to a restaurant!

You are missing the point. The club have a published price list for first team home games (league and cup) and are offerring you a ticket at that price. You either choose to buy at that price or you don't!

As already mentioned elsewhere by someone sensible, STH's are already rewarded for their loyalty by having significantly lower ticket prices than the published prices for one-off games plus the 10% discount at stadium outlets and the club shop.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
... One reason for this is that we are probably paying L1 ST prices for Championship football.

Not according to these figures... we are very much mid-table Championship prices...

Cost of Lowest New S/T Purchase
Cardiff £205
Derby County £272
Coventry City £299
Peterborough £325
Barnsley £330
Leicester City £345
Millwall £360
Blackpool £384
Hull City £390
Bristol City £390
Reading £395
Watford £395
Brighton Hove Albion £395
Nottingham Forest £397
Birmingham £416
Middlesbrough £420
Burnley £428
Crystal Palace £440
Doncaster Rovers £440
Ipswich Town £493
Portsmouth £499
West Ham £515
Southampton £540
Leeds United £582​

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
I'm sth in the wsu, each league match works out at roughly £20. That would be a fairer price and would ensure there is a full house, better atmosphere, and also more money spent in catering etc.

Redbourn Seagull

Jan 20, 2010
I think many will be surprised at the gate on the night surly anything above 8k will be an improvement on last season! Having just spent £30 to watch the game last Saturday only to sit behind a post I would gladly pay £28 to sit at the Amex and watch a game against Sunderland!

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The price is a bit more than I was expecting but I'll still go.
I think the big shock for me and a lot of people is the difference between the price of this game and the cost per game with a STH (£28 vs £20). If you take the Man City game at Withdean as an example I'm sure the disparity was nowhere near as big as 40%. One reason for this is that we are probably paying L1 ST prices for Championship football. :moo:

I seem to remember paying Championship prices for L1 football at Withdean-prices never came down when we were relegated-twice, they just didn't put them up for the first season(s) back in L1. If my memory serves me well, cup tickets weren't 48% more than my over-priced Withdean season ticket either.

I've spent a fair bit on The Albion already this season (ST, Car Parking ST, Travel Vouchers plus 120 mile round trips for every home game) however, I'm not going to moan to the club but have decided that I won't be going to see Sunderland reserves.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I seem to remember paying Championship prices for L1 football at Withdean-prices never came down when we were relegated-twice, they just didn't put them up for the first season(s) back in L1. If my memory serves me well, cup tickets weren't 48% more than my over-priced Withdean season ticket either.

I've spent a fair bit on The Albion already this season (ST, Car Parking ST, Travel Vouchers plus 120 mile round trips for every home game) however, I'm not going to moan to the club but have decided that I won't be going to see Sunderland reserves.

The thing was at Withdean they usually started flogging the tickets in March when it wasn't certain which division we would be in. I wonder when they'll start to sell STs for next season?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I entirely understand why people make comments about choice - if you can't or won't pay the price (£35 in my case, with the booking fee) then don't go. However, I also feel that football fans are not like the customers of other businesses - the imperative to support the company is not there with 'normal' firms. Our own loyalty is being used as a device against us here to squeeze as much money as possible out of us. Again, I understand why - if we're to grow and compete as a club it's inevitably going to happen - but I do feel the club should at the very least make some kind of comment on the pricing decision for this game to the very fans they've praised so vocally as playing such a big part in getting the bloody stadium in the first place.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've spent a fair bit on The Albion already this season (ST, Car Parking ST, Travel Vouchers plus 120 mile round trips for every home game)

If you've got a car park season ticket, why have you bought travel vouchers?

I entirely understand why people make comments about choice - if you can't or won't pay the price (£35 in my case, with the booking fee) then don't go. However, I also feel that football fans are not like the customers of other businesses - the imperative to support the company is not there with 'normal' firms. Our own loyalty is being used as a device against us here to squeeze as much money as possible out of us. Again, I understand why - if we're to grow and compete as a club it's inevitably going to happen - but I do feel the club should at the very least make some kind of comment on the pricing decision for this game to the very fans they've praised so vocally as playing such a big part in getting the bloody stadium in the first place.

Most sensible thing I've read on here for a long time.

It's to be expected the club will look to commercially 'exploit' the fans more than in the past but they are treading a very fine line at times and a little humility in what they do when they do it would be a wise move.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm sth in the wsu, each league match works out at roughly £20. That would be a fairer price and would ensure there is a full house, better atmosphere, and also more money spent in catering etc.

It would not ensure a full house, you are just assuming that to suit your argument (and your pocket).

I seem to remember paying Championship prices for L1 football at Withdean-prices never came down when we were relegated-twice, they just didn't put them up for the first season(s) back in L1. If my memory serves me well, cup tickets weren't 48% more than my over-priced Withdean season ticket either. I seem to recall that my season ticket meant my league games were £17.90 per game but full price tickets for some cup games, dependent on the opposition, were normal price, ie £26.Thats a mark up of approx 50%. So what is different.

£15.00 £18.00 £20.00 £24.00 £28.00
12000 180,000.00 216,000.00 240,000.00 288,000.00 336,000.00
15000 225,000.00 270,000.00 300,000.00 360,000.00 420,000.00
18000 270,000.00 324,000.00 360,000.00 432,000.00 504,000.00
21000 315,000.00 378,000.00 420,000.00 504,000.00 588,000.00
22500 337,500.00 405,000.00 450,000.00 540,000.00 630,000.00

Not sure if the table comes out well but if you look at the £18 cost (for the sake of argument lets use them as average ticket prices), a sell out crowd would bring in income comparable to an 15.5k crowd at £24. At the end of the day, it is economics and in particular, supply and demand. If the club don't sell enough then no doubt they will review the position come the next big cup opponents.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Talking of Sunderland - what the hell is wrong with Steve Bruce's face? It looks like he's got an inner tube bulging out of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The thing was at Withdean they usually started flogging the tickets in March when it wasn't certain which division we would be in. I wonder when they'll start to sell STs for next season?

I'm guessing it will be April...when the 12 month direct debit is due for renewal?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It would not ensure a full house, you are just assuming that to suit your argument (and your pocket).

I seem to remember paying Championship prices for L1 football at Withdean-prices never came down when we were relegated-twice, they just didn't put them up for the first season(s) back in L1. If my memory serves me well, cup tickets weren't 48% more than my over-priced Withdean season ticket either. I seem to recall that my season ticket meant my league games were £17.90 per game but full price tickets for some cup games, dependent on the opposition, were normal price, ie £26.Thats a mark up of approx 50%. So what is different.

£15.00 £18.00 £20.00 £24.00 £28.00
12000 180,000.00 216,000.00 240,000.00 288,000.00 336,000.00
15000 225,000.00 270,000.00 300,000.00 360,000.00 420,000.00
18000 270,000.00 324,000.00 360,000.00 432,000.00 504,000.00
21000 315,000.00 378,000.00 420,000.00 504,000.00 588,000.00
22500 337,500.00 405,000.00 450,000.00 540,000.00 630,000.00

Not sure if the table comes out well but if you look at the £18 cost (for the sake of argument lets use them as average ticket prices), a sell out crowd would bring in income comparable to an 15.5k crowd at £24. At the end of the day, it is economics and in particular, supply and demand. If the club don't sell enough then no doubt they will review the position come the next big cup opponents.

This is mind bending.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
£20-25 ? Port Vale charge £21-50 for FOURTH division football !

this with bells on.

I think some people need to geta grip ofthe new world order

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
errr it's quite seeemmmpelll really

If you think its too expensive, don't buy it
if you want it and you are prepared to pay what is being asked, then buy it

No one's forcing you, and you don't have a divine right to a ticket

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
but I do feel the club should at the very least make some kind of comment on the pricing decision for this game to the very fans they've praised so vocally as playing such a big part in getting the bloody stadium in the first place.

err the club is well aware of the role that the fans played in saving the club.

However, the fans, for all their virtuousness, did not shell out £93 million to build the Amex. That was down to the club.

and for all your bleating, the club has now moved out of its rented bed sit to a three bed detached house with a garage adnd conssiderable mortgage to service. That's quite a leap in costs to meet. Best get used to it, it's the future.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
As we are playing a Premiership side who will want to progress in the cup i will try to obtain a ticket before they sell out,however i do object to a booking fee if it is in excess of the actual postage charge.
Years ago booking fees for Theatre & Concerts crept in by firms like Ticketmaster so I dealt direct with the Theatre which was okay for a while,however now if you visit the Box Office
you will still be charged a booking fee which is a devious way of increasing the price of all tickets.

only if you insist on using a credit card or a debit card

Booking fees

In addition to fees paid by the card holder, merchants must also pay interchange fees to the card-issuing bank and the card association.[20][21] For a typical credit card issuer, interchange fee revenues may represent about a quarter of total revenues.[22]

These fees are typically from 1 to 6 percent of each sale, but will vary not only from merchant to merchant (large merchants can negotiate lower rates), but also from card to card, with business cards and rewards cards generally costing the merchants more to process. The interchange fee that applies to a particular transaction is also affected by many other variables including: the type of merchant, the merchant's total card sales volume, the merchant's average transaction amount, whether the cards were physically present, how the information required for the transaction was received, the specific type of card, when the transaction was settled, and the authorized and settled transaction amounts. In some cases, merchants add a surcharge to the credit cards to cover the interchange fee, encouraging their customers to instead use cash, debit cards, or even cheques.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

That was to enable the club to still have a cashflow during the summer when there was effectively no game based revenue income.

Added to which it enabled people to work out a budget for next sason well in advance. And there were plenty of options about paying for a season ticket - all ut once, in three installments, in four instalments, by direct debit, by cheque etc etc etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here