Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] If you have the money/opportunity, would you be a "space tourist"?

If you have the money/opportunity, would you be a "space tourist"?

• Yep - bring it on!

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Nah - I'm happy down here on earth, thanks

Votes: 72 64.3%

• Total voters

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
My feeling is that a quick whizz round the earth, in orbit, is to space travel, what a hand shandy is to a fulfilling loving relationship.

I'd want to land somewhere and have a mooch about. Even then....

Nah. Find me a habitable planet where one could attempt a genuine adventure, and I'd give it consideration.

I say that as someone who loaths places like Alton Towers :lolol: :thumbsup:

Very much this. If I'm going to ride a giant firework I might as well go somewhere, even if it was only the moon

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Long as it doesn’t clash with a Brighton game

I wonder which would be easier, transfer your Albion ticket to someone else or transfer your USD 28 million space flight ticket to someone else?

I also wonder how those who have voted ‘yes’ would feel if their elderly parents decided to spend their last 56 million dollars on a trip into space :smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No thank you, space looks like a dirty, poorly lit basement.

I think the experience would be like one of those mountain trips when you are on vacation and you pay a shitload of money to sit in a warm bus for hours just to see some view you get tired of after five minutes.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If odds of catastrophic failure is 1/270 and presumably catastrophic = Massive explosion coupled with death in less than a second.....Yes def.......One of my regrets in life is never flying Concorde. Flying into space would IMO be Concorde x 100.....Any sponsors on NSC with the money needed please message me !!!

Rovert_Fugazi

RovertFugazi
Feb 15, 2010
Blimey, I voted 'Yes' expecting it to be a landslide - and I'm currently very much in the minority (15%). Is it my age (64) and the fact I was brought up in the era of the Space Race, Neil Armstrong, etc? All anyone ever wanted to be was an astronaut. I'm slightly saddened by the fact that people's horizons seem to have shrunk so much.

This

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not if you have to wear a nappy for the entire duration because you can't take off the spacesuit to have a :shit:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If odds of catastrophic failure is 1/270 and presumably catastrophic = Massive explosion coupled with death in less than a second.....Yes def.......One of my regrets in life is never flying Concorde. Flying into space would IMO be Concorde x 100.....Any sponsors on NSC with the money needed please message me !!!

I was lucky enough to fly on Concorde. It was tiny with seats 2 x 2 and there was absolutely no sense of speed when at cruising altitude and the Mach 2 sign came up on the screen on the wall behind the cockpit.

The take off was phenomenal, like accelerating in a Ferrari as opposed to a Jumbo which was like a bus going down the runway in comparison. The curve of the earth could be seen once you reached 500000 ft which was also pretty amazing.

Other than that it was a bit meh :smile:

Even forgetting how much it costs, a quick whizz into space and back in a few hours holds absolutely no interest for me :shrug:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think people have more important things to worry about

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Well yes, but that wasn't the question. It was 'If you had the money and the opportunity'. I have neither, but I don't think any of us who voted 'yes' think it's an important thing that we really must do before we die and damn everything and everyone else. It's almost like one of those 'who's your fantasy shag?' questions

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was lucky enough to fly on Concorde. It was tiny with seats 2 x 2 and there was absolutely no sense of speed when at cruising altitude and the Mach 2 sign came up on the screen on the wall behind the cockpit.

The take off was phenomenal, like accelerating in a Ferrari as opposed to a Jumbo which was like a bus going down the runway in comparison. The curve of the earth could be seen once you reached 500000 ft which was also pretty amazing.

Other than that it was a bit meh :smile:

Even forgetting how much it costs, a quick whizz into space and back in a few hours holds absolutely no interest for me :shrug:

Reaching 500,000ft in a plane really WOULD have been pretty amazing!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My immediate response is YES!

That would be followed over the next days/weeks by a growing fear that with 'my luck' it'd all go wrong and that 1 in 270 chance of something going wrong would turn out to actually be 100%. So I'd probably then quit and not go.

And then regret it.

So I'm not really sure how to vote!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If there really was a Tardis I would much rather time travel than looking down on earth for a few minutes. Worse thing is you know you have to go back to the plague ridden shithole.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I could never justify spending so much money on an experience. Even if Brighton got to the Champions League Final and I had to pay £4000 for 2 tickets, travel and a hotel I would struggle to justify the expense, even if I had loads of money.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I would absolutely love to go into space. It's always fascinated me and I think it would be such an incredible experience.

Ideally, I'd like to splash down at a holiday destination. You might as well make a trip out of it. Three days in space followed by a fortnight in The Seychelles or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here