Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you have kids at school be prepared for a long summer

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
they have to put up with some of the degenerate little bastards that even the parents can't or don't want to control.

No problems - worksheets, wordsearches, colouring in, drawing pictures. No snags there.

I am being a little sarcastic, being a teacher. I have no problem with the stroppy little shits, mainly because I am a stroppy big shit that they don't like crossing - and nor do the parents. Being 6ft tall with tattoos I don't quite fit the stereotype of a "little miss"!

I am also working supply at the moment, so this would be a shite move for me - no pay for no work. Still, I can always supplement the wages by working in a detention centres!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So what are they supposed to do?

If the government keep the schools closed until October they're going to get flack from parents because they have to sort out day care. Poor loves.

Or they let the kids return as per normal, said kids all get Swine Flu and they're going to get even more flack. Especially if some of the kids die-which inevitably some will.

There will be just as much risk if children go to school or not, parents will have to arrange other care which will involve groups of children mixing. Children not going to school will not stop their parents catching it anyway.

My daughter takes her GSCS English and Maths in october so they had better not risk messing the two most important parts of her education up.

If the schools are shut at the directive of Government, then they should still receive pay - not sure how they will approach that. Most salaries for term-time only are pro-rata based on 193 days (I think), so the wages should remain the same. Chances are that the schools will not be open for the kids, but most teachers will be in working, that's what normally happens over the hols anyway!

Unless you are a Supply Teacher and paid only for the days you work, in which case you get sod all.
I manage an organisation that provides home to school transport services on behalf of two local education authorities. We have 27 members of staff employed specifically to provide those services. The deal is that, provided the LEA gives us 24 hours notice that a service is not required, we don't get paid. If we don't get paid, we have no income to pay our staff

Presumably the plan to keep schools closed involves our staff hanging around, not being paid, until someone tells them to turn up for work "as normal".

Dream on. I expect most of them will be seeking an alternative job by then.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I manage an organisation that provides home to school transport services on behalf of two local education authorities. We have 27 members of staff employed specifically to provide those services. The deal is that, provided the LEA gives us 24 hours notice that a service is not required, we don't get paid. If we don't get paid, we have no income to pay our staff

Presumably the plan to keep schools closed involves our staff hanging around, not being paid, until someone tells them to turn up for work "as normal".

Dream on. I expect most of them will be seeking an alternative job by then.

Ah. When you said "in school staff" I thought you meant staff such as LSAs, etc. I would think that your staff are fcuked then. If they are employed to carry out the tasks on a daily tasks basis, then I can't see the LEA coughing up, it's hard enough getting them to cough up normally. As you say, they will have moved on by then. Hopefully it won't happen, I can't afford four weeks of no pay in addition to six weeks of no pay, then getting paid a fortnight in arrears!

If the Government shuts the schools, then the economy will go down the toilet. Parents will have to take time off that they can't afford, and run the risk of being sacked.

It's only a cold, for f***'s sake!

D

Deleted User X18H

Ah. When you said "in school staff" I thought you meant staff such as LSAs, etc. I would think that your staff are fcuked then. If they are employed to carry out the tasks on a daily tasks basis, then I can't see the LEA coughing up, it's hard enough getting them to cough up normally. As you say, they will have moved on by then. Hopefully it won't happen, I can't afford four weeks of no pay in addition to six weeks of no pay, then getting paid a fortnight in arrears!

If the Government shuts the schools, then the economy will go down the toilet. Parents will have to take time off that they can't afford, and run the risk of being sacked.

It's only a cold, for f***'s sake!
Yes the economy could go down the toilet I have been saying this for months and earlier on this thread.

But is this what the Government want is it all propaganda will this all 'clean sweep' The Economy set a level playing field kick start credit ratings loosen other finances eradicate the harm we are now seeing from quantitative easing etc etc??

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
an extra well earned 4 weeks holiday for the teachers then.:wozza:

Apart from those of us awaiting the start of a new/first job in September, which means presumably a first paycheck wouldn't arrive until November. Which will mean homelessness.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I think this would be a good idea in the worst case scenario.

Research released today suggests that the worst place for the spread of swine flu is at schools. They estimate that by closing schools down it could potentially cut the number of cases by up to 50%. This is not government comissioned stats either, this is from doctors and scientists I believe.

I can understand the econmic consequences of this, but I think the health of a nation should come first especially in children. There have been cases of young children dying already, and that's only going to get worse while they are enclosed in a school environment.

I think the idea of holding back the start of the school year by a month would be a brave but potentially correct move. Hopefully by october time there will be a vaccine, and children will be at the front of the queue for one. Get them immunised and THEN send them back...problem solved!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is this being more widely reported? is it even an actual statement of policy? or, as it seems to me, a journo asking the question " will schools remain closed in the new term to prevent spread of Flu" and the answer "cannot be certain what the situation will be" then being blown into yes they will?

absolute bollocks. delaying school for a month would just delay the spread of flu for a month, and piss off the hundreds of thousands of parents who'd have to rearrange work and child care commtiments.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This really would be a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted. If they had closed the schools just two weeks ago (at a time when it wouldn't really matter educationally) then the spread would straight away have slowed.

By the time the kids go back in September a lot of them will have already had it.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
If schools close it would be chaos. The greatest problem would be exam years - a month is a long time to lose and would mean that lots of kids would not be taught the syllabus.

The solution would be later exams, which then has knock on effects on uni places e.t.c.

At present the mortality rate is less than 1/1000 this is lower than a normal flu year ! The headlines look scarey 65,000 deaths, this is a mortality rate of 1/500 if half the population become infected.

There should be procedures in place if the viralance increases - but too early to make these decisions now.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If this was true (which it now seems it isn't) and included Universities (very doubtful) I would be really happy because whilst the students are enjoying thier summer vacation I am on flexitime :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the government keep the schools closed until October they're going to get flack from parents because they have to sort out day care. Poor loves.
QUOTE]

you would not belive the problems our school has when we have Inset days, there are normally only three days a year and the abuse the head takes is incredible....the same can be said when the school was closed due to snow.

Exactly, some dicks don't have a grasp of reality.

Looks a bit like Sky News trying to talk up the situation to me.

And everyone has taken the bait. The media want to stir it up because it makes a good headline.

Yes the economy could go down the toilet I have been saying this for months and earlier on this thread.

But is this what the Government want is it all propaganda will this all 'clean sweep' The Economy set a level playing field kick start credit ratings loosen other finances eradicate the harm we are now seeing from quantitative easing etc etc??

Blah blah blah. Maybe the labour party secretly released this new strain of swine flu to divert attention. You have to admire their astuteness in releasing it in Mexico first though.

Folks, don't get worked up by rumours you hear on Sky News. The stress could play havoc with your immune system.

Too late, most people have taken the bait. If their worried about schools not going back to reduce the spread, what are they going to say when the start of the football season is postponed or that clubs play games behind closed doors for the first two months!! I heard that supermarkets are going to shut their doors and only deal with online shopping. People without internet access will starve but apparently it has been calculated that less people will get the flu!!!! Underground trains, buses and commuter services will cease as they are breeding places for germs.

Run to the hills everyone, it's the only safe place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the more i think about it the more im incensed by the whole suggestion. what do people think the kids will do away from school, sit at home? are they closing summer camps, liesure centres and other activities for the next 6 weeks? no, and there is no intention to shut the schools either, this is fear monger by the media again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here