Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you have bought a house for way over its true market value in the last few years..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Arguably, negative equity only affects you if you want or have to move, so not everyone who is in the shit as a private home owner is going to be "f***ed" as Simster puts it. But those who had multiple houses as investments are going to be far more hit.

by that reckoning, Buy-to-letters would not be affected either then, so long as their prpoerties continue to be let at rates which cover the loan repayments.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In a word, nothing. Even if the company went bust, it's assets (including the money you owe) would be bought by another bank so you will not be affected. The losers are the shareholders.

Let's hope Northern Rock was not another of Beach Hut's "easy money" investments...

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Based on previous cycles here, rent rates fall off while interest rates rise - the rent stops covering the loan repayments.

most buy to lets are done on fixed mortgages, so present conditions are unlikely to affect for some time yet, and by then the markets will probably have stabilised.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
when we first bought our house 1982/3 I seem to recall Interest rates were above 15%

One of these days in a some dark depressed moment, i am going to work out just how much money we have paid to the halifax/Midland/HSBC over the 27 years we have had a mortgage.

if it was 500 per month x 12 months x 27 years that totalls £162,000 for a 25k mortgage.

capitalism eh!

we got to pay something like £750,000 and now our mortgage is above a £1000 a month...............eeekkkkkkkkkk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Arguably, negative equity only affects you if you want or have to move, so not everyone who is in the shit as a private home owner is going to be "f***ed" as Simster puts it. But those who had multiple houses as investments are going to be far more hit.
It was tesco in disguise, not me. ???

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Northern Rock is NOT going to go bust. BBC Radio has just been reprting that it's expected to suffer a reduction in profts this year -- but they'll still be around £500m.

So the people panic-withdrawing their savings are being incredibly silly.

In fact the only thing British people are more obsessed with than property prices is queuing.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The bloke below is a super mortgage advisor if anyone wants some advice on a new mortgage or re mortgage to make sure they have the best possible rate. He is also whole of market and has access to over 35000 rates. He has recently arranged for 2 NSC members a 2 year fixed at 5.24% and a 5 year fixed rate at 5.29% with free survey and free legals for re mortgages.

Gareth Glover
Senior Mortgage Advisor, CEMAP & FPC

PM - Uncle Spielberg.

Regards.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Never?

In 1996 (I think) I bought my first property - a 3 bed Victorian terraced house in Worthing by saving for a 5% deposit myself and then paying the mortgage myself. No help sought by me from anyone and none provided.

Never was a poor choice of word(s).

During the late 70s building societies started allowing spouses income and more than 2.5 times annual salary which did ease the situation quite a bit. From then on it did become easier for first time buyers.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The bloke below is a super mortgage advisor if anyone wants some advice on a new mortgage or re mortgage to make sure they have the best possible rate. He is also whole of market and has access to over 35000 rates. He has recently arranged for 2 NSC members a 2 year fixed at 5.24% and a 5 year fixed rate at 5.29% with free survey and free legals for re mortgages.

Gareth Glover
Senior Mortgage Advisor, CEMAP & FPC

PM - Uncle Spielberg.

Regards.

We're looking to put our house on the market next year so I might just tap into a bit of your knowledge US. It's nearly 20yrs since I last went through the process of buying & selling so it's fair to say i'm a bit out of touch with it all.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would be happy to help.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
when we first bought our house 1982/3 I seem to recall Interest rates were above 15%

You're just making it up as you go along ;)

Everyone knows that the base rate did not get any higher than 14.375%, where it was between 1st and 18th January 1982. By the end of 1983 rates had plunged to 9.0625%.

Reviewing the base rates of the recent past, and how often they changed (example: rates changed on the 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th August 1982), puts today's "high" rates into perspective.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I thought Lamont put interest rates at 15% only overnight after the apolectic mistake the Conservatives made which was the beginning of the end for them.

I am sure it dropped down the very next morning

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought Lamont put interest rates at 15% only overnight after the apolectic mistake the Conservatives made which was the beginning of the end for them.

I am sure it dropped down the very next morning

Maybe but Lamont wasn't doing his thing in 82-83.

Lamont was Chancellor from November '90 until May '93. In November '90 rates were 13.875%. In May '93 they were 5.875%. There was never an upward movement during this time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Maybe but Lamont wasn't doing his thing in 82-83.

Lamont was Chancellor from November '90 until May '93. In November '90 rates were 13.875%. In May '93 they were 5.875%. There was never an upward movement during this time.

Probably before my time in mortgage terms as I think my first one was '86

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Housing in the south east has never been affordable for first time buyers without help.

Of course it has, 20 years ago it was no problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here