Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

if you dont shoot you dont score

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
The average of your selection from today's matches is 10.17
Today we had 10.

We are around average, not about level with the worst.

I looked at the other 6 teams, 12, 15, 6,10, 13, 12. avg of those about 11.3 and we had a higher than our average amount of shots today.

I would like to see the stats for the season, I reckon we are in the bottom 3. Its the style of play, its why we have also let in fewer goals even with flapper in goal.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
How many goals have we scored from OUTSIDE the area,we do seem to have a problem of trying to walk it into the net!

By playing deep the wingers are nearer the penalty area than the halfway line, this crowds out their attacks but makes all the difference going forward at this level. Hence their will always be a few defenders back by the time our wingers/forwards go forward. I dont think ive seen a one on one on the break.

And you get clowns on here saying we need a good player to hold the ball up. Why? that happens anyway given the style.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Of the random games you have selected:

Average shots per team: 11
Average goals per team: 1.16
Average goals per shot ratio: 10.6%

If you take our last 10 games:

Average shots per game: 7
Average goals per game: 0.6
Average goals per shot ratio: 8.5%

Although this is only going by a selection of random games only from today - it shouts out to me that we are not being clinical enough in front of goal.

We may not be having many shots, but for the same amount of shots we have had in the last 10 games (70), based on that average most teams would have scored 7.5 goals compared to our 6.

This all probably means absolutely nothing, because it goes without saying that the more shots you have the more goals you are likely to score. But its not only the amount of shots we're having that is causing a problem, we need to be more clinical in front of goal too.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would like to see the stats for the season, I reckon we are in the bottom 3. Its the style of play, its why we have also let in fewer goals even with flapper in goal.

Ask and ye shall receive...

league goals per match 2011.12.27.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Red marks the worst in that column, blue the best. Overall we are

Goals: 19th
Shots: 24th
On Goal: 24th
Fouls: Joint 17th (with Derby)
Yellow Cards: 24th
Red Cards: Joint 24th (with Leeds and Leicester)

Interestingly Southampton, Palace, Watford, Leeds, Millwall and Portsmouth all commit more fouls than us per game on average, yet we get 0.71 more yellow cards per game than the next team. The next biggest gap between average yellow cards is 0.10. Statistically speaking, something has to be amiss for us to be so far away from anyone else in yellow card counts, despite being lower mid table for fouls, for someone who commits more fouls than us per game to have the second fewest yellow cards in the whole division (southampton)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

View attachment 29288
(click to enlarge)

Interestingly Southampton, Palace, Watford, Leeds, Millwall and Portsmouth all commit more fouls than us per game on average, yet we get 0.71 more yellow cards per game than the next team. The next biggest gap between average yellow cards is 0.10. Statistically speaking, something has to be amiss for us to be so far away from anyone else in yellow card counts, despite being lower mid table for fouls, for someone who commits more fouls than us per game to have the second fewest yellow cards in the whole division (southampton)

Interesting thanks. Southamptons home form may help explain the disparity but why only them is a mystery, maybe [MENTION=14747]redneb[/MENTION] can comment?

Maybe the teams attitude precipitates more cards? I mean some of the players petulence may have an influence or its a team discipline issue?

Seeing we have a different ref every match there comes a point where we have to stop pointing the finger at them and look at our own style etc.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
First matches I picked today, total shots.

Birmingham 16
West ham 8
Burnley 23
Doncaster 13
Southampton 8
Crystal Palace 5
Barnsley 14
blackpool 14
Liescester 8
Millwall 5
Forest 9
Peterborough 9

Haven't looked at the other matchs today but you can see that on a good day we are around about level with the worst in the division

its all good having shots, but its more about the quality of them, Southampton had 2 less shots than us with 8, however they scored 2 goals (i beleive) we had 10 shots - scored none, so what difference is it going to make if we're blasting balls everywhere and anywhere.

We need to buy a finisher in January, for £2/3m CMS's shooting is poor, and don't get me started on Billy Paynter!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
We have some fundamental, already well rehearsed on this site, problems - the January transfer window + getting Buckley and Hoskins fit and playing regularly (+maybe even a few games from Vicente!) + a dramatic improvement in our disciplinary record + the need to play at a quicker pass and move tempo to outwit the teams that close us down + an improvement on our game-by-game tactics + a significant improvement in our shots on/off target ratios per game have now become key to our survival this season - not much to ask then!! But we're still only a few points off the play-off places so all is by no means lost.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

View attachment 29288
(click to enlarge)

Ahh but can you analyse how many of our yellows are for dissent/swearing at the ref ? I think that this is a major part of our disciplinary problem.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ahh but can you analyse how many of our yellows are for dissent/swearing at the ref ? I think that this is a major part of our disciplinary problem.

Swearing and showing dissent with referees appears to be an optional carding offense for referees. You only have to watch a few games on tv to realise that it happens all the time, every player on every team does it but very few get carded. So why do our players?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

yellow card break down 2011.12.28.jpg
(click to enlarge)

This covers our yellow cards, and the yellow cards our opponents get when they face us. Tallying the number of yellows was time consuming enough, going through and categorising them for every team is not something I see myself doing any time soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here