Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could cast you local election vote again. Would it be Green?

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Would you vote the Greens in now?

• Yes they're great

Votes: 42 38.5%
  • No! it's been a disaster

Votes: 67 61.5%

• Total voters

D

Deleted User X18H

Yep. more bike lanes and a push to get less cars in the centre of Brighton and Hove in line with other progressive European towns. Less congestion, more exercise and a better environment for the next generation.
How refreshing to see another party on the political agenda and Caroline Lucas should be the next prime minister - on top of that Ian Davey is a top bloke. Hove, born and bred (tory boy) you seem to have a deep rooted, almost compulsive hatred of anything Green.
I say ban cars going up and down Ditchling Beacon ,make car drivers pay twice as much for road tax and give free cycles to those who refuse to exercise and make them cycle to work and lock hove, born and bred in a shed on top of the west pier.

Erm......No.

I think they have done so good stuff but in a contradictory , hap- hazard type way.

Cycle Lanes yep good. But why half the length of Old Shoreham Road?

School Admin much better. But why the refusal to back the building of new schools in Brighton & Hove.

Subsidising suburban bus routes. But why take it away from Brighton & Hove buses?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I made the mistake last election and won't be doing the same again.

For those of you that still intend to vote Green I suggest you watch a webcast of a council meeting. Watch that idiot Kitcat get all arrogant and blown up with his own self importance. Then watch as his dim friend Davey gets all confused about the simplest of things. Finally you then get the bizarre Hawtree who clearly doesn't live on the same planet as the rest of us and attempts to crack a joke about some piece of classical writing that just makes every other Councillor in the chamber shrug their shoulders and wonder what he really is.

They make the council chamber look like a special needs playground. I don't care who wins control of the council next election but please, not the Greens.

D

Deleted User X18H

For those of you that still intend to vote Green I suggest you watch a webcast of a council meeting. Watch that idiot Kitcat get all arrogant and blown up with his own self importance. Then watch as his dim friend Davey gets all confused about the simplest of things. Finally you then get the bizarre Hawtree who clearly doesn't live on the same planet as the rest of us and attempts to crack a joke about some piece of classical writing that just makes every other Councillor in the chamber shrug their shoulders and wonder what he really is.

They make the council chamber look like a special needs playground. I don't care who wins control of the council next election but please, not the Greens.

Is that when Kitcats trophy wife, describes Brightonians as inbreds?

I's rather be an inbred Brightonian than not at all.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yep. more bike lanes and a push to get less cars in the centre of Brighton and Hove in line with other progressive European towns. Less congestion, more exercise and a better environment for the next generation.
How refreshing to see another party on the political agenda and Caroline Lucas should be the next prime minister - on top of that Ian Davey is a top bloke. Hove, born and bred (tory boy) you seem to have a deep rooted, almost compulsive hatred of anything Green.
I say ban cars going up and down Ditchling Beacon ,make car drivers pay twice as much for road tax and give free cycles to those who refuse to exercise and make them cycle to work and lock hove, born and bred in a shed on top of the west pier.

Your sentiments reek of a Communist ideology. We will create the perfect society for everyone, we will make people healthy, we will make people virtuous, And we will use force and coercion to achieve this. We will ban what we believe is bad for them, and we will force on people what we believe is good for them.

Don't agree? Then you should be locked in a shed. During the cultural revolution in China people with opposing political views were forced to wear "dunce" caps along with other forms of humiliation.

Your sentiments are well motivated, but this approach is as abhorrent as it has always been.

Communism, for all it's good intentions, killed tens of millions of people.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I didn't vote for them last time, but will vote for Caroline Lucas instead of the Labour candidate in the next general election for sure. As I don't try and drive around Brighton and then park in the centre much (and I can't see why many Brightonians would), then I can't grumble about the council either.

To be honest, if it's close to neck and neck on a FOOTBALL forum, then I'd say the Greens popularity is pretty decent!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Subsidising suburban bus routes. But why take it away from Brighton & Hove buses?

It was taken away because, according to both The Argus and The Big Lemon themselves, they put in a lower bid for the service. In fact their quote is £60,000 less than what Brighton & Hove buses was, and given the council is subsidising the route it's quite obvious why they selected the cheaper bid.

D

Deleted User X18H

It was taken away because, according to both The Argus and The Big Lemon themselves, they put in a lower bid for the service. In fact their quote is £60,000 less than what Brighton & Hove buses was, and given the council is subsidising the route it's quite obvious why they selected the cheaper bid.

How long will it last though?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

OR, you could think about policies rather than personalities. Personally I'd find a bunch of bizarre lefties easier to stomach than a massive public school old-boy's club, but that's what we see every day in Parliament and carry on voting for them.

(BTW I am sure you have lots of valid political arguments against the Greens and their policies so wasn't a dig, just think if we brought personalities into it we'd be left with about 3% of our politicians).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah but you are the typical non Brightonian JCL with no sense of Civic Pride, who would.

I have a Hove address which is all one needs to be able to vote.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
OR, you could think about policies rather than personalities. Personally I'd find a bunch of bizarre lefties easier to stomach than a massive public school old-boy's club, but that's what we see every day in Parliament and carry on voting for them.

(BTW I am sure you have lots of valid political arguments against the Greens and their policies so wasn't a dig, just think if we brought personalities into it we'd be left with about 3% of our politicians).

Indeed, it's a fair point about policies. When I voted Green I expected them to make good on the promise to increase recycling. Well they've made a half arsed attempt by introducing community recycling in the city centre. That doesn't help the majority who don't actually live in the city centre - what about increasing recycling collections, adding in green waste collections ? They attempted to put up council tax by 3.5% but would not commit to spending it on new services. My pet hate was their cynical attempt to increase allotment rents significantly - hang on they're the "Green" party aren't they ? They currently have nearly 500 unlet allotments but instead of getting them let to increase income they'd rather attempt to kick people off who haven't managed to grow enough ( not that there is any specification of what enough is ) despite it being the worse growing year in decades.

I was part of the campaign to stop allotment rent increases and I wrote to every Councillor. I got replies back from a majority of Tory and Labour councillors before the council vote - nothing from a Green councillor until AFTER the vote and then it was "blame the Tory government" and a slagging off of Labour and Tory councillors ( quite amusing considering they did a reply all to one of my previous emails and so managed to copy in my Tory and Labour councillors ! A fight by email ensued with me copied in ! ).

So there are central government cuts ? Yes, but the excuse is beginning to wear a bit thin - much like the Tory "Look what we were left with" line.

While it shouldn't be about personalities I want my councillors to be professional, intelligent and polite. Watch the webcast and see Kitcats bandstanding - he and most of his party are anything but professional, intelligent and polite.

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

Yeah but you are the typical non Brightonian JCL with no sense of Civic Pride, who would.

You do the Tories a disservice with your smug persona. By representing the Tories I am convinced you lose them votes. There are perfectly reasonable Tories who I happen to disagree with, but there's nothing worse than a smug know-it-all like you.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
A cycle lane along the whole of the Old Shoreham Road would be great - especially for me as I live in Portslade. But, most would argue that we cant afford it. The council were awarded money by the government to make the current lane/project happen and it is a start. Little acorns and all that....

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Blimey, i have never been described as a communist before! I never said anything about banning cars into Brighton and Hove, just make it more difficult and encourage better forms of transport and infrastructure that is sustainable.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Blimey, i have never been described as a communist before! I never said anything about banning cars into Brighton and Hove, just make it more difficult and encourage better forms of transport and infrastructure that is sustainable.

There is little difference between banning something and "making it more difficult".

You are describing trying to mold peoples behavior using coercion and force. And you chastise those who don't agree with your politics, suggesting they should be punished. I know it was lose talk about a garden shed at the end of the pier, but this is what Communist China looked like. Just letting you know, perhaps you should consider rethinking your attitude.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There is little difference between banning something and "making it more difficult".

You are describing trying to mold peoples behavior using coercion and force. And you chastise those who don't agree with your politics, suggesting they should be punished. I know it was lose talk about a garden shed at the end of the pier, but this is what Communist China looked like. Just letting you know, perhaps you should consider rethinking your attitude.

And perhaps you should rethink yours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here