Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you could axe players who would go?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Don't know if anyone's noticed, but at the moment our squad is full of LOAN players. Loan, as in they don't belong to us and in many cases can be recalled at a moment's notice. Thats why you have to keep a squad of permanent players on the books, even if they are not your preferred options.

Hence the fact that the majority of players people are naming are either out on loan or have been regularly going backwards and forwards. But they're there in case of emergencies.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Dont be immature, we're having a discussion theres no need to pathetic and do the whole 'hes only 18' line.

Anyway if youre going to be like that then i suppose you get bored of 18 year olds, seeing as youve probably just spent an evening with your wife.

:ohmy:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would CHOP

Kerry Mayo
Gary Hart
Colin Hawkins
Jake Robinson
Steve Thomson
Jonny Dixon
Michele Kuipers - not for ability more for wages savings. Pick up a younger and cheaper number one.

Not seen enough of the new generation of young players to judge.

Scott29

May 11, 2008
Hove
Dixon
Mayo
Hart
Loft
Robinson(send him out on loan for the rest of the season then assess at the end of the season when he returns)

As for the young players there is no need as we have seen a few come through the ranks over the past couple of years and im sure there is more of them too come.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Don't know if anyone's noticed, but at the moment our squad is full of LOAN players. Loan, as in they don't belong to us and in many cases can be recalled at a moment's notice. Thats why you have to keep a squad of permanent players on the books, even if they are not your preferred options.

Hence the fact that the majority of players people are naming are either out on loan or have been regularly going backwards and forwards. But they're there in case of emergencies.

An interesting point. If players are not preferred options then is there any point paying them good money- why not make some other 'better' loan players a permanent?

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Seems MA has been reading this thread and started getting his chopper out with hinsh going to Lewes!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
when you say "axe", do you mean drop from the team, or hideously maim with a heavy and sharp chopping instrument? Because I do think it's important we don't accidentally get these two mixed up.

I made that mistake once, but I think I got away with it...

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Dixon, Gatting, Hart, Mayo, and Loft. They add nothing. The rest have at least something to offer to the squad, if we're talking that we can instantly go and replace there would obviously be a few more.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
With a magic wand wouldn't it be great if the dead wood could be chopped down:clap2: I think that these players are surplus to requirements/ MA plans

Adam Hinshelwood
Doug Loft
Kerry Mayo
Gary Hart
Joe Gatting
Jonny Dixon
Scott Chamberlin
Jake Robinson
David Livermore or Tommy Fraser (one or the other)

bit harsh on loft & fraser... + livermore needs more time to settle in. everyone else i agree with, although jake could probably do a job if we gave him a chance, but we have better quality players ahead of him as it stands.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
A squad is there for a reason. Players like Fraser, Livermore, El-Abd are never going to be axed.
The only players I think should be axed are the players that no matter what the circumstances are, they will not play.
Take Tuesday for example, no Forster or Murray and yet Gatting and Dixon don't make the bench.

Another example, earlier in the season Richards was injured so Livermore filled in ahead of Mayo, who is actually a left back...

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
when you say "axe", do you mean drop from the team, or hideously maim with a heavy and sharp chopping instrument? Because I do think it's important we don't accidentally get these two mixed up.

I made that mistake once, but I think I got away with it...

Was that when you were asked to get your chopper out?

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Clarifying axed- being made available on a free transfer. Loads of clubs seem to do this with players and I can't ever remember us making it clear to the media with a squad player of ours. we should do it more often. Then we might see more headlines with 'choppers' in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here