Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you are thinking of drink driving this xmas....................

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
There was a case that happened on the Littlehampton Rd near Ferring a couple of years ago and because the imigrant didnt hold a license the maximum they could charge him with carried a 6 month sentence which he was given.

And what happend to him after his release or shouldn't I ask?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not know I assume that he was sent back to his original country but that is no consolation for the parents of the child that was knocked over and killed. Is that any better than murder or manslaughter as the end result is the same.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
I do not know I assume that he was sent back to his original country but that is no consolation for the parents of the child that was knocked over and killed. Is that any better than murder or manslaughter as the end result is the same.

God, shouldn't have read this thread, those poor parents must be going through hell right now and more so as it's christmas. Sorry but can't read this thread anymore as it makes me sad that so many people will be going through pain and anger over christmas while we're having a great time.

Happy xmas BG and take care.

Helter.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And what happend to him after his release or shouldn't I ask?

He was deported back to Algeria after serving his sentence.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Quite easy to not drive after a few drinks of an evening but how many of us have driven the next morning ?

The chances are you are still over the limit.

In my opinion there should be a campaign to raise awareness of this danger, as I guess more people ignore this than they do jumping in a car after a few pints.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There is absolutely no excuse for drinking and driving anymore. If you have to go to a Xmas party in Brighton but live miles away, make alternative transport arrangements or don't drink. If you cannot party without drinking, don't go.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Superb video............... should be shown before the premiership match and at half time at every 'Sky' TV pub, how do they seriously think a lot of people get to the pub to watch these games on a cold night!

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
A zero limit is a ridiculous and impractical suggestion. If you have ever had a drink in your life you will be non-zero. There has to be a line somewhere.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A zero limit is a ridiculous and impractical suggestion. If you have ever had a drink in your life you will be non-zero. There has to be a line somewhere.

I agree with this, a complete zero is totally impractical as I understand that the body produces a trace amount of alcohol, so even a child would have a minimal amount in their bloodstream. However, reducing the current allowed levels would send out the message that you should abstain from alcohol for a certain period of time before getting behind the wheel, as I believe is the case in professions like bus or train drivers and airline pilots.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree with this, a complete zero is totally impractical as I understand that the body produces a trace amount of alcohol, so even a child would have a minimal amount in their bloodstream. However, reducing the current allowed levels would send out the message that you should abstain from alcohol for a certain period of time before getting behind the wheel, as I believe is the case in professions like bus or train drivers and airline pilots.

Flight crew have a far lower alcohol limit than ordinary drivers (9mcg alcohol per 100ml of breath as opposed to 35 mcg/100ml).

Speaking as someone who deals with drink drivers and the consequences more than most, I personally think a zero limit is impractical, though I would have no issue with the current limit being lowered.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Thats shocking, infact I almost couldnt watch anymore after the motorbike crash to many memories. :(

As crude as it is we NEED something like this advert in the UK. Too many Christmas memories ruined by Drink/Drug driving.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Interestingly, I believe summer is actually worse for drink driving statistics than Christmas.

Not that I'd recommend it at any time of course, but it's funny how Christmas makes people think about it more.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
There's absolutely no excuse - just get the bloody train. Went to my work do in Brighton last week, went by train - got shit-faced, got the train back and then a cab from the station to my house - £8 total cost. Not too much to ask ?

Exactly - I can never understand the "I can't afford a cab" arguement. Yet they can afford to spend £50 -£60 on booze.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps a legal zero limit is impractical, but how about people take the onus on themselves and have their own practical zero limit. If you have even half a pint, or a small glass of wine, make the decision yourself not to drink. If there is any reasonable way to change society's attitude so that we view driving on half a pint to be as unacceptable as driving on 8 pints perhaps it should be done.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Exactly - I can never understand the "I can't afford a cab" arguement. Yet they can afford to spend £50 -£60 on booze.

Fair point...add to that the many thousands that it costs to learn to drive then buy, insure and run a car!

I would still like to see the Police given the power to conduct random breath tests for drivers. I know that people complain about this being an infringement on civil liberties, but I find it hard to compare that with the fact that I have to share the roads with people unfit to drive through drink or drugs, if it helps catch them then it is a price worth paying. If you have done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Another issue people forget about drug driving - Now i reckon there must be thousands driving round after having teh odd spliff - this lot should be sorted out too.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Does or has anyone ever come up with a calculation for how long alcohol stays in your system? So if, for example, I had six pints on a Saturday night, stopping at 11pm, when would be a safe time to drive on a Sunday? This will be a big issue for many over this festive period, methinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here