Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we signed Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
And off at a complete tangent has any fan at a Borussia Mönchengladbach game ever attempted starting up the "Give us a B" chant?

Comedy genius. :lolol:

I love Warren Aspinall's commentaries, he's a bit like Ray Wilkins in that he says some really stupid things, but he's a good honest football bloke who, however he sounds, knows what he's talking about. Long may his dodgy pronounciations continue, they don't really matter.

That said, it's a shame he wasn't commentating when Imeka Ifejiagwa was here. :lolol:

And on Saturday I heard he and Jonny saying that he had recommended Mattock or Mertock to Gus after seeing him play for West Brom reserves so if he keeps scouting quality players for us he can call them what he likes.
I'm now baffled as to why we didn't end up calling Danny Maddix out of retirement.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It would be more amusing if he got the pronunciation absolutely spot on before the ball was passed to Al Hab.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Jon Venga a hassling
John Veggy of Horseradish
The big fella Jan
Jan Wenger of citylink

Take your pick, I love his pissmonunciations personably, I love the randomness of it all.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
it would be so strange it would cancel itself out
he is hilarious but a great bloke nothing but respect for him

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
I don't mind how he pronounces the names, it kind of adds to the commentary for me now.

And on Saturday I heard he and Jonny saying that he had recommended Mattock or Mertock to Gus after seeing him play for West Brom reserves so if he keeps scouting quality players for us he can call them what he likes.

I have no idea when He watches other matches as a scout coz Hes always ay our games !!!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
A lot of affection for the man for his Albion heritage but he is truly f***ing dire at commentary, the man cannot string half a dozen words together in a comprehensible order. I'm sorry, but the point of commentary is supposed to be that you can understand what's going on without seeing the game with your own eyes. He doesn't know who's on the pitch half the time, how are we supposed to?

This is his description of the Navarro goal from Leeds:

"As I said you need to get Vincente, players of that class on the ball...he's picked the ball up...gone for the one-two with Navro- Navro's kept it...turned...and a- and a shot, I think it's kept...it's got...kept Lonergen err...by mistake...and it's kept under his body!"

ezmally

Sep 16, 2006
Hastings
Jan shaggedawhore nowhiswillystinks

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
A lot of affection for the man for his Albion heritage but he is truly f***ing dire at commentary, the man cannot string half a dozen words together in a comprehensible order. I'm sorry, but the point of commentary is supposed to be that you can understand what's going on without seeing the game with your own eyes. He doesn't know who's on the pitch half the time, how are we supposed to?

This is his description of the Navarro goal from Leeds:

"As I said you need to get Vincente, players of that class on the ball...he's picked the ball up...gone for the one-two with Navro- Navro's kept it...turned...and a- and a shot, I think it's kept...it's got...kept Lonergen err...by mistake...and it's kept under his body!"

A few weeks ago I think I would have totally agreed with you, but despite his, er, eccentricities in his commentary, I'm beginning to warm to his 'style' (or lack thereof).

With continued exposure to his narrative, I am sure that - in time - it will all become as clear as day; and will eventually point the way forward for the future of football commentary (well, perhaps not).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here