Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we lined up Wilkins' Squad against Adams' Squad ... Who would win?

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
And by putting in place a style of play that would improve the team as players and makes them able to switch formations easily.

But MA might get the result due to greater team spirit and commitment to the cause - and a bit more directness.

In Premiership terms it is Wenger v O'Neill. I resect Wenger and love watching his teams. But I want my team to be more O'Neill.

Deano Wenger :clap2:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure it would. If we had this side at the start of the season we would have finished top 6 comfortably.

Shall I go and bounce the posts where you said exactly that about the squad we DID have at the start of the season?....

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
What about another pointless question....

If each manager had each other squads to play with, who would do better ?

Unlike your question, we know at least half the answer....

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure this is all based around the quote that we need a team that can stay in the Championship which has been posted on here many a time before. Which begs the question why Hawkins, Hart & Mayo were signed as they clearly aren't.

Adams, though, has obviously been thinking about a new style of play. This is his comment after Sat ‘’I thought Calvin was excellent. He won an enormous amount in the air, which gives you confidence as you can set your team around somebody who you know that will win the ball 90% of the time’’

I’m sure McNulty is settling down into his first training session with this ringing in his ears. ‘’When you get the ball at your feet lump it towards the big lad’’

It depends who would be MANAGING these squads Lord B.

Whichever squad Wilkins was managing, that one would win.

......but, if Adams were given the Manchester United squad, he might actually fail to blow it, due to the players having a bit too much talent and experience to follow his tactics.

Stumpy Tim

In Premiership terms it is Wenger v O'Neill. I resect Wenger and love watching his teams. But I want my team to be more O'Neill.

Really? I'm not sure I believe that. O'Neill was my boyhood hero & a great manager, but I would much rather my team play short sharp crisp passing (that is successful). Villa may be above Arsenal at the moment, but Wenger's record suggests he is the better manager

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Wilkins team.

Lynch and Elphick were rock solid at the back against the likes of Leeds away - no reason to think they couldn't cope with Forster and Murray / Davies / Andrew etc.

Also, I think Racon and Hammond would boss a midfield.

Wilkins also got his players playing better and better football.

Would be close though.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Shall I go and bounce the posts where you said exactly that about the squad we DID have at the start of the season?....

Hmm, I not sure I said I expected us to comfortably make the top 6...I may have side that the side at the start of the season was one of the better ones we have had for a while though - which I still think it was.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Really? I'm not sure I believe that. O'Neill was my boyhood hero & a great manager, but I would much rather my team play short sharp crisp passing (that is successful). Villa may be above Arsenal at the moment, but Wenger's record suggests he is the better manager

It is a tricky one. I love Wengers approach to the game - and love watching his teams when they are on song and as you say, short, crisp passing. But is it almost watching football on an intellectual level - which is fine when you are watching a team you don't follow.

But for my team I want a bit of blood and thunder and speed of thought and foot. To me there is no finer sight than Manchester United on a European night committing players forward. And Villa have a bit of that in their commitment to attack.

I am sure Wenger is the better manager - and I would love it if he found alove for the Albion. But in a fantasy world I would get more pleasure from watching an O'Neill Albion team.

Nice thoughts anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hmm, I not sure I said I expected us to comfortably make the top 6...I may have side that the side at the start of the season was one of the better ones we have had for a while though - which I still think it was.

I'm not nearly SAD enough to actually go and trawl anyone's old posts, Chris, but you WERE one of the prematurely excited 'Messiah gang'..

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Wilkins also got his players playing better and better football.

And that is important. That team was a work in progress that should have played better as they applied Wilkins' philosophy.

Dario Gradi's comments worried me though when he said along the lines of - "we would love to play like Arsenal - but we simply do not have the players". I was not really convinced players like El Abd and Fraser were in that mould ..........

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm not nearly SAD enough to actually go and trawl anyone's old posts, Chris, but you WERE one of the prematurely excited 'Messiah gang'..

I never rated Wilkins so was pretty happy when he left and even more pleased when Adams was brought back, he was the reason i'm an Albion fan and ill admit being one of the "Messiah gang". Though I never really brought into getting promoted/finishing top 6 this year.

For what its worth I think we'll finish the season strongly and finish comfortably mid table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here