Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

if we have a spare 165.000

skintmanblues

Feb 7, 2004
Orsham
if we have a spare 165.000 what we offered for constatine then surely we could afford a decent striker even if we paid him 5 grand a week till the end of the season .

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
we seemed to offer treble his wages so could afford more,assuming he would be on at least 2500 grand a week

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
empire said:
we seemed to offer treble his wages so could afford more,assuming he would be on at least 2500 grand a week

£2,500,000 a week?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bloody hell, even Chelsea don't pay that kind of money.

;)

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Do we have £165k to burn?? It would be better spent on permanent transfer than wasting it on a four month wonder. Assuming we still have that sum, readily available, I would rather we try and pick someone up in the summer. Either on a free and use that for signing on or bid for someone.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Barrel of Fun said:
Do we have £165k to burn?? It would be better spent on permanent transfer than wasting it on a four month wonder. Assuming we still have that sum, readily available, I would rather we try and pick someone up in the summer. Either on a free and use that for signing on or bid for someone.

What are you talking about you fool? Permanent transfer? Why do that when we could blow it all on a player's wages for 4 months? :jester:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Barrel of Fun said:
we have 150k in transfer kitty from last year plus 200k from cup run . not forgetting 150k from henderson. so money should be available. 10k in a year on players is a joke . we have sold too many players and replaced them with has beens hence our league position and dwindling crowds!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
:lol: Very true Rangdo.

wigman said:
we have 150k in transfer kitty from last year plus 200k from cup run . not forgetting 150k from henderson. so money should be available. 10k in a year on players is a joke . we have sold too many players and replaced them with has beens hence our league position and dwindling crowds!

I understand that, but we don't have money to fund players on big deals, with no chance of making a profit on them. I.e. Losing them on a free at the end of the season..
What if Ruth Kelly was to give us a resounding No, or open up for a further public enquiry? We just have to hang in there until we get a final YES!!

It is all very well saying that we should spend the money, but are the right players out there and available to us? Maybe we should have matched Millwall's valuation of Byfield, but there is no telling whether he would have accepted an offer.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Barrel of Fun said:
:lol: Very true Rangdo.

I understand that, but we don't have money to fund players on big deals, with no chance of making a profit on them. I.e. Losing them on a free at the end of the season..
What if Ruth Kelly was to give us a resounding No, or open up for a further public enquiry? We just have to hang in there until we get a final YES!!

It is all very well saying that we should spend the money, but are the right players out there and available to us? Maybe we should have matched Millwall's valuation of Byfield, but there is no telling whether he would have accepted an offer.

When you take into consideration how skint we've been in recent times it amazes me how short-sighted people's attitudes are the moment it becomes apparent that we might have a small sum of money to spend. I think some people spend a bit too much reading about the likes of Chelski and Manure on the back of the Sun.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Rangdo said:
When you take into consideration how skint we've been in recent times it amazes me how short-sighted people's attitudes are the moment it becomes apparent that we might have a small sum of money to spend. I think some people spend a bit too much reading about the likes of Chelski and Manure on the back of the Sun.

:clap: :clap:

When you think that we averaged about 2,500 or so for two seasons at the Priestfield, then spent a huge amount of money transforming the ground into an 'acceptable' league ground, you are looking at half a squads worth of players wages. Not to mention renting during our last season at The Goldstone to present day. I have a feeling that it was estimated that we had missed out on around £30m of revenue. :down:

It would not be great business sense to blow £160k on a four month wonder. It may get some crowds back, but it is not worth the risk. We just have to hang in there. We are approaching the last hurdle of the Falmer steeplechase and the finish line is in sight!! Let's focus on cheering the youngsters on and putting pressure on Ruth Kelly to make the CORRECT decision.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Barrel of Fun said:

Sorry but if we do go down then £165k spent now will seem like chicken feed compared to the future lost revenue.

Go down and lose even more STH?

IF we had invested in a striker A YEAR AGO then we might have stayed up and had use for the white elephant that is the extra seats.

Go down and this club is really F***ed.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
Sorry but if we do go down then £165k spent now will seem like chicken feed compared to the future lost revenue.

IF we had invested in a striker A YEAR AGO then we might have stayed up and had use for the white elephant that is the extra seats.

But are we?

Who should we spend this £165k on? We obviously tried to spend it. But should we blow it on a single player for just four months service? I don't think we have to money to do that... We need assets, which we are distinctly lacking in! I thought the new signings looked promising and we will have to wait and see how they fit in.

NB I am not saying we shouldn't spend the money, but we can't afford to waste it.

Ps I think it is blatently clear that we would have needed to have spent an obscene amount to stay in the Championship.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:

If it was as black and white as you seem to see it then I would agree. But it's not. So I don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here