Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was any manager you could choose....

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Roberto Martinez, young, hungry and plays the right way. Will be a top manager in a few years

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Roberto Martinez, young, hungry and plays the right way. Will be a top manager in a few years

Agree with this. Really like Martinez, bit of a Gus-like character IMO.

I'm also a big fan of David Moyes. Think he's done so well at Everton, but wonder if he would continue with our way of playing at the moment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I disagree

Cannot argue that the ultimate successful manager, but he has spent £100m's, and is manipulative and bullying.
If you go back to say 1986 and all the years before, despite incredible managers like Nicholson, Shankly, Busby & Paisley,
they didn't behave the same way; and the media were NOT scared of them, or feared being black-balled.
No one manager dominated life.
The spin of Man Utd has artificially created this cult that they are the (alleged) biggest in the World and the bully can do what he likes.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Cannot argue that the ultimate successful manager, but he has spent £100m's, and is manipulative and bullying.
If you go back to say 1986 and all the years before, despite incredible managers like Nicholson, Shankly, Busby & Paisley,
they didn't behave the same way; and the media were NOT scared of them, or feared being black-balled.
No one manager dominated life.
The spin of Man Utd has artificially created this cult that they are the (alleged) biggest in the World and the bully can do what he likes.

I am surprised you see it this way, within the game Sir Alex is not seen as a bully and has a huge amount of respect. Several young managers have been quoted as saying if they ever have an issue they can call him and he will try to help them and always returns calls.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Unfortunately I don't think anyone could adequately replace Gus. I find it almost impossible to imagine the Albion without him now, and the day he leaves I am going to be in BITS. Seriously, I am.

I just don't even like thinking about it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Unfortunately I don't think anyone could adequately replace Gus. I find it almost impossible to imagine the Albion without him now, and the day he leaves I am going to be in BITS. Seriously, I am.

I just don't even like thinking about it.

Yeah, this, find it very difficult to think of the Albion without Gus.

Also, I must add my name apparently to the list of mad people on this site as I cannot abide SAF either.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If not Gus, then there could only be one other choice in terms of style and approach to the game - Pep Guardiola

Can't believe it took 16 posts for this name to come up. Definitely Pep Guardiola. But in the real world... said it many times, Roberto Di Matteo.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In this very hypothetical situation you would be crazy to change horses but if Gus elected to leave RIGHT NOW I think I would go for Karl Robinson from MKD because he is getting his team to play a similar style with some success so the disruption would be minimised and I think he would make the transition up a league and be able to continue our upward climb. If we were in the Premier League by next season and Gus left the options are much greater but on the same principles of wanting to minimise disruption but maximise appropriate experience, probably someone like Di Matteo as he would be able to settle the club at a higher level quickly. A lot depends on the support team they bring with them though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ferguson is too old and along with Pep Guardiola, would struggle to motivate himself to do it all again with a provincial club like the Albion. Personally, I'd be looking for an intelligent, young, hungry manager with contacts in the game and an idea of how to play the game properly.

Tricky. Maybe Tanno, or Roberto Martinez. Or Dougie Freedman, if it turns out he knows what he's doing as that would have the added bonus of greatly upsetting the Nigels.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would like to think that if Gus did leave that maybe Tanno would stay as manager, Who better to take over from Gus than his assistant?

I get the impression they are very much an "item" (professionally). When Gus goes, he'll take Tanno with him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am surprised you see it this way, within the game Sir Alex is not seen as a bully and has a huge amount of respect. Several young managers have been quoted as saying if they ever have an issue they can call him and he will try to help them and always returns calls.

ManU fan by any chance?

He is very much seen as a bully. With Bruce, Allerdyce & Pulis, the poodles in tow.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I get the impression they are very much an "item" (professionally). When Gus goes, he'll take Tanno with him.
Surely that would depend on a couple of things. Firstly, there is nothing to suggest they are an "item" is there? This is Gus's first managerial job. Secondly, if the club approached Tanno with an offer, would he necessarily go? Especially if we were a Premier league club? I'm sure Gus would go and offer Tanno the job of right hand man, but I'd have thought a Premier League management role would always prove more enticing...

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
ManU fan by any chance?

He is very much seen as a bully. With Bruce, Allerdyce & Pulis, the poodles in tow.

This.

It is well known he is a bully and manipulator, against anyone not on his side, or whose free speech he detests.
The ManU fans I know fully admit this, but in their desparation like Fergie for win at ALL costs, don't care.
Trophies over respect and civility.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Agreed. He is the perfect fit for us just now. The question that always interests me (albeit in a very depressing way) is who would we get to replace him if he left? I reckon Di Matteo or Robinson at MK would be in the running...

I think when Poyet eventually leaves, he will effectively be in a position to name a successor. So it would no doubt be someone who subscribes to his way of playing the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here