Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If the Premier League is able to continue...

Where should the remainder of Premier League games be played?

• Home grounds, as originally scheduled

Votes: 133 75.6%
  • Home grounds (I don't think really believe this, but I'm #TeamBarbs)

Votes: 29 16.5%
  • Neutral venues

Votes: 14 8.0%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Would home fans really congregate en-masse outside a ground which was empty, just because their team were playing inside behind closed doors - and won't be able to see them, or barely hear them, and definitely wouldn't give a toss anyway. Really?

If the answer is yes, I'm afraid my faith in humanity will wane somewhat.

Yeah never convinced by that, bar maybe 10-15 genuine oddballs. There would be police there. It wouldn’t be fun.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would home fans really congregate en-masse outside a ground which was empty, just because their team were playing inside behind closed doors - and won't be able to see them, or barely hear them, and definitely wouldn't give a toss anyway. Really?

For most games, no, I don't think they would. However...

- Liverpool playing to win the title
- Sides playing to try to avoid relegation

...and, to a lesser extend, a non-top 6 side playing to secure a European spot.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I agree. I think this has been overstated.

If you had the choice between watching the game at home or missing the game by standing near where it is happening, but you couldn't see or hear anything and will likely be fined for doing it, what would you do?

It's more of a risk for the an end of season party for those who've won the league, or gone up etc. As these will be one offs, I think it could be managed with an increased police presence, (crime is down at the moment:)) and consistent media warnings beforehand with threats of fines. It needs thinking about, but to me, isn't something which couldn't be prepared for.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Home and Away.

If crowds can't be there, everything else for home advantage has to be maximised.

We need Newcastle to have the long trip down and hotel stay etc. etc. etc.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
For most games, no, I don't think they would. However...

- Liverpool playing to win the title
- Sides playing to try to avoid relegation

...and, to a lesser extend, a non-top 6 side playing to secure a European spot.

And yet if Liverpool win the title their fans won't congregate around Anfield because the match is being played at the AMEX? That's what makes this a non starter in my book. Even the Liverpool mayor says this is nonsense.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Home and Away.

The additional worry is that if neutral venues are used, is that I can see the desire to have a round or 2 or future PL fixtures played overseas will come back onto the table.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ive gone for home and away ..not so good for Man Utd fans wanting to congregate outside the ground (of course this is nawty) as it’ll mean they’ll have to travel for all games

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
And what do they do if just 1 player tests positive or has symptoms ?.... do we all stop again ?....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There are two reasons for neutral grounds. One is to stop fans congregating. The other is that some grounds, particularly older ones, haven't got room for social distancing. (Turf Moor's dressing room was built in 1968, for 11 players, 1 sub, manager, assistant manager, physio. They have filled in the communal bath area, but it isn't big even so. The corridors are narrow too. That's why the Amex will be used, Turf Moor won't.)

Pathetic deflection. No reason at all why need to use the changing rooms.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Turfmoor. Must have been the anniversary of a visit recently as Facebook sent me a reminder of 100's of Albion fans filling the cricket club next door, buying up their booze (some decent ales if I recall) and sitting on the cricket ground in the sun.
Voted home/away. Thinking of the CL final in Madrid, how many Liverpool fans went without tickets just to be there?
Whilst the Amex is perfect, new ground, no houses, no pubs and only two entrances to police (unless abseiling down the wall behind the West), can you imagine the Watford V Norwich game being played there? Relegated on our own pitch.
Another question. 92 games on 10 pitches in 6 weeks. That's 9 games per pitch or 3 over two weeks. Can any pitch take that?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And what do they do if just 1 player tests positive or has symptoms ?.... do we all stop again ?....

Bundesliga has seen 10 positive cases from 1,700 odd tests of every player in top two leagues.

Merkel has just given them the go ahead for next week. Could we be in a similar position in a months time? Ambitious, possibly...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Bundesliga has seen 10 positive cases from 1,700 odd tests of every player in top two leagues.

Merkel has just given them the go ahead for next week. Could we be in a similar position in a months time? Ambitious, possibly...

So its tough luck of you happen to get a spate of cases in your squad ?... can see that going down well....

I'm still waiting for some players to come out and say they are not going to play.... it will happen

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is this a poll to see if we're Brighton fans or Palace fans?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Home & Away as planned.

That said, I think there is some merit in altering the schedules to reduce travelling. For example, if a team from up north has 2-3 away games against teams from the south coast / London then play them in a block over the course of a week and keep the team isolated during that time. Makes no sense for (e.g.) Liverpool to go to Southampton, then back to Liverpool, then back to Brighton, then back to Liverpool, then back to London over 10 days, for example.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So its tough luck of you happen to get a spate of cases in your squad ?... can see that going down well....

I'm still waiting for some players to come out and say they are not going to play.... it will happen

Yeah it would feel unfair if a team lost a couple of games due to having more than say 1 or 2 players having to isolate.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Turfmoor. Must have been the anniversary of a visit recently as Facebook sent me a reminder of 100's of Albion fans filling the cricket club next door, buying up their booze (some decent ales if I recall) and sitting on the cricket ground in the sun.
Voted home/away. Thinking of the CL final in Madrid, how many Liverpool fans went without tickets just to be there?
Whilst the Amex is perfect, new ground, no houses, no pubs and only two entrances to police (unless abseiling down the wall behind the West), can you imagine the Watford V Norwich game being played there? Relegated on our own pitch.
Another question. 92 games on 10 pitches in 6 weeks. That's 9 games per pitch or 3 over two weeks. Can any pitch take that?

The Worthing FC ground might be available (3g pitch).

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE

So the conversation goes:
Player:Boss i'm not prepared to play, I don't feel safe.

Manager: Ok no problem you wont get paid though.

Player: Tantrum.....

Manager: Finished?

Player: Yes. ok I'll play

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
So the conversation goes:
Player:Boss i'm not prepared to play, I don't feel safe.

Manager: Ok no problem you wont get paid though.

Player: Tantrum.....

Manager: Finished?

Player: Yes. ok I'll play

Except that wont happen... no one will be forced to play, escpecially if they have high risk partners or family members at home...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Games at the scheduled grounds and just water cannon wankers who turn up at the stadiums :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here