Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If the Lib Dems lose control of LDC in May...

Depending on who took control, if the Lib Dems lost control of Lewes District Council in May, would that in theory bring a complete halt to their objections?

You know, if the Seagulls Party took control, LDC would suddenly drop all its objections :)

Or am I missing something here? :jester:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
LDC -- as a corporate entity -- would still have to make representations to Ruth Kelly. She has asked them to, presumably in a letter to the chief executive (who doesn't change when a new party takes control).

However, if the Seagulls party had control, those representations could be: "Here is why we think Falmer is just the right place for a stadium, and why Toad's Hole Valley is wrong-diddly-wrong-wrong."

LDC's final representations have to be with Ruth Kelly's department by mid-February. That's eleven weeks before the election. By the time the elections come round, she should have finished the process of considering what LDC have said.

She might even have taken the decision.

When she takes the decision, LDC (and anyone else) has six weeks to decide whether or not to appeal against it to the High Court.

If by then the Lib Dems have lost control of Lewes District Council, it is more than likely that LDC would decide NOT to appeal against a YES decision.

What is needed during the election campaign is not just a big vote for the Seagulls Party. We need to get Lewes Tories to commit themselves publicly to supporting the stadium.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lord Bracknell said:
We need to get Lewes Tories to commit themselves publicly to supporting the stadium.

I thought that rather plum sounding chap at the rally was committed to our cause ?

Or is he a prospective MP ?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I'm surprised that more has not been said about the statement
made by the BBC reporter last week on BBC SouthEast Today
that Lewes DC will not object if Ruth Kelly says yes to Falmer.

We need to get that statement verified or see if Lewes are going to call the BBC report as inaccurate.

Beach Hut said:
I thought that rather plum sounding chap at the rally was committed to our cause ?

Or is he a prospective MP ?
He's the prospective Tory candidate in the parliamentary election. But he's an ex-councillor and claims to be very influential in his local party.

How influential remains to be seen.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Lord Bracknell said:
He's the prospective Tory candidate in the parliamentary election. But he's an ex-councillor and claims to be very influential in his local party.

How influential remains to be seen.

He also refused to say the word "Falmer" when he spoke at the rally on the seafront. He just kept saying: "I know you need a new stadium"....

ack

Apr 20, 2006
At the end of the day any councilor that backs Falmer is worth the vote,bollox to council tax or schools ,nhs.this is local elections and BHA have goto win:D
Shame I now nat eligable to vote local, but I give me local derbyshire twat shite in our cause:censored:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
So if we win this appeal and the Lib Dems stay in power then they could appeal yet again.

Marvellous scenes.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
This is an interesting point, if the Tories supported the stadium at Falmer, would it still be worth running a Seagulls party and splitting the vote, when everyone could just vote Tory, who I would presume have a pretty good shout at winning the council?

The thought of voting Tory is a bit galling, but I would if it meant an end to Lib Dems in Lewes and a new stadium.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
n1 gull said:
This is an interesting point, if the Tories supported the stadium at Falmer, would it still be worth running a Seagulls party and splitting the vote, when everyone could just vote Tory, who I would presume have a pretty good shout at winning the council?

The thought of voting Tory is a bit galling, but I would if it meant an end to Lib Dems in Lewes and a new stadium.
I've said this on another thread. If Tory candidates will publicly support the stadium bid and say that if elected they will stop the senseless waste of council money then they should NOT have Seagulls Party candidates put up against them. Not only that but we should consider actively campaining on their behalf.

Yes I know the Tories are historically anti-football and deep down these candidates ARE probably opposed to the stadium - but given the choice between a lying Tory shyster out to con a few votes and a Lewes LibDem I know who I'd choose.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
n1 gull said:

The Seagulls Party would offer an alternative for people who want a stadium but would rather be butt-raped by a giant cactus before they voted Tory.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Gwylan said:
The Seagulls Party would offer an alternative for people who want a stadium but would rather be butt-raped by a giant cactus before they voted Tory.

What utter trash. Whatever your previous politial persuasion, you should do what's best for the Albion

The fact is, if the Tories come out and actively support Falmer (not just the need for a new stadium) then it represents the best way for us to oust the Lib Dems. The Seagulls party would just split the anti Lib Dems vote, and run the risk of Lib Dems getting back in.

Whatever the decision, and whatever the timing, I'd want to get the Lib Dems out of Lewes, even if we had an uncontested YES from Ruthy. The Lib Dems need to pay for what they have done by losing their power

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
DANGER! DANGER!!

NEVER......EVER.............trust the Tories to do what they say to get your vote.

There will be some slippery get out of promise card.......er,I never realised all the facts.......now I've seen the small print whats needed is an enhanced duck pond,and the right to hunt over the AONB at Falmer etc.,etc.

VOTE SEAGULLS WITH PRIDE.

member 306

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Gwylan said:

Im one who swore never EVER to vote Tory (and won't have to anyway) but if the tories do support the stadium and the Seagulls party stands we are in danegr of splitting the vote and letting LDC back in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
withdeanwombat said:
DANGER! DANGER!!

NEVER......EVER.............trust the Tories to do what they say to get your vote.

lets be fair now, never trust ANY party to do what they say once in.

In this situation, Tory votes could mean Lib Dems out, while voting "seagull party" will just reduced a majority. If if they dont give a flying about BHA and Falmer, they will at least look to remove the cost of dragging it on.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
..also, even if the Tories were not 100% behind Falmer, I don't imagine that they would be as anti Falmer as the Lib Dems are. Gotta be worth it.

As long as the Lib Dems get ousted, I dont give a toss !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here