Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If the greens are winning all these seats in Brighton from Labour...

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Look, stop worrying. They're not suddenly going to throw a spanner in the Falmer works. It's already going ahead. Lewes will lose their appeal and that's the end of it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well done JUICY, maybe all your hard work made a difference. I bet that feels pretty good.

:)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The official Green Party line was always 'we will accept the decision of the Secretary of State', and so far, they have kept to that.

Above and beyond that, the matter is now with Ruth Kelly. It does depend on who ends up on the planning committee for all the other things which need to go throught the council before Falmer is built, but seeing as the Tories are by-and-large behind Falmer (especially those in Patcham and Westdene), there shouldn't be too many issues. Hopefully.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Gwylan said:
Not true. They were opposed to the Sainsbury by the station; a brownfield site next to public transport.

If that wasn't environmentally sound, god knows what is.

It was a disgrace leaving that site derelict, an environmental disaster of the aesthetic kind. Only now with the building work going on do you realise JUST how big the area was.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:

Above and beyond that, the matter is now with Ruth Kelly. It does depend on who ends up on the planning committee for all the other things which need to go throught the council before Falmer is built, but seeing as the Tories are by-and-large behind Falmer (especially those in Patcham and Westdene), there shouldn't be too many issues. Hopefully.

OFMBY's?

Out of My Back Yarders?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
JJ McClure said:
I would have thought that any increase in the green representation could potwentially hamper any future development be it the marina, black rock, i360 etc etc. Hopefully anything that has already been voted on such as Falmer, Sussex CCC, Ghery towers will still be OK.

The Tory spokesman on SCR last night said they are going to look at the King Alfred developement and make a decision on it. If that is correct and they are able to overturn any previous decisions made, then what chance do we have of staying at Withdean ,if RK says yes , until Falmer is complete.

We will be battling against Tory and Green Party.

This is the email I got from my local Green councillor the day before the elections:

Dear James: My personal view is that the Albion need a stadium, and when I was first asked to stand for the Green Party in 2003 I made it plain that I would vote for Falmer should the occasion arise. Tha remains my position. Football is of such importance in community terms, and the Albion, of course, recently won the Football League award for its community work. A successful team is the stuff of sustainable communities. The party's view remains the same: it will support the decision of Ruth Kelly. Best wishes Bill Randall
PS: I am also a life-long Arsenal fan and played club football every muddy Saturdat until I was 45. Notice to recipient: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged and confidential, the disclosure of which is prohibited by law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately. Thank you in anticipation of your co-operation.

You can visit our website at http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk

Please consider the environment, only print out this email if absolutely necessary.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Southover Street Seagull said:
This is the email I got from my local Green councillor the day before the elections:

Dear James: My personal view is that the Albion need a stadium, and when I was first asked to stand for the Green Party in 2003 I made it plain that I would vote for Falmer should the occasion arise. Tha remains my position. Football is of such importance in community terms, and the Albion, of course, recently won the Football League award for its community work. A successful team is the stuff of sustainable communities. The party's view remains the same: it will support the decision of Ruth Kelly. Best wishes Bill Randall
PS: I am also a life-long Arsenal fan and played club football every muddy Saturdat until I was 45.
Interesting. Fair play to him.

BensGrandad said:
The Tory spokesman on SCR last night said they are going to look at the King Alfred developement and make a decision on it. If that is correct and they are able to overturn any previous decisions made, then what chance do we have of staying at Withdean ,if RK says yes , until Falmer is complete.

We will be battling against Tory and Green Party.

They can't overturn a previous Council Planning permission as long as that development is started within 5 years of permission being granted.

crosbysleftear

Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
I'm a green party member and when I stood for the council last time around we were advised to say nothing. If you remember at the time the argus asked all the candidates their opinion and there was one who was one green candidate who was for - that would be me.

The general attitude amongst the part here seems to be building on the downs bad but sustainable communities good so we can't decide so we'll go along with the majority which is fair enough.

The Green party is very much for giving power back to local communities and I don't think that they would ever go against a decision as overwhelming as the Falmer referendum was. It would simply go against all their talk off giving power back to ordinary people and that talk is the second largest plank of the whole manifesto.

In conclusion I wouldn't worry about the Greens.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
crosbysleftear said:
I'm a green party member and when I stood for the council last time around we were advised to say nothing. If you remember at the time the argus asked all the candidates their opinion and there was one who was one green candidate who was for - that would be me.

The general attitude amongst the part here seems to be building on the downs bad but sustainable communities good so we can't decide so we'll go along with the majority which is fair enough.

The Green party is very much for giving power back to local communities and I don't think that they would ever go against a decision as overwhelming as the Falmer referendum was. It would simply go against all their talk off giving power back to ordinary people and that talk is the second largest plank of the whole manifesto.

In conclusion I wouldn't worry about the Greens.

Fair enough! Excellent result by the way. What exactly is the membership like of the Green Party in Brighton?

crosbysleftear

Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
Pretty good, we are easily the 3rd biggest party and if you skip the Hove part probably the 2nd biggest. I'm rubbish though as I have not been very active at all.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Must be quite a morale booster though. Was it better than you originally predicted or have you been "idle" for awhile and not really picked up on those vibes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here