• I'd give up my season ticket but still support the club

Votes: 43 14.1%
  • I'd performatively flounce out but be back in 6 months

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • I'd stop buying club merchandise but still show up at games

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • I'd not change anything to how I currently do things

Votes: 76 24.9%
  • I'd be all in - We're winning the Quadruple baby!

Votes: 12 3.9%

• Total voters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Plenty walked the walk for what they believed in during the 90s :thumbsup:

Yeah, fair play, poor example on here, thankfully. Many walked the walk, and even better, plenty from other clubs did so too in support.

I'm currently watching the Premier League series on BBC iPlayer though. I wonder how many football fans protesting at the time still watch their team in the Premier League AND have a Sky subscription to go with it?

It's the same with all the bluster over the ESL proposals. It will happen, unfortunately. And a very tiny percentage of fans from the clubs involved will actually walk away when it happens, despite protesting against it.

Further to that. I wonder what the viewing figures will be for the next World Cup?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No option for 'Help start an AFC Brighton'? We could go through it all again!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nobody has started a thread about it…….:moo:

But she/he is right. And it's really what I meant about the walk the walk comment. In the wider society, many people talk about protesting about things they don't agree with, but when push comes to shove very very few go all in.

Football fans are probably even worse at this because they're so emotionally invested in their club and the game that they almost can't let go, no matter what. Football authorities appear to know this. They can treat fans anyway they like, and they'll still keep coming back for more.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It would fundamentally change everything about our club, from bottom to top.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I must have missed all the protests against the UK selling billions in arms to the Saudis every year…

Touch my football club though, I’m hitting the streets with placards!!

Why the outrage in football but not for what amounts to actually arming this regime!?

Because I love my football club.

I don’t LOVE Twitter or Uber or all these other things. It’s such a bollocks false equivalence when people say “ah but you use Twitter” etc. The comparison doesn’t work at all.

I also don’t agree at all with us arming them. If there’s something I could do to change that, I would.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sportswashing.

Aside from a few annoyed people on football fora, to give their regime a better public image across the globe.

You'll see this almost immediately with investment in a poor part of Newcastle, great PR. Mansour is lauded for turning around a rundown area of east Manchester.

This. They'll invest heavily in the local community and use that plus the success of the football team to project a modern, shiny, acceptable image to the world. They've started doing it with boxing, I think they've done something similar with golf.

Newcastle, the premier league and, frankly, most of us will buy it hook, line and sinker given enough time.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I honestly don't know how I would react.
It isn't something I could just give up on.

I know a few City fans, who are good people and have supported the club through the hard times.
They are loving the position now and I don't think anyone can blame them.
I'm sure in their heart of hearts they would prefer it was achieved with different owners, but that isn't an option.

Fortunately it isn't something we would have to consider.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
But she/he is right. And it's really what I meant about the walk the walk comment. In the wider society, many people talk about protesting about things they don't agree with, but when push comes to shove very very few go all in.

Football fans are probably even worse at this because they're so emotionally invested in their club and the game that they almost can't let go, no matter what. Football authorities appear to know this. They can treat fans anyway they like, and they'll still keep coming back for more.

I think many Albion fans would protest, especially after what we went through in the past.

I also don’t believe there would be many acting the the Newcastle fans I saw on the news, dancing around outside the stadium drinking and some wearing tea towels on their heads. :D

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had a conversation with Mrs T about his. The only game in toon now is what will happen next.

I find it curious that a nation that has funded terrorism and operates Sharia law is willing to invest in a game and club that are fuelled by western decadance and booze and women.

What do the Saudi's hope to gain. Money? I don't think they need it? Love and understanding? I don't think they give a shit what we think? Tourism? Far cough. I simply don't get it.....

Unless this is the (unlikely) first toe dip ino the water of possible change. Mrs T says 'that's bollocks' and I'm inclined to agree.

So I remain completely baffled by all this.

Edit - hang on - the oil is running out isn't it, and in any case we will be 'all electric' in a few years (cars). So.......
You left betting and gambling off that list as well!!!

I saw a programme a few years back that postulated that the object of many of the smaller Arab Wealth Funds was merely to buy acceptance and a degree of " linkage " to Western nations by buying sporting crown jewels.

Geographically, many of the little sheikhdoms have pots of cash but could be rolled over in hours by Iran, so, they seek friendships and connections for insurance purposes effectively.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would never turn my back on Brighton and Hove Albion - I support the team not the owners

How would you rationalize your life long support for a lower league team with a couple of lower league trophies.
With a team who over the next 10 years wins every League cup and half a dozen EPL trophies?

You're clearly not supporting the same team.
You're suddenly supporting Saudia Arabia.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How would you rationalize your life long support for a lower league team with a couple of lower league trophies.
With a team who over the next 10 years wins every League cup and half a dozen EPL trophies?

That's just not true is it?

The owners of PSG and Man City are just as bad but their fans identify with the club, not the owners (quite religiously in the case of the PSG Ultras). I must have missed the Ultra banner that said "Please go home Messi, we've bought you with sportswashing".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has nailed this on page 1 by the way. The issue for me would be Bloom selling to ANYONE. I just don't want him to.

If he did sell to an even more minted nation state 90% of the current Amex STHs would eventually lap it up if we started winning trophies.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
poll results surprise me.

We have a billionaire owner who has sunk hundred of millions in. Without that we wouldnt be anything

Not that more of a leap is it

I can't let that post pass without comment.

There is NO comparison.

Having a wealthy owner (who of course happens to be a Brighton fan, whose family have been involved with the club since the 1970s, travels to/from away games with fans) is one thing.

Being owned by a STATE, because this is what this takeover of NUFC is, is another matter all together - far worse still being owed by a State with appalling human rights record, anti-gay etc.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Sadly too many Amex lanyard-wearers who don't give the slightest f*ck about any of that stuff and would jump ship overnight were a r*legation from the EPL ever to happen. Barber would prob be first OUT. Ah well. That's Entertainment :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's just not true is it?

The owners of PSG and Man City are just as bad but their fans identify with the club, not the owners (quite religiously in the case of the PSG Ultras). I must have missed the Ultra banner that said "Please go home Messi, we've bought you with sportswashing".

Both sets of fans can tenuously cling onto the belief that their investment is merely returning them back to where they belong.
PSG were winning titles 15 years after the were formed in 1970, attracting the best French footballers along the way.
City have an honours roll longer than the most recent investment.

Brighton don't.
My Albion doesn't.

I have never gone to watch my Albion play out some FIFA 2022 fantasy on the PS5.

With one of my favourite players being Mickey Small I have no place in that world!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. They'll invest heavily in the local community and use that plus the success of the football team to project a modern, shiny, acceptable image to the world. They've started doing it with boxing, I think they've done something similar with golf.

Newcastle, the premier league and, frankly, most of us will buy it hook, line and sinker given enough time.

With a sizeable investment in the WSL .... oh what a surprise. Making good the treatment of females in Saudi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here