Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If teams are level on points and GD...

Ezekiel Rowe

Apr 23, 2004
Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere. But I heard on Radio 5 that there's a new ruling in Euro 2004: if two teams are playing each other on the final group game to qualify and are level on points and GD after 90 minutes, they have to take penalties to decide who goes through. This won't apply to Portugal and Spain anymore (it may have done if Portugal only drew against Russia) but may make the other groups interesting.

Does this make sense? I'm not sure now I've written it.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
My Euro 2004 guide says the final group table will be ranked on the following priorities for teams level on points-
1. winner of the match between level teams.
2 goal difference
3 goals scored
4. qualifying record for 2002 world cup & euro 2004
5. fair play ranking
6. either penalties or drawing of lots

therefore on your scenario above, teams which have drawn and are level on GD and goals scored will be ranked by their qualifying record before it comes to penalties...hmmm

Nov 3, 2003
im sure i read sumwear its then down to result between the 2 teams involved in the 'tie' so if say frogs and bulldogs are tied the frogs go through coz they beat us 2-1 the other day, if on other hand say we'd drawn with the frogs the other day then its down to a toss of a coin. Which is madness IMHO

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've got
1 Result between the 2 teams that are level
2 Goal Difference
3 Goals scored
4 Toss of coin

as the method for seperating teams that are level after all group games have played

Ezekiel Rowe

Apr 23, 2004
Euro 2004 Official Rules and Regulations

:rolleyes: No. I'm right. Read on...

If two or more teams finish level on points at the end of the group phase, these are the
criteria which will be used to determine the final group placings:
1 Greater number of points in the matches between the teams in question
2 Goal difference from matches between the teams in question
3 Greater number of goals scored in matches between the teams in question *
4 Goal difference resulting from all three group games
5 Greater number of goals scored in all group games
6 Coefficient derived from UEFA EURO 2004™ and FIFA 2002 World Cup qualifiers
(points obtained divided by number of matches played)
7 Fair Play ranking
8 Drawing of lots by the Committee for the European Championship only
applicable if more than two teams are level

· If two teams meeting in one of the last group matches have the same number of points,
the same goal difference and the same number of goals, and if this match stands at a
draw at the end of normal time, the ranking of these two teams will be determined by
kicks from the penalty mark rather than the above-mentioned criteria.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
RoyalAli said:
The result between the two teams counts.
So if us and france are level on top (somehow), they will take first spot because they beat us.

I'm not sure about penalties though.
in 1994 didn't one World Cup group finish with all four teams having 4 points each?

things then were more confusing as 3 teams could go through, but i'm sure you're right

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
1 Most haircuts by one player (we win with Beckham)
2 Longest amount of games without scoring from a Ginger bloke (we win with Scholes)
3 Seperated at birth from the Simpsons Characters (we win with Sven = Monty Burns....Excellent!
4 Debut games against Brighton & Hove Albion FC (we win with Beckam, his first FA Cup game was against us in 1993)
5 Number of hooligans arrested at prevoius tournament ('nuff said)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
· If two teams meeting in one of the last group matches have the same number of points,
the same goal difference and the same number of goals, and if this match stands at a
draw at the end of normal time, the ranking of these two teams will be determined by
kicks from the penalty mark rather than the above-mentioned criteria.

thats quite a good idea saves time and seems fair

It's odd that they've gone for penalties after 90 minutes, rather than extra time / silver goal / golden goal options.

Maybe they've worked out that extra time at this level is usually taken as an opportunity for 30 minutes of pointless kick around.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't know why they don't just insist on penalty kicks for any game that ends in a draw.

These could then be used to seperate the sides after points, GD and Goals Scored. You'd then only need to draw lots in the event of a 3 way tie for the second qualifying spot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here