Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Ruth Kelly says "no"...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Barrel of Fun said:
Why? Why? WHY!? What could possibly be the problem with us playing there. It is 'temporary measure'!! ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!

I remember reading the SWEAT newsletter (Save Withdean Environment Action Team). It got delivered through my parent's letterbox. Warning of crime/vandalism/urination etc. He is obviously a pathetic old scrote that likes to see his name printed in the paper or have his name mentioned on the airwaves. :shutup:

I think most people in Withdean were happyish when we returned as it was only going to be for a couple of years...if Kelly says yes, then it could be another 3-4 years till Falmer is built and running, theerfore the couple of years has turned into something like 10 years. i think if I was not an albion fan and was a neighbour, I would be f***ed off too.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If Kelly says No, then this is what I would do....

My Plan B - although obviously not one that is currently viable would be this: and IMHO Btw.

Knock down Shoreham Cement Works
Clear the site
Straighten out or improve the road access via the Shoreham /Henfield road
Build the stadium there.
Build a Cinema, bowling alley, swimming pool complex and sports facilities.
Negotiate with Railtrack to reopen the Shoreham to Guilford railway line....or at least run a spur to the Cement Works ( as per the track that is already there)
Build a park and ride by Shoreham Airport

Possibly something similiar to what Archer rejected, but if all else fails, I would rather see this that the club go under.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Dave the Gaffer said:

My Plan B - although obviously not one that is currently viable would be this: and IMHO Btw.

Clear the site
Build the stadium there.
Negotiate with Railtrack to reopen the Shoreham to Guilford railway line....or at least run a spur to the Cement Works ( as per the track that is already there)

Possibly something similiar to what Archer rejected, but if all else fails, I would rather see this that the club go under.

£150m ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Titanic said:

dpends who goes in with you. If Adur would be happy for a commercial type development, then presumably we could get private monies.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Do you think the council and club would change their stance on possibly making withdean our perm home..considering it has worked really well. Got to be a better option than not being a club anymore!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
byf said:
Do you think the council and club would change their stance on possibly making withdean our perm home..considering it has worked really well. Got to be a better option than not being a club anymore!

that is the $64,000 question.

It would certainly be a very brave council to chuck us out of Withdean when our "lease" is up.

If you ask the people " in the know" they will tell you that if Falmer is rejected we are dead. As we have gone along with everything they have said sionce the Falmer application launch we must accept that they are correct and if Kelly says no, then its up to watch Reading
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
dpends who goes in with you. If Adur would be happy for a commercial type development, then presumably we could get private monies.
That's a big 'if', and sadly I do know the answer to this. In no way does Adur District Council want Brighton & Hove Albion's stadium located within its remit.

However, I've got a feeling that the Upper Beeding Cement Works are located within Horsham District Council's area. But I could be wrong.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Upper Beeding Cement works is full of Asbestos, we would be looking at a huge cost to use that site and I mean huge.

Dave, there are a lot of non-football fans around Withdean, but it doesn't appear to bother them. Maybe I am being thoughtless, but these sustained, unsucessful attacks, costing the taxpayer and the club money are scandalous.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Spend £150m on building a stadium for a club with a record attendance of 8,000?

I really really hope we get Falmer because I think its Falmer, a revamped Withdean or go skint.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Reading these comments one can't help but feel the desperation of the supporters.
The way I see it, the day the Goldstone was sold was the beginning of the end, I hope that I am wrong, but the majority of people living in and around Brighton and Hove don't want a football team at all.
It interferes with the idea of Brighton being the bohemian city full of luvvys, street theater, poncy festivals, gay tributes(no offence) and lots of nice arty farty things.
Football with it's supporters, rowdiness and general atmosphere is extremely not welcome.
The local government don't want to know because they would rather see people coming in to buy josticks, than being frightened away every other Saturday by footballing types and riff raff.
The Shoreham idea is a good idea because travelling supporters would not have to go through Brighton and chant and drink and stuff, these run down areas would benefit financially also.
If a new ground is ever built I will come back for the first game, but it won't be at Falmer.:down:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Barrel of Fun said:
Upper Beeding Cement works is full of Asbestos, we would be looking at a huge cost to use that site and I mean huge.

Agreed, but someone will have to do it sometime.

Dave, there are a lot of non-football fans around Withdean, but it doesn't appear to bother them. Maybe I am being thoughtless, but these sustained, unsucessful attacks, costing the taxpayer and the club money are scandalous. [/B]

Are you referring to catt?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
OzMike said:
Reading these comments one can't help but feel the desperation of the supporters.
The way I see it, the day the Goldstone was sold was the beginning of the end, I hope that I am wrong, but the majority of people living in and around Brighton and Hove don't want a football team at all.
It interferes with the idea of Brighton being the bohemian city full of luvvys, street theater, poncy festivals, gay tributes(no offence) and lots of nice arty farty things.
Football with it's supporters, rowdiness and general atmosphere is extremely not welcome.
The local government don't want to know because they would rather see people coming in to buy josticks, than being frightened away every other Saturday by footballing types and riff raff.
The Shoreham idea is a good idea because travelling supporters would not have to go through Brighton and chant and drink and stuff, these run down areas would benefit financially also.
If a new ground is ever built I will come back for the first game, but it won't be at Falmer.:down:

I disagree with you on the point people of brighton dont want a football ground....The vote we had say something a little different...Now I think there are alot of people who arnt really arsed but as for not wanting it...The people voted and it says they do!

Why the fcuk is shoreham bring mentioned Again..If its not falmer..then it wont be anywhere to much has been sort through that this is the only viable site.....Withdean being done up is the only thing I can think of...As for falmer I do think it will happen just mnot for a few years yet!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
andybaha said:
Spend £150m on building a stadium for a club with a record attendance of 8,000?

I really really hope we get Falmer because I think its Falmer, a revamped Withdean or go skint.

I thought opur record attendance was over 35K?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dave the Gaffer said:

Clear the site
Build the stadium there.

Dave you mustn't suggest such a move because I have been slagged mercilessly for saying the same. The major objection by most people was the fact that it is 8 miles from Brighton but that is debatable dependant on route etc. To counteract that I have said that I am certain that if I had the money to carry out this operation and I proved as much to the Football League they would change their views on relocation as it is so near.

The land is owned by Horsham District Council who I was told when it was first mentioned were prepared to give £40m towards the project as a community project. Plus the plans would have gone through without any problems and probably no enquiry instigated by the few houses nearby.

Had Barry Lloyd won the day with Archer there is no doubt whatsoever we would be playing there now.

The major problem now is the increased cost that such a project would incur.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Dave the Gaffer said:
Agreed, but someone will have to do it sometime.

Are you referring to catt?

Yes, not you! :lolol:

I lived in Withdean for the first 22 years of my life and the only impact is an increased level of traffic. Noise? I would say that is minimal - it could be a lot worse.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
byf said:
I disagree with you on the point people of brighton dont want a football ground....The vote we had say something a little different...Now I think there are alot of people who arnt really arsed but as for not wanting it...The people voted and it says they do!

Why the fcuk is shoreham bring mentioned Again..If its not falmer..then it wont be anywhere to much has been sort through that this is the only viable site.....Withdean being done up is the only thing I can think of...As for falmer I do think it will happen just mnot for a few years yet!

the question was what would happen if Falmer was rejected...I said IMHO ( IMHO) IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO IMHO Shoreham Cement works would make an excellent site ( as it was suggested before Flamer was even dreamt of).....that was all.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Disregarding all the comments to the contrary I believe that it will come down to Falmer or a revamped Withdean with a capacity of approx 12,000 . Provisions would be made to overcome the narrow bridges by directing the crowd from the North Stand and away end out away from those bridges and just the South Stand/ Family area using them.

I hope that it is Falmer.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Get a roof on the south......

:clap2:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
This is tiresome.... she won't say no.... because Sheepcote is not an option.... simple as....

By the way... what will happen if the sun doesn't come up tomorrow......

OR

If everyone woke up with skin the colour of the Scum's football kit would w e all have to commit suicide?

:dunce:

Let's stop fearing the worst... it may never happen.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here