Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Prescott goes...

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
...what then?

He's sailing close to the wind as it is.His regional devolution vote was shouted down and people are calling for his head.

This would clearly give all opposing forces reasons to delay F*lmer yet further,possibly fatally.Should we be worried about 2 Jags career now?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There are only two ways in which 2 Jags will not be Deputy Prime Minister this time next year (three if you count the ultimate get-out clause).

One: He loses his seat at the next General Election and/or Labour loses the next General Election.

Two: He resigns at deputy leader of the Labour Party.

Blair cannot unilaterally sack Prescott because Labour Party rules dictate that the deputy leader of the party (like the leader) must be ELECTED, not appointed. Blair may, however, change the responsibilities of the ODPM, which currently include planning (as well as environment and transport), but these are Prescott's pet projects, and this is unlikely as well.

Number two option, although extremely remote, is more probable than option one as Hull East is a pretty safe Labour seat.

Last edited:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
It's a word i associate with everything that is wrong in the world.We better not name the bloody stadium with that godforsaken word.:censored:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
LO

In the worst case scenario massive swing to Tories not enough to win but sufficient to give Lib Dems the sway. Norman Baker is well respected in the Lib Dems.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
No. The worst case scenario is that the Tories win.

That is highly unlikely but there being a sufficient swing to give the 'I dont really know either way and can't make my mind up ' lib dems the sway is a distinct possibillity.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lib Dems are a ludicrously overpriced 50/1 to win the next General Election. Tories are 9/2 - might as well be 900/2. Know which of those two I'd rather have a small 'saver' bet on.

Labour are an equally ludicrous 1/8 BTW

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Tom Hark said:
Lib Dems are a ludicrously overpriced 50/1 to win the next General Election. Tories are 9/2 - might as well be 900/2. Know which of those two I'd rather have a small 'saver' bet on.

Labour are an equally ludicrous 1/8 BTW

Let's get Gareth Glover's tips on who'll win the election:lolol:

The latest gossip from the rumour mill of Prescott's "friends" is that he is planning to stand down at the ODPM after the inevitable general election win (he will then be given a non-departmental co-ordinating role, and will resign from the government completely when Blair finally calls it a day a couple of years into the third term).

This is irritating because the chances are not high that we will get the report from the inspector in time for the ODPM to deliberate and make the decision before the election. But my view is that whoever came into that job after Prescott would follow the advice of the Labour Party's ODPM advisers who are more than likely to remain the same after the election.

My feeling is that it won't be John Prescott granting us Falmer. Alan Milburn maybe ???

BTW this stuff about Prescott's position being under threat because of the devolution fiasco is bolix. Not a chance of that happening.

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The ODPM was created by Blair to assuage Prescott's passions, though. It's a funny sort of department. Can you not envisage it being split up (as has happened many times already)... perhaps between Defra, Transport, and a bolstered-up "Constitutional Affairs and Local Government" department?

Prescott will only resign himself if he's decided he can't be arsed any more and fancies a nice quiet spell as leader of the Lords.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
prescott's position/responsibilities were created especially for him and therefore if he was to go then a void would be created and this could be dangerous for us as the responsibilities would be spit up to other departments.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Whoever is granting Falmer will do it based upon information put in front of them.... therefore it should matter who is actually giving the decision, rather who is giving them the information on which they are due to make their decision, and what that information is.

I don't think it'll make a great deal of difference unless Fatboy Slim is appointed as the new Deputy Prime Minister....

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
If Prescott had made a judgment on the information put in front of him, he would have said no before now. It's precisely because of the flowers/cards/people talking to him in Japan that he's trying to get it sorted out for us without giving the antis a legal leg to stand on.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Brixtaan said:
...what then?

He's sailing close to the wind as it is.His regional devolution vote was shouted down and people are calling for his head.

This would clearly give all opposing forces reasons to delay F*lmer yet further,possibly fatally.Should we be worried about 2 Jags career now?

sheepcote go for it !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here