Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If pompey fold?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'm not keen myself. Just think of the carnage on here.

- we'll have the spelling and grammar police having a field day trying to 'mark' the posts

- all the polls about who are rivals are will skew towards southampton rather than palace

- there will be loads of threads complaining about songs sung at away games and bemoaning the new 'Play up Brighton' chant

- and the anti gay stuff will just become more vocal when away teams link us to the 'sailor boys'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They would probably start supporting Havant and Waterlooville then when getting near to the FL change the name to Havant and Portsmouth then when they actually make it to the FL drop the Havant. They would make sense as H & W are only about 4 leagues off the FL and it would be quicker than reforming like AFC Wimbledon.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If pompey fans started supporting the albion, they would bring their southampton hate with them, and that would probably build up that rivalry, and would cause a lot of trouble with some of our fanbase who seem to think you can only hate palace and aren't allowed to hate any other team or look forward to any other game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They would probably start supporting Havant and Waterlooville then when getting near to the FL change the name to Havant and Portsmouth then when they actually make it to the FL drop the Havant. They would make sense as H & W are only about 4 leagues off the FL and it would be quicker than reforming like AFC Wimbledon.

Great plan. Would H&W have a say in it?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
pompey fans will never support brighton. they will form a fans club.
Exactly right. If Portsmouth FC go out of business then their fans will support Portsmouth FC. The fact that there will be some new bits of paper at Companies House is irrelevant, they'll still have a club to support.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
If pompey fans started supporting the albion, they would bring their southampton hate with them, and that would probably build up that rivalry, and would cause a lot of trouble with some of our fanbase who seem to think you can only hate palace and aren't allowed to hate any other team or look forward to any other game.

agree. they would bring their thuggery with them, and B&HA would have an even worse reputation, worse than this 'so many cards, very dirty players' thing.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All rubbish. They will just cheat their way to survival as always, weaselling out of their responsibilities in the usual manner.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011

Not necessarily. All the indications are that a Pompey fans' club would join the pyramid at Tier 5 - the rules have changed since the days of AFC Wimbledon starting at the bottom. The FA's Leagues Committee would decide the appropriate level for a club of their size and support - probably Conference level.

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Why do we think Pompey are going out of business ?

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Massive tax bill unpaid and HMRC closing in for the kill, plus the *latest* potential owner exposed as being a fraudster with links to known US criminals.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Yes, Yes, but apart from those little trifles, whats the problem. Its never been a problem up to now.

They appear to have run out of potential buyers prepared to string thing along a little longer. Plus HMRC see them as the ultimate symbol of everything that is wrong with football finance, and will do everything they can to nail them once and for all.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I know it's IF but we all know what's going to happen ... it's going to be a close run thing and they'll be saved at the 11th hour

now Darlington and Kettering on the other hand.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Apparently Pompey have been told by HMRC that they'll be let off their tax debts as long as they rename the club "Southampton B".

Now that's what I call a winding-up order!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It'd cost less than £40m to buy them as a Championship club.

Wouldn't Vilearse Bozo's lot be in the market for that ?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I don't see why not. For those with long memories there was a time when the old Goldstone South stand saw an exodus to Fratton Park.
I never really understand but ti was probably to do with the old hooligan thing in the late 70's. Lots of good lads ended up seeing pompey, although God knows only why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here