Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If painter doesnt get injured - would we still have won?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I suspect Vincelot's versatility hinders his prospects of getting a starting spot as he can cover the back four or two holding midfielder positions in a 4-2-3-1.

If he was a cricketer he would bat at seven and be good for three or four relatively economical overs just above medium pace.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Great question.

Painter is an excellent defender, better then Vincelot by miles. That's not to say I don't rate Vincelot, he's extremely useful and would have walked into many of our sides of years gone by. Painter however has an excellent defensive mind and a good range of passing. Unfortunately his pace isn't great but we need intelligent players on the pitch and he's one of them. If he had pace as well he'd be in the Premiership as far as I'm concerned.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I'd say Painter isn't an excellent defender at this level. Apart from his lack of pace he's been turned inside and out a few too many times already this season as well as getting himslef into some very poor positions that have meant he can't put in a vital saving tackle when needed. If it was all about pace then Taricco wouldn't be challenging for the left back spot.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Great question.

Painter is an excellent defender, better then Vincelot by miles. That's not to say I don't rate Vincelot, he's extremely useful and would have walked into many of our sides of years gone by. Painter however has an excellent defensive mind and a good range of passing. Unfortunately his pace isn't great but we need intelligent players on the pitch and he's one of them. If he had pace as well he'd be in the Premiership as far as I'm concerned.

I think "an excellent defensive mind" is maybe giving Painter too much credit. Tano has an excellent defensive mind, but I would not put Painter in the category. He is a lower level Championship left back in my eyes and it is an area where we will need to improve if we want to establish ourselves as a top team at this level

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I think "an excellent defensive mind" is maybe giving Painter too much credit. Tano has an excellent defensive mind, but I would not put Painter in the category. He is a lower level Championship left back in my eyes and it is an area where we will need to improve if we want to establish ourselves as a top team at this level

Fair point. I agree as both our full backs need improving if we want to look for a near certain top 6 finish. But then I'd say we'd about 6 new players to really stand a bloody good shot at the Prem, and while we'd look for better than Painter he's by no distance the most vital position we need to improve upon. He's certainly our best full back, only behind perhaps Tanno.

Realistically, we need new:
GK, RB, LB, CB, CM, S.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here