Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Mitoma is injured, who will be our Japanese signing before the tour?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
From a publicity perspective, I imagine the Japan tour would be slightly shit if we can't use Mitoma.

Instead of rushing him back I think we should just sign another Japanese player. They're cheap and there should be lots of gems. Lets find all of them.

Here's my candidate: Sota Kawasaki

Nominated for J1 League Young Player of the Year, recently started getting picked in Japanese national team squads (even playing a few unofficial friendlies).
As you can see he is a defensive midfielder with playmaking skills. Only real reason he's still in Japan is because he wanted to finish university, and now when he's graduated he's ready for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From a publicity standpoint, the Japanese will be happy to see him no matter if he isn’t playing. The national team were worried about him playing with an injury.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Doesn't Mitoma slightly transcend football in Japan nowadays? He's got a reported ten year deal with the airline ANA and is a comic book manga hero. Sort of like a living God really. They'll be ecstatic just to see him in the flesh. Perhaps he could go John Terry Full Kit Wanker for the publicity photos

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
From a publicity standpoint, the Japanese will be happy to see him no matter if he isn’t playing. The national team were worried about him playing with an injury.

Doesn't Mitoma slightly transcend football in Japan nowadays? He's got a reported ten year deal with the airline ANA and is a comic book manga hero. Sort of like a living God really. They'll be ecstatic just to see him in the flesh. Perhaps he could go John Terry Full Kit Wanker for the publicity photos
Fair enough.

But surely this is an argument why we need a new Japanese player. Succession planning and all that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fair enough.

But surely this is an argument why we need a new Japanese player. Succession planning and all that.
Not sure. Dare say there was a commercial 'break into the Asian market' aspect as to why we signed Mitoma. But whether through luck or algorithm we seem to have happened upon the Japanese equivalent of their George Best or Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, all rolled into one. You won't have seen how those entire really really sweet Japanese families arrive in droves at the Amex and duly proceed to empty the club shop shelves of all things Mitoma. It really is quite phenominal. He won't be easily replaced

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Not sure. Dare say there was a slightly commercial aspect as to why we signed Mitoma. But whether through luck or algorithm we seem to have happened upon the Japanese equivalent of George Best or Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo. You won't have seen how those really really sweet sweet entire Japanese families arrive in droves at the Amex and duly proceed to empty the club shop shelves of all things Mitoma. It really is quite phenominal. He won't be easily replaced
I don't think there was actually. He was nearly unknown when we signed him. IIRC had not even been called up for the national team yet. Japan is exploding in football now - both senior and youth national teams doing really well and the level of the J League visibly improving. And the market is still really, really cheap and just sitting there waiting for more exploitation. Could easily see us ride the Japan wave like we've done with the Argentina one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure. Dare say there was a commercial aspect as to why we signed Mitoma. But whether through luck or algorithm we seem to have happened upon the Japanese equivalent of their George Best or Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, all rolled into one. You won't have seen how those entire really really sweet Japanese families arrive in droves at the Amex and duly proceed to empty the club shop shelves of all things Mitoma. It really is quite phenominal. He won't be easily replaced
It's unbelievable....................Lower West is mobbed with them every game, even when Mitoma hasn't been playing. Have heard several accounts of people flying over from Japan simply to attend one game

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's unbelievable....................Lower West is mobbed with them every game, even when Mitoma hasn't been playing. Have heard several accounts of people flying over from Japan simply to attend one game
It really is astounding. Japanese equivalent of Beatlemania. He even has the loveable mop top haircut!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
This is an important part but I also think there is a massive misunderstanding of football interest in Japan here. When I was out there, in a pre-Mitoma at Brighton world, I couldn't believe how knowledgeable and engaged Japanese people were not only with the Premier League itself, but wider football as a whole. Everyone I spoke to knew of Brighton (big fans of Solly March for some reason) then, in 2019.

We'd probably get close to selling out just because we are a Premier League side anyway. If you add Mitoma to that mix (we are Japan's most watched Premier League side according to the club) then I think you've got a real money spinner for the club.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Won't it be Nike rubbing their hands. Don't the club make a pretty small margin on merchandise? Or is that just the official kits?
In most cases kit manufacturers (Nike) retain 80-90% of the total resale value of replica kit. There may be a deal in place to launch the new shirt ahead of the tour and for there to be a more even split of the Japanese market between club and Nike. In short, it's super complicated.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is an important part but I also think there is a massive misunderstanding of football interest in Japan here. When I was out there, in a pre-Mitoma at Brighton world, I couldn't believe how knowledgeable and engaged Japanese people were not only with the Premier League itself, but wider football as a whole. Everyone I spoke to knew of Brighton (big fans of Solly March for some reason) then, in 2019.

We'd probably get close to selling out just because we are a Premier League side anyway. If you add Mitoma to that mix (we are Japan's most watched Premier League side according to the club) then I think you've got a real money spinner for the club.
You'd hope so eh? 🤞

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I do think Mitoma is not only very good he has that cool factor and the women love him he’s like Japanese David Beckham. so other Japanese players won’t necessarily have the same draw as Mitoma.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was under the impression he is now fully fit.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
If Mitoma isn't fit the team can just employ the 1970s method of putting your index fingers at the side of your eyes and pulling whilst talking in a comedic Japanese accent, guaranteed PR triumph and merch sold out within hours...

I'll get me coat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here