Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

if mcclown was sacked.....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If this question was asked 7 months ago then curbishly would prob of been very popular.

Have to go English imo , if we have shit managers then tough , we have a shit set of back up strikers but arn't allowed to pick foreigners.

Therefore Big Sam

(Shouldn't of got rid of Hoddle)

Last edited:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Hiddink, Cappello, Mourinho, Wenger, O'Neill or Scolari.

But the Little Englander mob will have their way and ensure its some ill-equipped, under-qualified, clueless Englishman.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
The England Manager's job totally deserves its reputation as a poisoned chalice. I think the job is now virtually impossible with the media scrum that surrounds all aspects of the job, personal and professional, and supporters demanding instant results. It's got to the point where the job has become a hindrance to the success of the team.

I advocate a return to a selection committee. Let them decide on the team and tactics, then hand the plan over to the coach. Sorted. :thumbsup:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
I can't really imagine that a thoughtful, intelligent, tactful and highly gentlemanly soul like Steve Coppell would ever want to venture within a mile of the abusive vitriol and physical threats of violence (morons throwing bricks at Sven's house in London, FFS?) that even moderately successful England managers have to put up with. Why on earth would he?

I could cope with the odd brick thrown at my mansion in Chelsea for £5m a year...

Steve Coppell has the right personality, outlook and awareness. His tactical knowledge can turn an average bunch of players into match-winners (the opposite of what we have now!)

Sam Allardyce is great at club level, but I wonder about his ability to get his direction as England manager. Organisational skills are there, and he can design an approach to play that can be very effective. His teams fold when up against it defensively though.
Personality-wise, a bit like Terry Venables - a bit of a wide-boy thing happening there.

O'Neill? Not English - but right sort of fellow. However, after his recent personal crisis' I'd suggest right now is slightly wrong timing for him. I'm sure Villa supporters are more optimistic with him in charge, and I can't see him being happy to be languishing in the lower half of the division. Again, def. shrewd club man.

For me, it would really be between those three.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England can offer top dollar and so should be able to attract the best. Clearly, Mourinho, Benitez and Wenger are the best available, so if I was the FA I wouldn't f*** about - I'd sack McClown now, appoint El Tel as Temporary Head Coach and seek to make a full-time appointment at the end of this season.

People say the England job is a poisoned chalice, but the same can be said of any top job where the coach under-performs - just look at how many top managers have tried and failed at Real Madrid recently, even Capello is struggling, ditto Van Gaal at Barca before him.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
¤Dã?n¥ §êãGüLL¤ said:
We should go for Scolari again. If not him, then Hiddink or Coppell. O'Neill I'm not so sure about now.

And please please please GOD not Allardyce. Anyone but him.

Totally agree about Allardyce. I'd probably go for Hiddink over Big Phil, although that may be a personal thing against Scolari who I consider to be a bit of an @rsehole.

Chesney Christ said:
Totally agree about Allardyce. I'd probably go for Hiddink over Big Phil, although that may be a personal thing against Scolari who I consider to be a bit of an @rsehole.

You've also got to take into account some of these fer'ners grasp of English language! Bandying names about should also be tempered by a thought about their effectiveness with getting the points across in English, and their adaptability to English football.

Unless we are now able to say that football is all the same regardless of nationality or country it's played in (which might be an effect of foreign influxes, but even those players express their different outlook on the sport in our league)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
Hiddink.

Should have been him in the summer, but the FA put all their efforts in getting Scholari, when that went wrong Hiddink had signed a deal with Russia, they FA panicked and we got lumbered with McLaren.

We are still paying Sven....
Hiddink won't leave Russia until 2008. I'd get Leo Beenhakker in until then, then get Hiddink in after the Euros.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I wonder if Johan Cruyff can be persuaded out of retirement? He's a very astute businessman, so if the FA were to offer a big enough pile of cash...

Pavilionaire said:
England can offer top dollar and so should be able to attract the best. Clearly, Mourinho, Benitez and Wenger are the best available, so if I was the FA I wouldn't f*** about - I'd sack McClown now, appoint El Tel as Temporary Head Coach and seek to make a full-time appointment at the end of this season.

People say the England job is a poisoned chalice, but the same can be said of any top job where the coach under-performs - just look at how many top managers have tried and failed at Real Madrid recently, even Capello is struggling, ditto Van Gaal at Barca before him.

The best in the Premiership perhaps. But there are decent managers in Spain, Italy and Germany we also need to consider.

Man of Harveys said:
I can't really imagine that a thoughtful, intelligent, tactful and highly gentlemanly soul like Steve Coppell would ever want to venture within a mile of the abusive vitriol and physical threats of violence (morons throwing bricks at Sven's house in London, FFS?) that even moderately successful England managers have to put up with. Why on earth would he?

Plus all those summer tournaments would really put the mockers on his excursions to ladyboy central.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here