Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If kayal got injured.............

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You could start with Crofts/Ince or JFC but also play Rosenior on the right - you could then change to a sort of 4-3-3 if getting overrun, with Lua Lua roaming but keeping Hemed and Baldock together in the middle. We need to keep the 2 up front somehow as that is working well. But King Kayal is indestructible, so we do not need to worry really...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I actually think we would be ****ed.

Kayal and Stephens partnership in the middle is a large part of why we are doing so well. You can only play our formation of you have two fantastic midfielders. They really have to work hard and do their job well. They also have to use the ball wisely.

Ince is okay but doesn't do the same job, the old Crofts could probably replace Stephens but is he going to be as good after so long out? I doubt it.

So wrap him up on cotton wool in between games.

Fortunately he appears to be less injury prone than others so hopefully we can get away with it.

My greater concern is that other teams will start to do what Bruce did after 30 minutes and pack the midfield. That was largely why we struggled for that part of the game and why we had to change the formation. I can see that happening more and more as the season progresses.

Well thats putting it slightly over the top..but if you are going to say that about Kayal then i think the same should be said about Stephens ..the 2 of them have formed an excellent partnership.
We have players to fill the gap even if they aren't up to that standard ..they've been mentioned ..are they as good no..but they'd still do a job

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One swallow doesn't make a summer.
He's only played 5 minutes of the league campaign so far, and in it he's played a killer ball that won us the game. And he makes attacking passes for England U21, which suggests to me, that he's not only capable of playing sideways/backwards.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but there is absolutely no way whatsoever that Crofts could 'slot in' to Kayal's position, they are completely different players, the only similarity is that they play for Brighton, to replace Kayal's energy and ability with a limited player like Crofts would be painful.

Couldn't agree more.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He's only played 5 minutes of the league campaign so far, and in it he's played a killer ball that won us the game. And he makes attacking passes for England U21, which suggests to me, that he's not only capable of playing sideways/backwards.

Does he play in a 442 for the u21 or in a 3 in midfield?? Personally think he would be suited to a 3 in midfield....

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
If it was a short term injury we could use a different formation of try one of the others and there is options in crofts ince holla and JFC. I think we would cope
My fear would be long term. If something happened to him which meant anything longer than 6 weeks we would undoubtably suffer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does he play in a 442 for the u21 or in a 3 in midfield?? Personally think he would be suited to a 3 in midfield....
I don't know what formation the U21 play but I doubt it's 442. I only know that when I've read about JFC he's been creative for them, while we had a much slower build up under Poyet and Garcia. JFC will certainly have had more practice in 3 / 5 man midfields, but I've no reason to think he couldn't adapt to central role in 442.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The little maestro's ability to find a yard of space will be difficult to replace. Crofts could come in and breathe heavily and motor around like a randy camel, with Stephens as our only central creative force, so i think we'd get it out with so much quicker for Bruno to thread something through for Murphy or for Lua Lua and Bong to raid more feverishly.Crofts would perhaps score a couple and be of benefit in that way, but we'd as a team be slower-witted.
Rosenior in the middle is an interesting idea, but i'd go instead with those already more trained for the role in JFC, Ince or Holla.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If still a free agent I would look at a short term deal for Kevin Nolan in fact I would give him a 1 year contract now ideal cover for Stephens or Kayal if injured or suspended which looks very likely.

Do you have any stats for killer passes he has made for the U21's ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here