Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If it is Dowie can we put this palace nonsence to one side?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
If it is Dowie I dont suppose there would be any possibility that for once in the history of BHAFC we as supporters would truly get behind a manager (or player for that matter) who has a palace connection ?

Probably not, but aren't we holding the club back when every half decent manager is made to feel unwelcome due to his connection with a club who quite frankly most of the critics have never even seen us play against, or know in the first place why the rivallry came into being in the first place ?

Lets hope (if it is Dowie) that we feel we can accept him as a Manager and a person and not blow it because of pettiness and illinformed bollocks.
At the end of the day if a manager feels welcome and backed by the supporters it makes his job 10 times easier

Now if he had played for Reading, that would be a different matter..........................!!!!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Well said.

One I'd never considered. Only problem: We'd be poaching another clubs manager in mid-season. Irrespective of crap about "offical approaches" etc being put about by the plastic fan's of the Polish second hand car dealers toy, IT IS poaching IMO.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I do hope we go about approaching him in the right manner, or after Oldham go bust.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
what is happening ,i've hears theyy will fold on friday unless someone comes in with a bid for them , is this true ?

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Rougvie said:
If it is Dowie I dont suppose there would be any possibility that for once in the history of BHAFC we as supporters would truly get behind a manager (or player for that matter) who has a palace connection ?

Probably not, but aren't we holding the club back when every half decent manager is made to feel unwelcome due to his connection with a club who quite frankly most of the critics have never even seen us play against, or know in the first place why the rivallry came into being in the first place ?

Lets hope (if it is Dowie) that we feel we can accept him as a Manager and a person and not blow it because of pettiness and illinformed bollocks.
At the end of the day if a manager feels welcome and backed by the supporters it makes his job 10 times easier

Now if he had played for Reading, that would be a different matter..........................!!!!

So you think Coppell is leaving because he got a bit of stick?!?! Get a grip.....

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Re: Re: If it is Dowie can we put this palace nonsence to one side?

ChutneyStirrer said:
So you think Coppell is leaving because he got a bit of stick?!?! Get a grip.....

Did I say that ?
I think you should read it again.
Unity is the key to sucsess.
Time for you to get a grip

Last edited:

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Rougvie said:
....aren't we holding the club back when every half decent manager is made to feel unwelcome due to his connection with a club who quite frankly most of the critics have never even seen us play against, or know in the first place why the rivallry came into being in the first place ?

I read it again and I still cannot work out what this means other than Coppell's Palace connection and the supporters reaction to it had some sway over recent events..... please enlighten me.

Also, the bit about critics not knowing where the rivallry came from - are you talking about yourself?? If so, then why not say that?? If you do know then you should know that the Palace rivallry is deep seated and a tradition that should be encouraged.

Why do you think so many wanted to go to Selhurst?? Is it maybe because through all the darkest-of-dark days we have endured in the recent past there has always been the beacon of a game against the old rivals to urge everybody on. It is something that nobody - not thieving chairmen, errant managers or sulking players - can ever take away from us.

If the upshot of this is an Albion player or manager with Palace connections gets a bit of stick then so-be-it. If a manager or player comes here and can't take a bit of banter then what are they doing here?!?! Or in football at all.......

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Please don't lecture me on what I do and dont know about the club's tradition as someone who grew up, and early years shaped on the terraces of the Goldstone I feel I am entitled to comment.
I dont like palace as much as the next man and like my old man and grandad before me, but the pure hate extolled by a certain section of the support towards ex CP individuals is childish and gets the club absolutely nowhere.
Sorry, its called free speech and all that !
I am just of the OPINION that when an ex palace individual comes to our club he should be treated with the same RESPECT as anyone else.
Already we has seen numerous 'No way Dowie f***ing Palace scum' etc etc etc
Welcome to Brighton !!
'Banter' is one thing, pure hate is something entirely different.

Last edited:

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Rougvie said:
...the pure hate extolled by a certain section of the support towards ex CP individuals is childish and gets the club absolutely nowhere.

Apologies.... wasn't meant to be a lecture.

If this is true then you are correct, but I haven't encountered it being aimed at Brighton players/management.

However, I always find it highly amusing when some poor opposition player gets the 'Palace Reject' treatment when he comes on although he only played one game as sub for them.....

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
At the end of the day we are all entitled to our own opinion !

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rougvie, Coppell WAS Mr. Palace. It's not suprising he took some stick in the early days, but I don't think it was excessive.

And Peter Taylor has more Palace credentials than Dowie and he didn't get stick for being ex-Palace.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Rougvie said:

NO! Go f*** yourself! Brighton fans HATE Palarse! That is how it must be! No chance of forgeting the fights of the '70s & '80s! They are cowardly scum!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Re: Re: If it is Dowie can we put this palace nonsence to one side?

Mullers said:
NO! Go f*** yourself! Brighton fans HATE Palarse! That is how it must be! No chance of forgeting the fights of the '70s & '80s! They are cowardly scum!

Your hard.
I do remember the fights, and I also remember the worse fighting when we played Soton (forget the year) in the 70's.
If all you are concerned about is fighting I needn't bother justifing anything to you !

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Re: Re: Re: If it is Dowie can we put this palace nonsence to one side?

Rougvie said:
Your hard.
I do remember the fights, and I also remember the worse fighting when we played Soton (forget the year) in the 70's.
If all you are concerned about is fighting I needn't bother justifing anything to you !

Ha! You cannot have been there if you think the fighting at southampton was bad! What about Palarse, Spurs, Chelsea, Manure and Arsenal!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Sorry I went to the games to follow BHAFC not to to monitor levels of fighting for future reference.
Sad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here