Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Harry goes down for fraud

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Harry put together a very watchable Spurs team last season, and that's what we'd hope for if he ever manages England. But some of Portsmouth's performances were dire [I know, I was forced to watch way too many of them by cruel employers], and as well as Crouch, Defoe, James and Johnson there were plenty of Harry's usual expensive foreigners, all on eye-wateringly high wages that ended up bankrupting the club: Lassana Diarra, Sulley Muntari, Hermann Hreidarsson, Sylvain Distin and of course John Utaka.

The comparison with El Tel is a good one - both managers with the gift of the gab and a history of managing clubs that later find themselves in financial difficulty (Palace and, er, Portsmouth in Venables' case). And of course Venables' contract as England head coach was not extended after Euro '96 because the FA were concerned about his upcoming court case with Alan Sugar...

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Fine, but he bought well didn't he, with a good English spine to the team. For England he could choose from hundred's of English players available for nothing.

Anyway, there isn't a single manager in the top flight today who gets success without buying loads of players or inheriting an already successful team, so its a pointless argument

But he wouldn't, he'd be forced, like all the England managers are into picking the same squad of 17 from the big name clubs by the media, many of whom simply do not work in the same team, then be expected in an incredibly short amount of time to turn them into an unbeatable unit. People are going to be let down hard if he ever does (god forbid) get the job. I seriously do not think there is anyone better out there right now than Capello for us.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
whoever manages england will within two years be described as being shit because our bunch of overpaid players who are not actually that good cock up in another tournament - it's a vicious circle that has happened to every single person to have taken the job

personally, i hope redknapp goes down for a very, very long time if only because it means i wont have to hear how a 60 man squad has again been decimated to "the bare bones". christ knows how he'd cope with the amount of mystery injuries and withdrawals england suffer should the fa completely lose their minds and appoint him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here