Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Gus was to leave tomorrow who would you like to see in his place?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I like Paul Ince he is a good leader also Martinez once he gets the sack from Wigan or Di Matteo who is another "play good football" minded manager

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A few years ago I'd have said Warnock but I think he's just about coming to the end of his career now - QPR will be his final flurry.
I genuinely can't understand why any Brighton fan wouldn't want Warnock though - he's achieved success throughout his career, his sides generally aren't hoof-it merchants and he's said loads of nice things about Brighton over the years.

It's a mark of how far we've come that none of the people in this thread (well, apart from Mourinho and Wenger) are seen as really outlandish choices. I can easily see the likes of Martinez and Di Matteo coming here. Chris Hughton wouldn't be impossible either. I think that when Gus does go, we're going to have a fair choice of managers.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
A few years ago I'd have said Warnock but I think he's just about coming to the end of his career now - QPR will be his final flurry.
I genuinely can't understand why any Brighton fan wouldn't want Warnock though - he's achieved success throughout his career, his sides generally aren't hoof-it merchants and he's said loads of nice things about Brighton over the years.

Because he is a git and his teams tend to be a reflection of him. He is the last person I would want to see in charge.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Because he is a git and his teams tend to be a reflection of him. He is the last person I would want to see in charge.

Yes, but why? His QPR team is playing fantastic football and pissing the league and, as I said, he's never slagged off Brighton and has been very supportive over the years. I don't understand why that makes him a git.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Warnock probably has the best record of any manager in the Championships as regards achievements promotions etc, must admit I havent checked this out, it is just as it appears.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Mick McCarthy is an expert at getting clubs promoted from the championship, and he is due the chop in a few weeks... (we would just have to sack him as soon as we got to the Premier League!).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
On a serious note, I would love one of Zola, Martinez or Di Matteo. I would, however, prefer Poyet, Tanno and Charlie.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This little shrinking violet - the legend that is Tomas Repka..

Can you just IMAGINE his reaction at a poor refereeing decision, or a bad tackle on one of his players?

tomas-repka.jpg

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes, but why? His QPR team is playing fantastic football and pissing the league and, as I said, he's never slagged off Brighton and has been very supportive over the years. I don't understand why that makes him a git.

That does not make him a git. I am surprised the way he has handled himself (and Tarrbat(sp)) at QPR. But I look on him as someone who prefers muscle to guile, dirty play to skill, and self-righteous anger to thoughtful analysis. However I am sure he loves his mum.

Not one for the Albion.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think the days of 'getting what's available' are over for Brighton. Everybody - including the Chairman - has seen what an influential, respected, FOOTBALL playing Manager has brought to the club. This is the sort of person we'll be looking for in the future; not another Gus Poyet [that'll never happen] but one with the same ethos.

With a new stadium/training facilities/academy, the prospect of being in charge will be very attractive; it will be the club calling the shots, not vice-versa.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Luis Enrique Martínez García soon to be ex Barcelona B Manager. The man is cool and imagine the contacts from Barca and the way he would get the team to play (i.e. the Barca way) would be a follow on from what we do now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here