Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am glad.
It wouldn't have made any sense for Potter either.
Currently he's considered a serious contender for both the Man Utd and England jobs.
If he came back here, the opportunity is gone first of all because he's come here. But if it went badly, that's the Utd and England jobs gone for good. His reputation would be undoubtedly trashed. You wouldn't be able to blame the crazy wacky owners at Brighton like you can do with Chelsea.
We clearly know he's an ambitious and calculating man. I feel as though he must've considered all of that when coming to his decision.

Also, he's a prat.
Is he really though ? Or is this just someone needing to meet the 5pm deadline in the news room ?

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Is he really though ? Or is this just someone needing to meet the 5pm deadline in the news room ?
Surely he’s better suited to the England job than he was coming back to Brighton - I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a stalking horse used to divert media (and competing Club’s) attention away from our real targets tbh

Is there anyone really more suited than Potter to replace Southgate?

(I’ve had him pegged for that when he was at Brighton - although back then I thought he would start with the U‘s before stepping into the first team role)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Surely he’s better suited to the England job than he was coming back to Brighton - I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a stalking horse used to divert media (and competing Club’s) attention away from our real targets tbh

Is there anyone really more suited than Potter to replace Southgate?

The answer to that surely depends on what sort of manager the FA want next. If they want someone who have a proven track record of working with high profile players and turning them into trophy winners than I'd argue Potter isn't hugely suited to the role. If they want someone English, that's a different question.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The answer to that surely depends on what sort of manager the FA want next. If they want someone who have a proven track record of working with high profile players and turning them into trophy winners than I'd argue Potter isn't hugely suited to the role. If they want someone English, that's a different question.
There’s a lot of ducks still bobbing around

England may not be available unless EtH moves …

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
I still see England as being available. I think Southgate will go no matter what after the Euros. He's acting like a man with nothing to lose again having been totally safety first in the middle of his tenure.
What if he wins, unlikely as that is?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I still see England as being available. I think Southgate will go no matter what after the Euros. He's acting like a man with nothing to lose again having been totally safety first in the middle of his tenure.
I was thinking the same earlier today.

He has been far more ruthless with his final squad selection than I thought he would be. That leads me to believe he won't be there to face the players he has dumped at the 1st session after the Euros.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What if he wins, unlikely as that is?
If he wins, out on a high. If not, time to let someone else have a crack with this excellent squad (at least in the attacker and right back positions).

Just my opinion though, I'm certainly not Southgate ITK!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
F**king hell, did you mock that up yourself?

Ed Aarons - Palace through and through. Mentions two other candidates, Cooper and the Malmo fella and then gets Ayari, of all players, to channel his inner Swansman.

He should have just posted a link to this thread instead.
I've had a wry smile every time I look at the Albion page on the Guardian's site. Less than an hour after Palace Aarons's cobbled together selection of rumours was uploaded, the Telegraph reported the Hurzeler connection. Since then The Indpendent, The BBC, Sky, The Mail, The Sun, The NY Times, Romano, Ornstein etc. etc. have all written about the link and the Guardian has had nothing. Their last story mentioning us remains that nonsense.

Fiskmås

I do rate Potter as a coach, but I'm honestly very surprised that he's even in the discussion for the England job (well, who knows if he actually is, but a lot of people seem to assume so).

I can't think of many coaches' playing styles less suitable for a team that only has a few gatherings per year. If football had playbooks the same way American football does, Potter's would be quite the tome. Working day in and day out with the same group of players barely seems enough for him to get his message across.

Not to mention that successful national teams tend to stick to the same footballing philosophy throughout the senior and youth levels. There's a reason so many stick to a simple 4-4-2, if you've gotten capped at a younger level you can slot right into the senior team without much practice and know more or less what's expected of you. So Potterball wouldn't only have to be implemented in one team, but in all of them, with a bunch of youth coaches trying to mimic his tactics over a number of years. Good luck with that one.

I expect it would end up quite the disaster. A few years of players looking lost on the pitch before he's out the door and everything has to be undone, across all age groups.

The option of course being that he simplifies his game and tones down the flexibility that is his trademark – but why then choose him to begin with?

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Leicester have identified Graham Potter as their first-choice target to replace Enzo Maresca as manager but are also considering other candidates including Steve Cooper. Potter has been out of work since he was sacked by Chelsea in April 2023 after less than seven months.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I've had a wry smile every time I look at the Albion page on the Guardian's site. Less than an hour after Palace Aarons's cobbled together selection of rumours was uploaded, the Telegraph reported the Hurzeler connection. Since then The Indpendent, The BBC, Sky, The Mail, The Sun, The NY Times, Romano, Ornstein etc. etc. have all written about the link and the Guardian has had nothing. Their last story mentioning us remains that nonsense.
To your point, the Guardian article I've shared above linking Potter to Leicester fails to clearly state that we are no longer looking at Potter or that we've been widely linked to Hurzeler.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I'm not sure anyone will fancy the Leicester job if the rumoured player sales and points deductions come to fruition. It could be a long season for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here