Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To the same level of as having “emergency dental surgery” and bumping into a load of Germans who happen to run a. Football club untrustworthy?
Mental how many were quite happy for a manger to disrespect our club in so many ways in such a short space of time

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The elephant in the room is, of course, McKenna.

The Naylor article last week wasn't really so much about the 'terrible shouting' at Bournemouth, but to paint a picture of PBOBE sat serenely between two computers, one containing the world's best back up plan, and of McKenna slipping effortlessly into the Head Coach's office.

Since we either lowballed that or failed to convince him we have more potential than Ipswich it's on to the next. Is the next name at the top of the list on computer 2 really Graham Potter?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
The Albion is a different club to the one GPott left and Chelsea plundered. The Italian blew away the inferiority complex. We WERE one of the four best teams in this country when all parts were functioning. It all got massively overheated because DeZerbi is a firework personality. We took off, soared and exploded.

Poyet/RDZ or Chris/Gpott/Sami?
Through his endless talk about our lack of ambitions? Or through repeatedly telling everyone in press conferences how small we are "as a club, as a team"? Or what exactly removed this inferiority complex and after dozens and dozens of posts made by the former managers insecure groupies about our IMPENDING DOOM and "what we look like" if we sign this or that manager... is the inferiority complex really gone?

The attitude of Roberto De Zerbi and his groupies - that Roberto is great and that the club isn't - has done f*** all to remove any inferiority complex - it has only removed reasonable perspectives and replaced them with the idea that the accomplishments of this club are down to the manager, working against his own plucky little shit club and the owner that refuses demolish the entire club model to please him.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The attitude of Roberto De Zerbi and his groupies - that Roberto is great and that the club isn't - has done f*** all to remove any inferiority complex - it has only removed reasonable perspectives and replaced them with the idea that the accomplishments of this club are down to the manager, working against his own plucky little shit club and the owner that refuses demolish the entire club model to please him.
I think you've made this last bit up in your head.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Its evident from this discussion, as i've already said that this would be a damaging move for the club. So it'll never happen. If you want him back, its time to suck it up and move on. Its been two years already.

I am not so naive as to believe that Potter's proponents will however. I am already looking forward to our incoming manager (whomever it may be) leaving and having to listen to this dross from the same crowd all over again. What Halcyon days.

Kill me.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The elephant in the room is, of course, McKenna.

The Naylor article last week wasn't really so much about the 'terrible shouting' at Bournemouth, but to paint a picture of PBOBE sat serenely between two computers, one containing the world's best back up plan, and of McKenna slipping effortlessly into the Head Coach's office.

Since we either lowballed that or failed to convince him we have more potential than Ipswich it's on to the next. Is the next name at the top of the list on computer 2 really Graham Potter?

Perhaps we turned down McKenna , not appreciating his salary demands or perhaps dismayed at his failure to commit during the unseemly week where he was on everyones shortlist- not sure its a reflection as some are arguing on Albion's "failure" to find a coach or as many put it a failure of "the much vaunted succession plan" .

"Considering" Potter is also hardly a full throttled commitment or means he's "no.2" - its just sensible given he's available - but as the club are aware and the article makes clear it hardly comes without baggage. It certainly doesn't give much more away as to where Potter sits in terms of their potential coaches. Sounds doubtful to me, given the reporting which makes this thread and the rest of them something we can quickly file away for posterity.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Potter may not be the most exciting option out there but I doubt if he'd get us relegated. And that is the first priority, especially if we lose Pascal over the summer.
We simply can't lose pascal this summer. It's frustrating that he is making out like it's his decision in the press, he's under contract, we are way too nice as a club.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Potter may not be the most exciting option out there but I doubt if he'd get us relegated. And that is the first priority, especially if we lose Pascal over the summer.
If he leaves surely there is a third laptop on Barbers desk containing a ready made list of Pascal replacements.
The shit people believe :lolol:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd rather we didn't get Potter back because that guarantees another 6 months of this shit. "Told you he was a wanker" "Told you he was brilliant" and repeat ad infinitum. I'd rather someone came in we got behind from the start. It's pretty clear that is not Potter.

The thing is the last 14 games of Potters reign were brilliant. Only the 2 losses - one against Man city away - and we swept aside Arsenal, Man united (twice) and Spurs along the way. We were free scoring too. 3 past Wolves, 4 past Man Utd and 5 past Leicester albeit with the ghost of Graeme Smith in goal. That made his departure all the more frustrating because it had finally clicked after immense periods of frustration that preceded it.

When RDZ took over we were already a free scoring team. I think 90% of what we achieved that season was already there. RDZ built on that but the foundation was without doubt there. For a variety of reasons whoever takes over next won't have such a solid base to build on. From Apr-22 to Jan-24 I thought we could beat anyone. It's a great period of time to.support the Albion for which I am grateful to the pair of them.
Exactly this, and De Zerbi was also absolutely full of praise for Potter when he took over. In fact he mentioned potter regularly in interviews over the first few months he was in charge:

“I’m lucky to be the coach of Brighton and these players. I have to say thanks to Graham Potter because I found a very big and strong team. Now I am trying to give my ideas [to the club],”

'I want to say thanks to Graham Potter. I have a team with a very good attitude and mentality".

"I believe that today Potter deserves some credit because he has left to me a great team. I have tried not to make any damage. Of course, adding my ideas on top. If you ask me how I can improve the performances of the team we have to play much more with the ball. I am sure we can do it in the Premier League. Of course, it is a very complicated league,"

“Graham Potter did a very good and very big job here and I have to say thanks for this team".

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I think you've made this last bit up in your head.
Nah.
You can find a decent list of people making things up in their head, such as "we're really good and playing fantastic football in 2023/24", here - http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/threads/how-many-more-points-will-we-get.407038 - as well as here - http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/thre...-chance-of-playing-in-europe-next-year.406891, http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/threads/the-run-in-europe.406950, and http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/threads/is-europe-off-the-cards-now.407297.

Crowded with people living in some alternative reality. First thread is about how many points we were going to take from a schedule in which we were playing 7 of the big 8 after FIVE months of bottom five-form and scoring once or twice after the last month. Imagine how incredibly far from reality you have to be to say "I predict us to take 15+ points from these games".

At approximately the same time, some fifty members or something expressed a belief in that the five-month-bottom-five team that couldnt score or prevent anyone from scoring, would end up in European qualification spot two months later.

ALL of it based entirely on mytology.

Meanwhile, those of us who said "Tony might not like what Roberto is saying", "we're not umm all that exciting right now" or "Roberto will be sacked or leave by 'mutual consent' at the end of the season" were met with ridicule and questions of our sanity.

Question is how long people are going to cling on to the myth that we weren't shit from October to May this season and accept that neither the results, the football or the attitude was at the level required from the most expensive squad assembled in the clubs history. And going to Amsterdam to beat Ajax hoovering just over the relegation zone in Eredivisie was hopefully and probably a magic moment for any fan going there, but its not keeping someone in the job.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

“I’m lucky to be the coach of Brighton and these players. I have to say thanks to
Graham Potter because I found a very big and strong team. Now I am trying to give my ideas [to the club],”

'I want to say thanks to Graham Potter. I have a team with a very good attitude and mentality".

"I believe that today Potter deserves some credit because he has left to me a great team. I have tried not to make any damage. Of course, adding my ideas on top. If you ask me how I can improve the performances of the team we have to play much more with the
ball. I am sure we can do it in the Premier League. Of course, it is a very complicated league,"

“Graham Potter did a very good and very big job here and I have to say thanks for this team".

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Is that not a bit of a sad state of affairs, that at the end of the season, we thought with everyone fit we could give Europa another go, and we're now discussing relegation. I have no doubt if we kept RDZ, I think Gross stays on another year, without him, I can't see it.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Nah.
You can find a decent list of people making things up in their head, such as "we're really good and playing fantastic football in 2023/24", here - http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/threads/how-many-more-points-will-we-get.407038 - as well as here - http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/thre...-chance-of-playing-in-europe-next-year.406891, http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/threads/the-run-in-europe.406950, and http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/threads/is-europe-off-the-cards-now.407297.

Crowded with people living in some alternative reality. First thread is about how many points we were going to take from a schedule in which we were playing 7 of the big 8 after FIVE months of bottom five-form and scoring once or twice after the last month. Imagine how incredibly far from reality you have to be to say "I predict us to take 15+ points from these games".

At approximately the same time, some fifty members or something expressed a belief in that the five-month-bottom-five team that couldnt score or prevent anyone from scoring, would end up in European qualification spot two months later.

Meanwhile, those of us who said "Tony might not like what Roberto is saying", "we're not umm all that exciting right now" or "Roberto will be sacked or leave by 'mutual consent' at the end of the season" were met with ridicule and questions of our sanity.

Question is how long people are going to cling on to the myth that we weren't shit from October to May this season and accept that neither the results, the football or the attitude was at the level required from the most expensive squad assembled in the clubs history. And going to Amsterdam to beat Ajax hoovering just over the relegation zone in Eredivisie was hopefully and probably a magic moment for any fan going there, but its not keeping someone in the job.
This has now edged into the deranged, and for that reason, I am out. At no point is anyone saying that the achievements are solely down to RDZ.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
According to this he's waiting for England and Man Utd anyway. Despite all the gnashing of teeth on here, we may just have to accept that, even if we wanted him back, since he got Chelsea to as high as 11th in the table, he's now managing at that mythical 'higher level'* that all of our former players dreamed of competing at, whilst slumming it at Brighton:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...s/graham-potter-aiming-high-leicester-9319188

* - I'm not sure, but I think it means 'teams in the same league as us, who pay people we already made millionaires at even more obscene levels.'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nah.

What about beating Marseille at home? AEK away? Palace 4-1? Actually beating Potter's nemesis Sheffield United twice away, racking up 10 goals? Beating Champions League qualifiers Villa for the first time in the Premier League?

We can all pick stuff that aligns to an agenda.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Through his endless talk about our lack of ambitions? Or through repeatedly telling everyone in press conferences how small we are "as a club, as a team"? Or what exactly removed this inferiority complex and after dozens and dozens of posts made by the former managers insecure groupies about our IMPENDING DOOM and "what we look like" if we sign this or that manager... is the inferiority complex really gone?

Nah. For 12 months under RDZ we completely moved the needle. The result at Chelsea last season, when 5-1 wouldn’t have flattered us, was utterly sublime. I was a huge GPott fan, but he could and would not have lit a fire like The Italian did - it’s not his style. But RDZ did lose it and it started at Rome when he got into a dick-swinging contest with his best mate when a backs-to-the-wall (classical Italian) defensive performance was required. The reason GPott may be on the list is that he is a measured coach, with huge talent - but he does not have anything like DeZerbi’s charisma. His experience(s) at Chelsea will hopefully make him a more effective operator wherever he ends up be that back at Brighton or somewhere else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here