Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Graham Potter is re-appointed...

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Harsh on Andi, who by some accounts got treated quite harshly by Potter.
It's also harsh on March, who i recall being pretty good at left wing back under Potter. But he wasn't delivering better numbers of assists under even Hughton, never mind RDZ.

Zeqiri probably a better example of an attacker wasted a wing back though...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How bloody depressing. If this really is the case I will be f***ing fuming. And I will be asking for him to f*** off, first game back. This is not what we are about. Taking back a manager who said and did so many things which are completely unacceptable, is weak and will take us back. This is not progressive, it is recessive. Club being tight has f***ed us. I feel a relegation scrap coming on at this rate. There will be 0 unity.
A recessive gene perhaps?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
It's also harsh on March, who i recall being pretty good at left wing back under Potter. But he wasn't delivering better numbers of assists under even Hughton, never mind RDZ.

Zeqiri probably a better example of an attacker wasted a wing back though...
Don’t quite understand the amount of digs at our best ever manager who got us European football, who left amicably, and arguably gave us our most exciting games and seasons of our lives.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I am not going to argue with all these points because I know you'll argue the toss until 4am if you have to.

But I pay good money to watch Brighton home and away. I'm not coming home £200 worse off from a trip up North watching us get beat saying "never mind we lost, because we won on metrics and that's what Tony cares about".

And I'd prefer a manager who didn't make Solly March look like Andi Zeqiri either.

Solly was our best player at the start of the 20/21 season under Potter, playing left wingback. But then he got seriously injured.

In Potters first two season Solly was repeatedly injured, missed 32 games with 7 different injuries.

Potter's football can be ponderous, unproductive and in effective in front of goal, but it's nonsense to criticise him for his handling Solly March.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There’s nothing in the athletic article to suggest Potter is the Albion target, or being lined up. It’s just a very balanced piece just outlining the pros and cons of a return. All it confirms - is that they’ve “considered” it. Multiple outlets had also confirmed that in last week or so. You’d be surprised if they hadn’t.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
They were/are…… but the rest of them?
If we look at the others..

Sanchez, White, Lamptey, Mac Allister and Veltman made their first full seasons as PL players. They did fine, but they were certainly unpolished (Veltman aside).

Tariq Lamptey broke down a month into the season and came back a few times before he had to sit the season out. 11 games in total. Solly March tore his ACL halfway into the season. Neither Lallana or Welbeck could start more than half of the games.

Trossard still drifted in and out of games.

The only real stability we could rely on was Dunk, Webster, Veltman, Burn (imo), Bissouma and Gross. And thats certainly a good core, but thin and (as we saw) not bound to score a lot of goals.

A lot of that was solved when Trossard and Alexis eventually grew into reliable key players, which slowly improved our attacking capacity. When Caicedo had learnt a thing or two in the rough Belgian reality, his left foot (we didn't have one bar Burn/March) and defensive capacity allowed Alexis to dictate play. Thats how it clicked.

The next manager will hopefully be one who can calmly and confidently oversee the organic growth we're supposed to be doing next season.
Like in the good old Potter days.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Apart from the fact that Solly March himself said he found playing under Potter difficult to build any confidence due to all the chopping and changing.

I'd like to see that quote.

Let's not forget De Zerbi was the king of tinkering.

Screenshot_20240602-231503.png

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Solly was our best player at the start of the 20/21 season under Potter, playing left wingback. But then he got seriously injured.

In Potters first two season Solly was repeatedly injured, missed 32 games with 7 different injuries.

Potter's football can be ponderous, unproductive and in effective in front of goal, but it's nonsense to criticise him for his handling Solly March.
I think this has been done before on here, there is NO DOUBT that RDZ improved March, stats show it, anecdotally shows it, even with the naked eye it shows it, let’s not retread that path. One of RDZ‘s biggest achievements was revitalising Solly March, let’s not rewrite history.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Naylor article feels like a softener as to what’s coming. If this is what TB and his direct team think is the right thing to do, then so be it.
Those in the ‘no’ camp will have to get used to it being what it is….
Who is being “softened up” ? It’s just a sensible analysis of the impact a return would have. Doesn’t shy away from arguing that a chunk of the fanbase would be irked and why. Really is being overthought…

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I am not going to argue with all these points because I know you'll argue the toss until 4am if you have to.

But I pay good money to watch Brighton home and away. I'm not coming home £200 worse off from a trip up North watching us get beat saying "never mind we lost, because we won on metrics and that's what Tony cares about".

And I'd prefer a manager who didn't make Solly March look like Andi Zeqiri either.
The Solly March who was rumoured to go to Manchester United when he played for Potter? This guy? This guy working his arse off for us for seasons?

Fair enough admitting you pay £200 to watch a scoreboard. Should have remembered that.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If we look at the others..

Sanchez, White, Lamptey, Mac Allister and Veltman made their first full seasons as PL players. They did fine, but they were certainly unpolished (Veltman aside).

Tariq Lamptey broke down a month into the season and came back a few times before he had to sit the season out. 11 games in total. Solly March tore his ACL halfway into the season. Neither Lallana or Welbeck could start more than half of the games.

Trossard still drifted in and out of games.

The only real stability we could rely on was Dunk, Webster, Veltman, Burn (imo), Bissouma and Gross. And thats certainly a good core, but thin and (as we saw) not bound to score a lot of goals.

A lot of that was solved when Trossard and Alexis eventually grew into reliable key players, which slowly improved our attacking capacity. When Caicedo had learnt a thing or two in the rough Belgian reality, his left foot (we didn't have one bar Burn/March) and defensive capacity allowed Alexis to dictate play. Thats how it clicked.

The next manager will hopefully be one who can calmly and confidently oversee the organic growth we're supposed to be doing next season.
Like in the good old Potter days.
We were still organically growing with De Zerbi even in the second season. To finish within a point of top 10, with all the context (injuries, fixture congestion, fatigue from Europe) which you seem to be conviniently omitting here, was still a very good achievement. Theres no doubt even without his exact backing that he wanted, he would have achieved as much as potter ever did had he have stayed. Let’s not act like we’ve regressed from the system we had before. The good old potter days were enjoyable sometimes, by my god the good old De Zerbi days were Euphoric, something that I could never say was during a Potter day.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Fair enough admitting you pay £200 to watch a scoreboard. Should have remembered that.
This is the crux of why those who don’t want Potter back, don’t want him back, we actually quite enjoy the day out and the good times and being impassioned on the club, football is about a lot more than Potter creating good stats. We had a good mental days out under RDZ, some we won, some we lost, and something like that was more not than often, felt under potter, that’s why I’m not enthused about him coming back, and I think it’s the eco system of a football club that’s very important.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Don’t quite understand the amount of digs at our best ever manager who got us European football, who left amicably, and arguably gave us our most exciting games and seasons of our lives.
Probably because you don't want to because it has certainly been talked about in great detail.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Probably because you don't want to because it has certainly been talked about in great detail.
It may have been talked about in ‘’great detail’’…but that doesn’t mean it’s still understandable why RDZ has taken so much flack……still I do understand why you might find it hard to accept what great times we had under RDZ

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Solly March who was rumoured to go to Manchester United when he played for Potter? This guy? This guy working his arse off for us for seasons?

Just a few months earlier, the same Andy Naylor was all but calling time on Solly's Albion career, as he was so under-utilised under Potter....

"From a new deal in August to bit-part player – what’s going wrong for Solly March?"​
"Solly March’s nine-year career at first-team level with Brighton & Hove Albion is in danger of drifting towards a nondescript conclusion."​
"March is on course for his least effective season this time around, making only nine starts so far, with no goals and one assist."​
"He has become a peripheral figure, a bit-part player who features as a substitute more often than in the starting line-up."​
"He has not achieved the same scale of cult worship with supporters as Dunk, who is likely to last longer at the club, as well.​
Both have been fantastic servants, but the nagging frustration about March is that he may never quite reach his full potential."​
Solly March did subsequently reach his full potential, or certainly got a lot closer to it, once Graham Potter f***ed off and Roberto De Zerbi got his hands on him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here