Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Charlton beat Southampton and we beat Wednesday

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Huddersfield losing to Peterborough and us beating both Sheffield Wednesday and Dagenham will not actually get us promoted as we could end up with the same points and have to rely on goal difference.

The earliest we can be promoted is at Walsall.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hudds only play Posh in the next 10 days, Posh play Daggers and Hudds. If Posh win them both then they are on 73 points with 5 games (max 15 points) = 88. If we win both games then we would be on 90.
If Hudds beat Posh then they are still in with a chance. If they draw then they both lose out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Huddersfield losing to Peterborough and us beating both Sheffield Wednesday and Dagenham will not actually get us promoted as we could end up with the same points and have to rely on goal difference.

The earliest we can be promoted is at Walsall.

Yes it will. We'll have 90 points and if Huddersfield drop any against P'borough then they can't catch us.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Whilst we can't catch you, don't be writing off Charlton's chances of finishing second.

We only have to win all our remaining games.

And Hudd lose all of theirs.

And Saints lose all but one of theirs.

And eight or nine other clubs lose the majority of theirs.

Sorted.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
Whilst we can't catch you, don't be writing off Charlton's chances of finishing second.

We only have to win all our remaining games.

And Hudd lose all of theirs.

And Saints lose all but one of theirs.

And eight or nine other clubs lose the majority of theirs.

Sorted.

I wouldn't mind that happening at all. Wonder what odds I could get on it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Greer and El Abd have done alright against other big (name and stature) strikers this season. I think they'll be fine.

Didnt do very well against Mellor up at Hillsbro apart from El Abd acting to try to get him sent off but I hope that you are right and they cope ok. I notice the clown Megson dropped him and then brought him back on Saturday and he scored 2 goals.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Think you'll find it's three! Personally I'd rather have the points of the board at this stage of the season.

Generally yes, but Saints do not look like losing at all, in fact they look like winning every game and have arguably the easiest run-in, so in my book, currently they are favourites to go up with us automatically. Of course, throughout the divisions this year it's been impossible to call any particular game, so who knows.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Reminds me of the scenario where you're in the forest with your mate and a hungry bear is chasing.

To survive, you don't have to run faster than the bear, you just have to run faster than your mate.

Don't know why it reminds me of that - it just does.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Think you'll find it's three! Personally I'd rather have the points of the board at this stage of the season.

If they were 7 or 8 points ahead of Saints then I'd agree with you. But at least two wins out of 3 games for Southampton is highly likely so I'd say they are well and truely in the driving seat and say it's theirs to throw away.

Brighton will play a big part in that though as they both still have to come to Withdean. There was a thread not too long ago about whether people would give up the unbeaten run at home, to lose to Hudders and stop Saints getting second..

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If they were 7 or 8 points ahead of Saints then I'd agree with you. But at least two wins out of 3 games for Southampton is highly likely so I'd say they are well and truely in the driving seat and say it's theirs to throw away.

Brighton will play a big part in that though as they both still have to come to Withdean. There was a thread not too long ago about whether people would give up the unbeaten run at home, to lose to Hudders and stop Saints getting second..

I completely agree it is Saints to throw away. However I don't think people should be so dismissive of the roll Hudds still have to play in the run in.

And to answer your question I couldn't care less who finishes second to be perfectly honest. Don't particularly like Southampton but I can't stand Lee Clark so I wouldn't be overly upset if his lot didn't go up. Actually come to think of it I can find something I dislike about all of the teams down to Rochdale. So I'd much rather we won all of our games between now and the end of the season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And to answer your question I couldn't care less who finishes second to be perfectly honest. Don't particularly like Southampton but I can't stand Lee Clark so I wouldn't be overly upset if his lot didn't go up. Actually come to think of it I can find something I dislike about all of the teams down to Rochdale. So I'd much rather we won all of our games between now and the end of the season.

100% agreed.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4042239 said:
Charlton won't beat Southampton.... Addicks got nothing left to play for.

Disagree. Both Charlton players and Powell have a hell of a lot to play for after the disastrous run they've been on, if they want jobs next season!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't think Charlton will beat SCC but they are on a good run of form lately (well, compared to the massive dip they had) and if they could get their noses in front then who knows. However, we all know the big game is Peterborough and Huddersfield.

Have also had a crack at the BBC Predictor, have us finishing top on 100 points, with Saints second on 89, Peterborough, on 88. Promotion achieved at home to D&R on the 12th, title all but certain on the 16th, and confirmed at home to Saints

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here