Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Battipiedi isn't good enough for league one how was he going to compete today?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Batti was a waste of space, and was no real surprise that he got taken off.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Anyone else to be honest. Personally I would have gone with Sandaza and played Barnes wide. But I'm unsure why Batti has had more chances than Jake this season based on what I've seen of both Caskey should now be the getting twenty minutes here and there.

I agree with Jake getting a few run outs this season, but starting little 16 year old Jake against the big Stoke HOOFERS wouldn't have been such a good idea I think. Anyhow he definitely would have impressed Gus and I'm sure he'll get some cameo appearances now. Was that his first appearance of the season yesterday?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Would rather have seen Caskey for the whole 90 minutes.

Wise after the event. I bet you wouldn't have even thought of him for your starting eleven.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not good for player, fans or the club in my view.

Would rather have seen Caskey for the whole 90 minutes.

Disagree. The second half was a very different game to the first. Stoke were happy to sit back. If we had started with Caskey and the midfield had been overrun it might have set him back. As it was, he got half an hour when the game was over and did really well.

I genuinely don't understand why people somehow think they know better than Poyet. We had four potential central midfielders out plus Noone and Wood who could have played and we would then have had a different formation. Battipiedi was next in line so he got a start. He wasn't great but you can't blame his performance for our defeat yesterday.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Was Shittipiedi actually playing yesterday? He was so un-noticable we might as well have been playing with 10 men.
Guess it was Gus making the best of a bad situation given Sparrow & Kish's lack of fitness & the risk of starting Caskey or Kasim but in the simplest terms possible, Shittipiedi is gash.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Was Shittipiedi actually playing yesterday? He was so un-noticable we might as well have been playing with 10 men.
Guess it was Gus making the best of a bad situation given Sparrow & Kish's lack of fitness & the risk of starting Caskey or Kasim but in the simplest terms possible, Shittipiedi is gash.

Well done mate. That name must have taken ages and an incredible amount of imagination to come up with. You must be really proud! Battipiedi wasn't great yesterday but that sort of name calling is pathetic. Fair enough criticise the way he played constructively (and there is probably quite a lot to say) but seriously what is the point of this post?

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Well done mate. That name must have taken ages and an incredible amount of imagination to come up with. You must be really proud! Battipiedi wasn't great yesterday but that sort of name calling is pathetic. Fair enough criticise the way he played constructively (and there is probably quite a lot to say) but seriously what is the point of this post?

This

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the important post (the only important post) in this thread was in the first page, and has been largely ignored. Who else was going to play? Who else have we got to play in the centre of midfield? We were unlucky with injuries and absences, Sparrow would have played had he been fit and so would Kishishev, had he been available. Would people have rather moved Adam El-Abd back into his midfield holding role? It went so well last time, after all. Caskey is 16, why are people asking why he didn't start?!

Coming on here to slag off Battipiedi is sad and unneccessary, and typical of the lack of patience and understanding in football. Stoke gave Pulis the time to put together a squad, and that's not worked out too badly. Give Battipiedi a chance, writing him off does no-one no good.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Hopefully yesterday was the final nail in the Batti coffin

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
It's not slagging him off simply to suggest that he is not good enough for a top league 1 side aiming for the Championship, it's realism. The general concensus sems to be that Bati is simply not up to standard, it was probably a worthwhile gamble bringing him and Baz over to the UK, but it's not worked out, no big deal. He was involved in the first team squad earlier in the season, but as the squad has been improved he's now well down the pecking order and quite rightly not selected unless alot of players are unavailable.

Against Stoke, we would probably have been better playing with 10 men, rather than playing Bati, at least then the rest of the team could have adapted to that rather than hoping Bati would actually do something like tackle, track back or hold the ball up.

If Bati had been signed by any other recent manager than Gus, that manager would be getting all kinds of abuse on here, but even Gus isn't infallible, he's the best manager we have had for many many years, but shock horror, he's going to make mistakes from time to time and Bati/Baz is one of them.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
i watched him closely for 5-10 minutes and he was moving well of the ball getting into positions to take a pass, but no-one passed to him. Whereas when Caskey came on he got the ball passed to him pretty much straight off. Read into that as you wish but perhaps his own teammates were a bit wary of giving him the ball?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I think the important post (the only important post) in this thread was in the first page, and has been largely ignored. Who else was going to play? Who else have we got to play in the centre of midfield? We were unlucky with injuries and absences, Sparrow would have played had he been fit and so would Kishishev, had he been available. Would people have rather moved Adam El-Abd back into his midfield holding role? It went so well last time, after all. Caskey is 16, why are people asking why he didn't start?!

Coming on here to slag off Battipiedi is sad and unneccessary, and typical of the lack of patience and understanding in football. Stoke gave Pulis the time to put together a squad, and that's not worked out too badly. Give Battipiedi a chance, writing him off does no-one no good.

Finally someone who agrees with my original post. A taste or realism and everyone ignores it for the second time in this thread alone. Until we are out of league one, your going to have squad players, those who are happy to sit on the bench at a league one club aren't going to be £1m + players. Battipiedi isn't a great player, but he's had limited chances, and yesterday we had very few if any alternatives.
Asking to play a 16 year old against a premiership side from the start, in what we knew would be a physical game is madness. Gus made the right decision IMO, end of.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
The obsession with all always focusing on the negative gets more than a little tedious. I felt sorry for Tommy and brez, dont think others would have done any better.. Should have had player on posts for set pieces, and we do have a lot of midfield players out.

PS You cant start with a 16 year old, what happens to all who are pushed too much too soon they end up as Michael Owen has...

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

It is not as if their presence has adversely affected the team.

I think the situation is not perfect as we have very few reserve matches and most seem to be postponed

are you guy really saying it takes over 8 months to settle in somewhere to do what you are paid to do well?

i have worked abroad many times and settled in a few days.......a good grip on a language can be gained in two months easily too.

No more excuses, chop batti and baz.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would have played Sandaza and stuck with the three up as I have said. All I was saying was given a flat choice, I would rather see Caskey (potential) getting game time than Battipiedi who I think has had already had plenty. But frankly this wasn't the game to be putting fringe players in at all, we should have played our strongest team which given the players not available would have meant Sandaza, El Abd and Ankergren playing.

If we didn't want to progress in the FA Cup why did we enter it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here