Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If anyone had any doubts that Mellor is a tosser...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would LOVE IT, just LOVE IT, if Hull beat Chelsea next season.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...then this little beauty in the Evening Standard today should comfortably dispell them.

Why it will be hell for Hull in the top flight

Dean Windass scores a Wembley goal at the age of 39 to put Hull into the Premier League. Great, and not so great. Good for him of course, but the idea of Windass turning out in the top flight next season at 40 is a joke.

As perhaps is the thought of Hull staying up barring a miracle; on an honest view they'll be lucky to get as many points as Derby did. Once you cut through the inevitable sentimentality about a small club's triumph, the truth is the Premier League as an internationally credible competition is damaged by such promotions. If the Championship can't throw up more credible candidates than Hull, then perhaps we should go back to two-up two-down again.

"the truth is the Premier League as an internationally credible competition is damaged by such promotions"

I suppose anyone outside of the top 4 is a bit of an embarrassment really arn't they Dave. I mean lets just cut to the chase here - the Premiership is about four teams nowadays, maybe not even that. Perhaps they should just play each other 20 times a season, and we can do away with these pathetic small clubs gatecrashing the party and cluttering up the place. Chelsea are far too big these days to bother with the likes of Hull.

How fortunate we are to have people of David Mellors vision and insight in our media.

I read that last week, to be honest he writes rubbish like that all the time.

I would suggest that the credibility of the Premier League as a competition is damaged far more by certain clubs spending outrageous and unsustainable amounts of money, thus reducing any idea of competition amongst the 20 teams to a mere concept.

Clearly Hull will struggle, but there's no need for Mellor to display quite such a dismissive attitude towards them. He is a perfect example of what's wrong with football at the top level.

Chelsea won chuff all last season: does that diminish their relevance to any of the competitions they entered (and failed in)?

Ugly, self-important, speccy buffoon.

Spot On! There's no better reason than now to boycott the Premier League.Better footy in the lower Leagues anyways.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I can however remember Mellor giving Bill Archer a very hard time on 6-0-6, and he wouldn't stand for any of the bullshit that WA came out with, and for that he is marked down as tolerable in my book.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can however remember Mellor giving Bill Archer a very hard time on 6-0-6, and he wouldn't stand for any of the bullshit that WA came out with, and for that he is marked down as tolerable in my book.

Its a fair point, and one which should not be forgotten.

However where does that leave us with regards to Mellor's views?

That little clubs are worthy in their own right, and need to be looked after, just so long as they know their place and don't get above themselves, and clutter up the big boys' league?

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I would suggest that the credibility of the Premier League as a competition is damaged far more by certain clubs spending outrageous and unsustainable amounts of money, thus reducing any idea of competition amongst the 20 teams to a mere concept.

Clearly Hull will struggle, but there's no need for Mellor to display quite such a dismissive attitude towards them. He is a perfect example of what's wrong with football at the top level.

Chelsea won chuff all last season: does that diminish their relevance to any of the competitions they entered (and failed in)?

I think that about sums up my view to the letter! :thumbsup::laugh:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
_39265983_mellor_270.jpg

I really wish someone would hurt him. Badly.

From that picture I'd say someone already had! :lolol:

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
Mellor isn't a perfect human being. But he wasn't just sympathetic to our cause during the 1996/97 season, he supported us by speaking up for us on 606 and by writing to the FA with the suggestion that Archer and Bellotti be charged with bringing the game into disrepute for all but destroying a club with a "distinguished" history. And we all know that the FA did f*** all.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Mellor isn't a perfect human being. But he wasn't just sympathetic to our cause during the 1996/97 season, he supported us by speaking up for us on 606 and by writing to the FA with the suggestion that Archer and Bellotti be charged with bringing the game into disrepute for all but destroying a club with a "distinguished" history. And we all know that the FA did f*** all.

Fair enough and for that I am truly grateful, but the man needs to retire his column asap, so to speak, as his views are sounding arrogant and belittling if that article is anything to go by

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Mellor's political career had just gone tits up and he was contemplating the right-on media world as a new outlet. Sure, he clambered upon the "it's outrageous what's happening to Brighton" bandwagon - but lets face it, the Albion cause was quite "de rigeur" in those days. I very much doubt he'd give a flying f*** in the current climate to be quite honest, as his shitty two bob column in the Standard clearly demonstrates time and time again.

It's not just him though with these stupid views, is it - plenty of our own fans have written crap on here about how we should just "move on" over the whole MK Dons thing, despite the fact that we were victims of unscrupulous businessmen and FA fuckwittageness ourselves barely a decade ago.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mellor's political career had just gone tits up and he was contemplating the right-on media world as a new outlet. Sure, he clambered upon the "it's outrageous what's happening to Brighton" bandwagon - but lets face it, the Albion cause was quite "de rigeur" in those days. I very much doubt he'd give a flying f*** in the current climate to be quite honest, as his shitty two bob column in the Standard clearly demonstrates time and time again.

...is the correct answer.

Bandwagon-jumping a speciality. Chelsea - Fulham - Chelsea 'born-again' fan.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I agree wholeheartedly. If Hull aspire and perspire their way in to the premiership, well done. What would the point be of playing 46 games and qualifying for top flight football and saying.. " well thanks, but we'd rather stay where we are",, they are going to live thier dream, it will probably be for one season but I hope they get behind their boys and enjoy having the "giants"at the Kingston Stadium. Enjoy it and you never know, you may nick some points off the big boys :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here