Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Adams goes

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
If Adams goes then we are going to be faced with the possibility of his assistants running the playing side for several games. That doesn't bear thinking about and by the time we have a new manager in place it may be too late.

IMHO the biggest mistake was Adams agreeing to retain the existing coaching staff in the first place.

He has a decent squad - he needs a consistent team selection policy of round pegs in round holes and a balanced formation.

I am not an Adams apologist - indeed I think he has made some appalling decisions in both team selection and tactics. Actually it would have been better if he'd been sacked before Christmas. The writing was on the wall then.

But being pragmatic, he should be left at this late stage to get us out of this mess.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Ah but seven letters and all in the right place - I'd say 5.5 and a "must do better" just to encourage. After all he may not have got on to exclamation marks yet

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
If Adams goes then we are going to be faced with the possibility of his assistants running the playing side for several games. That doesn't bear thinking about and by the time we have a new manager in place it may be too late.

IMHO the biggest mistake was Adams agreeing to retain the existing coaching staff in the first place.

He has a decent squad - he needs a consistent team selection policy of round pegs in round holes and a balanced formation.

I am not an Adams apologist - indeed I think he has made some appalling decisions in both team selection and tactics. Actually it would have been better if he'd been sacked before Christmas. The writing was on the wall then.

But being pragmatic, he should be left at this late stage to get us out of this mess.

I know Dean White was still there but didn't Adams bring Bob Booker back to the club ?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
erm - you win games that you played poorly in and didn't deserve to, like we have now, where we play well enough to deserve something from the game but get beaten. simple really, even a 5 year old could understand it, but i guess that wouldn't fit into the way of thinking that some fans have, where the final score is the be all and end all and the teams actual performance counts for nothing. currently its if we lose, we must have been shit to have lost
You don't get lucky over 46 games. Simple as that.
Also which games have we played well and lost in this season, because I have been to a lot and haven't seen it happen, not once. By all accounts we were unlucky away at Tranmere, I didn't go. But other games we have been fortunate to get points (if not actually wins) with terrible performances.

Clearly your memory is playing tricks with you. This isn't a 'Wilkins was shit' response but there were extended times with him in charge when we were bloody awful-remember that cup game against Mansfield for example? There were many others-he did manage to correct things though which sadly Adams doesn't look like he will.

Everyone likes to bring that Mansfield match up as an example.
Didn't Manure lose to Burnley this season? Have minnows never raised their game to beat a comparitive 'Goliath'?

How about losing at home to a dull side down to 9 men? How about consistently getting taken to the cleaners at home, always deferring the blame and repeatedly telling us how brilliant the opposition truly were?
"ah but this was Leeds United..... Peterborough are one of the best sides you'll see in this division,.... Carlisle are no Peterborough"

Last season we could criticize the fact that we often allowed oppositions to get their nose in front, we often had to come from a goal down. Occasionally we were all over sides but failed to score too, or let in a late goal to drop points - but that made it still disappointing to finish 7th, the all-too-simple lost points could have easily got us into the playoffs.

That is now a position we'd just LOVE to be in right now. Escaping relegation is fast looking like a pipedream.

bhamanandboy

Feb 17, 2008
Mickey Adams has hown that he is uncapable of bringing in any decent players. The loan signings he has brought in are dangerously close to County league standard and the guy basically hasnt got a clue. He doesnt know quality from Crap. And thats crap that no other teams wants either.

For all you MA fanatics who think he should be given time, your living in cloud cuckoo land!

The other two sidekicks DW + BB are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
What I will say, is that this season I have not been entertained. Last season I was at one stage fairly anti Wilkins, but as time went on he must have looked at himself, and not every game was a classic, but there was belief. It just seems so long ago. What I am watching now seems to be as bad as Geoff Wood when we travelled to Gillingham.

No. What I am seeing now is appalling. All I ask for is for 10 mins of magic in a game, and all I see is the ball being kicked up in the air to try and dislodge satellites form their orbit.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Mickey Adams has hown that he is uncapable of bringing in any decent players. The loan signings he has brought in are dangerously close to County league standard and the guy basically hasnt got a clue. He doesnt know quality from Crap. And thats crap that no other teams wants either.

For all you MA fanatics who think he should be given time, your living in cloud cuckoo land!

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol: - thanks i needed a laugh

So are you seriously saying that Craig Davies is shit or Seb Carole is shit, or we would have been better off with Mayo than buying McNulty? all three were ineligable last night, meaning fringe players had to take their places.

the new signings look like doing the businness, and i hope they are given a chance to shine before fans turn on them too.

The other two sidekicks DW + BB are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike!

Booker seemed good enough when we won titles, play off matches etc, yet on the day of his return, fans were calling him non league, and not good enough, how is that giving people time or a fair crack of the whip.

how does telling a player he isnt good enough beforecoming onto the pitch as a sub justifyable, ok if he is having a mare, but again he isn't being given a chance for being subject to abuse

Last edited:

Completely agree, last season Wilkins also suffered abuse and calls for his sacking half way through, yet when he went, theyre was a huge outcry that it was unfair.

They picked holes in everything he did, including the old "how dare he sit in the stands for the first half, he should be on the bench, yet Coppell did the same, and that was fine.

some of our fans are just hell bent on ruining this club, they feel that they are owed a great deal in return for their support, and that they want payback now, thinking that they can do a fair better job than anyone else at the club, be it the manager, players or board, so whatever they do will never be good enough.

They have no sense of realism, that there are financial restraints on the club, we are losing money and also looking to build a new ground for the fans, but this isn't considered enough, the board give even more money and invest in the team, and this isn't enough, I for one am sick of that attitude.

That's a well reasoned argument.
However, it's a bit of an oxymoron to suggest that fans are hell-bent on ruining the club. So the board have invested in players - well they are running a business for customer approval, however anyone might like to put a spin on that. If customers pay and are dissatisfied with what they get, then what is expected from the customers?

Yes, the board and manager HAVE been criticized by fans.
If Hinshelwood wasn't allowed so much of a season before Coppell was hired, perhaps Coppell would have managed to keep us up, stayed at Brighton and done great things with excellent players.
If Wilkins wasn't ousted, perhaps he'd have continued with the momentum he was achieving after HIS rebuilding after McGhee.
If Adams resignation was accepted when he was ready to throw in the towel, another manager might not have us going ever-deeper into relegation.

All 'big if's' that we cannot know a certain answer for. Still, the board are not above criticism, nor the manager - at any club - especially at the club where it's felt the fans are so integral to the club's existence.

Do boardrooms always have money-men and financial investors in there? Are decisions always only made by those with money at stake? Should that even be the case?

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
The difference for me is that if we went a goal down in a game last year - I felt like we would come back into the game and either draw or win. This year if we go a goal down - I know it's game over and we'll lose. What's that down to??? the confidence of the players...or lack of!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
erm - you win games that you played poorly in and didn't deserve to, like we have now, where we play well enough to deserve something from the game but get beaten. simple really, even a 5 year old could understand it, but i guess that wouldn't fit into the way of thinking that some fans have, where the final score is the be all and end all and the teams actual performance counts for nothing. currently its if we lose, we must have been shit to have lost

There isn't a panel of judges that hold up ratings for teams at the end of the game. Games are decided by how many goals you score v how many you concede.

It doesn't matter how flowing your passes are, how attack minded your tactics are, if you can't put the ball in the net and stop your opponents doing the same, you deserve to lose.

Conversely, if your passing is shit and you still managed to convert a chance or two, while doggedly making sure you don't concede, however ugly, you deserve to win.

When progress up the league, and progress in cups, is determined by results, I don't think it's particularly wrong to suggest results are the most important thing.

It's great if you get performances with the win, but performances do not cancel out losses. You don't get awarded a point in the league because you put on a good performance when you lose.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
never should of let this man go

200px-Dean_Wilkins_2007.jpg

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte

Do you mean that we deserved to get something out of the game? I thought we got exactly what we deserved. OK, there was some great last-ditch defending, but if you're down to 10 men, surely you should try to retain possession of the ball, rather than giving it back to the opposition at the first opportunity. I felt desperately sorry for Forster, who deserves better than this. Some on here have disparaged the JPT, but you could see by his reaction at the end what it would have meant to him to get to Wembley

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I'm sorry but anybody still backing adams hasn't been paying attention this season. Almost every decision he's made, all the way back to playing virgs central midfield first game of the season even though he'd been played centre half throughout pre-season (and yes i know we won that game, but clearly playing virgs in midfield is silly) has been proved to be wrong. Mistake after mistake after mistake.

He's going becuase as things stand, we're going down and the board cannot risk the financial losses that would accompany that.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I have a horrible feeling that if Adams goes, with White and Booker too, we will end up with a far worse dream team

Something like Barry Lloyd in charge, and our coaches being Ben Roberts, Guy Bitters, Charlie Oatway and Nicky Forster.

All people who were liked at the club in the past, that maybe could do a job, but havent got the qualifications done yet and have little/no experience

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here