Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a BIG Club Folded?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
If a big club folded due to financial mis management would WORLD football benefit in the long run?.

It is going to happen and in my opinion those that balance the books and are realistic with their dreams will benefit.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Example from me-

If Pompey went (yes they are "big" enough),i would say yes,something has been done to correct the scandalous way modern football clubs are run,do i hate Pompey? no,do i think they,for the good of the game,that they could be made example of? well maybe,or 15 years in the lower divisions would help-Make no mistake,football is changing,Brighton,under Gus and especially under Tony Bloom,will be a "major" "modern" day team/side/club....in the next 25 years,if we stick to the long term plans...casualties will happen,we will benefit.......15 years ago we were nearly wiped out,was our circumstances really that much different to those that have gone into admin of late? Yes but also No,but we were mainly No and so what,we have come through,with blood guts an thunder,and boy did we earn every penny!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If a big club folded due to financial mis management would WORLD football benefit in the long run?.

It is going to happen and in my opinion those that balance the books and are realistic with their dreams will benefit.

The Premier League is a bubble every bit as flakey as the property market was before the financial crash. It's all run on unsustainable debt and that bubble will burst sometime soon.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Things can't go on like this, that's for sure. I would like to see a really good piece in one of the papers with a top operator who knows their football inside out; understands the finances; is what I would call a 'visionary', ie not scared to think outside the traditional box; and gives a shit about the Football League, understanding its importance. Someone like David Dein, possibly.

And I would like to hear what they think about the best future blueprint for the game in terms of viable number of clubs in each league, how to bridge gap betweeen Prem and FL, whether we have too many professional clubs, the division of the money coming into the game (notably PL TV rights) etc etc. There needs to be a proper debate about it, because otherwise people are going to get (or already have got) administration fatigue and wll stop caring about it.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Yes but also No,but we were mainly No and so what,we have come through,with blood guts an thunder,and boy did we earn every penny!!

That is absolutely my favourite posting of all time, and is assuredly on a par with Molly Bloom's 4391-word single-sentence soliloquy in the final chapter of Ulysses.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Perhaps going into administration should carry a 25 point deduction

Lakedry

Aug 13, 2011
Things can't go on like this, that's for sure. I would like to see a really good piece in one of the papers with a top operator who knows their football inside out; understands the finances; is what I would call a 'visionary', ie not scared to think outside the traditional box; and gives a shit about the Football League, understanding its importance. Someone like David Dein, possibly.

And I would like to hear what they think about the best future blueprint for the game in terms of viable number of clubs in each league, how to bridge gap betweeen Prem and FL, whether we have too many professional clubs, the division of the money coming into the game (notably PL TV rights) etc etc. There needs to be a proper debate about it, because otherwise people are going to get (or already have got) administration fatigue and wll stop caring about it.

From a Pompey fan......good post :clap2:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That is absolutely my favourite posting of all time, and is assuredly on a par with Molly Bloom's 4391-word single-sentence soliloquy in the final chapter of Ulysses.

Why thank you :kiss:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Even when we were in the shit and actually shit NOT ONE SINGLE CREDITOR was shafted and all bills were paid. The directors dug deep.

So Palace, Pompey, Leeds, Rangers, Leics and countless others f*** OFF you should ALL be made examples of.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Example from me-

If Pompey went (yes they are "big" enough),i would say yes,something has been done to correct the scandalous way modern football clubs are run,do i hate Pompey? no,do i think they,for the good of the game,that they could be made example of? well maybe,or 15 years in the lower divisions would help-Make no mistake,football is changing,Brighton,under Gus and especially under Tony Bloom,will be a "major" "modern" day team/side/club....in the next 25 years,if we stick to the long term plans...casualties will happen,we will benefit.......15 years ago we were nearly wiped out,was our circumstances really that much different to those that have gone into admin of late? Yes but also No,but we were mainly No and so what,we have come through,with blood guts an thunder,and boy did we earn every penny!!

Exactly my thoughts and the reason I posted the thread.

I heard an interview with the Peterborough chairman recently and he was saying that they will spend what they dont have and in the long term they are happy to carry on playing the standard they are, they are not aiming high but he expects many clubs to come falling down below them due to finance. It was a really good interview.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Exactly my thoughts and the reason I posted the thread.

I heard an interview with the Peterborough chairman recently and he was saying that they will spend what they dont have and in the long term they are happy to carry on playing the standard they are, they are not aiming high but he expects many clubs to come falling down below them due to finance. It was a really good interview.

I think a lot will fold-perhaps the game as we know it with 92 professional clubs is on it's last legs-i can see a major restructuring happening within the next 10 years-maybe sooner.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I think a lot will fold-perhaps the game as we know it with 92 professional clubs is on it's last legs-i can see a major restructuring happening within the next 10 years-maybe sooner.

That is quite a worrying thought because who is to say that the restructuring is going to be done properly? There will always be winners and losers and it is a fact of life that money talks!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That is quite a worrying thought because who is to say that the restructuring is going to be done properly? There will always be winners and losers and it is a fact of life that money talks!

It is worrying and my concern is whilst i think we may benefit as a club and be a major force in years to come,my real worry is the Amex could be defunct within 50 years and surplus to requirements along with all other venues,not to paint too much doom and gloom as my glass is always half full,something needs to be done now.

Example from me-

Every other contributor to NSC (even the semi-literate) manage to put a space after a comma. So why don't you?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

This is an interesting point. Will the game change?

It has been muted before (over ten years ago) that the lower leagues will have turn part-time to survive. Perhaps the lower leagues returning to a north south divide. Now lets look what happened. Not only are all league clubs still full time but now many Conference side are and even some below them.
Is it due to these sides showing ambition?
Or TV money, remembering that Sky started to show Conference games live?
Or the commitment from the players and the expectation of that commitment from the clubs thus the demanding of a full time mentality?

Probably a combination of all these factors but it remains a fact that we have more professional clubs now than ever before. The money required to operate even the small clubs have risen exponentially due to the players wages, requirement for better facilities etc.

Realistically each club holds on average 30 home events a year which from which it derives its main income. Each event lasts max. of 6 hours from doors open to doors shut.This would include its ability to raise income through advertising at the event. Some of the lower league clubs barely survive on a decent pub's turnover. Yet the perception is they are "large" local businesses. Up until last year we hardly set the world alight.

We as supporters generally see our club as the model example of a well run modern football club. But in reality if our life long supporting owner died and the family took their money, where would it leave us? Undoubtedly TB would have written certain clauses into his share ownership/loans which in all likelihood protects his family and the club, but we don't know.

So what for the future. All the time there's money swimming about in these global businessmen's bank accounts you can see the big guns continuing in the same vein. But there are changes afoot. The attendances for EPL and Champions League are falling. The CL in particular is losing its appeal. This will affect sponsorship. TV money will be lowered, a knock on affect. The big clubs want their own TV rights. Fine let them have it but when the top league consists of 5 clubs so be it.

I can honestly see the top breaking away into a new global league. They could then run a feeder side, with a budget cap, in the EPL/FL that can not move players between sides during the season. This would allow all the other clubs to compete in what would still be the best league in the World but with a better cost structure.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Lower league clubs can't survive partly because they can't afford the silly wages that have spiralled out of control, thanks to the Premier League. If players were paid a sensible amount, then admission prices could fall, then you could run those clubs quite happily and make a lot of people happy on a Saturday afternoon watching lower league football.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Perhaps going into administration should carry a 25 point deduction

This is one of the reasons for the sporadic push to end relegation from and promotion to the EPL. The folks who run the big clubs want not to have to worry about the consequences of administration.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Short answer - yes.

Long answer - yeaaah.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
How are we classifying a BIG club here......... ?

If its in the Champions League, chances are it is already hundreds of millions in debt.

Sorry but portsmouth going out of business will hardly make the like of Man u quiver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here