Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Idea over first opponents at new stadium

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

gazzaa2

Feb 28, 2009
Doncaster would never sell out there end.

Quality over quantity on that day, though.

I'd rather have 500-1000 Doncaster fans, plenty of whom would have been there on the last day of The Goldstone and watched their club be nearly destroyed the same time as us, and like us fought back to save their club. I'd rather that than 2-3,000 Manchester United or Chelsea fans, most of whom live in and around Sussex and wouldn't have the same sense of occasion as the Doncaster fans in attendance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Quality over quantity on that day, though.

I'd rather have 500-1000 Doncaster fans, plenty of whom would have been there on the last day of The Goldstone and watched their club be nearly destroyed the same time as us, and like us fought back to save their club. I'd rather that than 2-3,000 Manchester United or Chelsea fans, most of whom live in and around Sussex and wouldn't have the same sense of occasion as the Doncaster fans in attendance.

Good for you.

Personally, I'd rather the club raked in 3,000 crisp £20 notes, than 500 tenners.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
We have to have ramp up events. So first game will need to be against someone smaller. Doncaster first would be a good shout, or someone of that sort of size. It is no good calling for someone from the top flight first up. Official opening or first maximum capacity game then yes, Man City, Chelsea, the Martian Allstars would be good but it will not be the first game that much is certain.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Won't the first game be considerably less than full capacity so they can check everything works?

Cardiff's first match was restricted to 50% capacity, don't see why this game couldn't be against Donny.
The next game was restricted to 70% capacity, then 90%.

Event One.

Our first fixture in the new stadium will be a Cardiff City Legends game that will take place on Saturday July 4th kick off 3pm. This game will be restricted to 50% capacity and will initially only be open to Ambassadors and Season Ticket Holders who will be able to purchase their season seat. Prices for this game are £5 adults and £2.50 concession.

Event Two.

This will take place on Sunday July 5th and will be an open training day. Dave Jones and his squad will hold an open training session. This open day will be used to allow supporters to familiarise themselves with the new surroundings. This will be open to Ambassadors, Season Ticket Holders and supporters with a Stadium Card.

Event Three.

This will be the first time supporters will be able to see a Cardiff City side play at the new stadium. Dave Jones squad will take on Chasetown on Friday 10th July kick off 7.45pm. This will be restricted up to a maximum of 70% capacity and will once again be open to Ambassadors and Season Ticket holders initially. Prices for this game are £10 adult and £5 concessions.

Event Four.

Cardiff Blues will be part of the ramp up schedule and will hold an open day for all Blues supporters on Saturday 18th of July.

Event Five.

The date we have all been waiting for the official opening of our state of the art New Stadium against Scottish Giants Celtic. This game will take place on Wednesday 22nd of July kick off 7.45pm. Capacity for this game will restricted up to a maximum of 90% on successful completion of the previous event. Once again this game will be initially open to Ambassadors and Season Ticket Holders. Prices for this event will be normal 2009-10 match day prices.

Non Ambassadors and Season Ticket Holders will be informed at a later date as to when their purchasing window opens.

Event Six.

This will be the final ramp up event before the 2009-2010 season takes place. Once again we have top quality opposition in the form of Valencia. The Spanish Le Liga side will bring a full strength squad to test Dave Jones and the lads. This game will take place on Saturday August 1st kick off 3pm. This game will be at full capacity on successful completion of previous events. Like all the events above this will be initially only available to Ambassadors and Season Ticket holders. Prices for this event are £20 adults £10 over 60's and £5 under 16's

All Events will be available to all Ambassadors and Season Ticket Holders from the 16th of June. Reservations can be made in person at Ninian Park, over the phone or via our new e-ticketing facility.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I vote for this lot.

naked_women_soccer_team.JPG

At least we could test the new roofs out with that amount of rain. Those girls do put Gullys Girls into the Conference!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Doncaster is a nice idea and I applaud the sentiment but I would love Arsenal personally. Imagine the feast of football... van Persie vs Greer, Walcott vs Painter, Murray vs Vermaelen, Bennett vs Clichy.

It'd be immense.

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Won't the first game be considerably less than full capacity so they can check everything works?

Cardiff's first match was restricted to 50% capacity, don't see why this game couldn't be against Donny.
The next game was restricted to 70% capacity, then 90%.

Didn't it get said at one of the fans forum's a couple of months back that the flagship game is only going to be using 3 stands?

And that the first league game there will be the first which uses the whole stadium?

D

Deleted User X18H

There will be 2 or 3 ramp up events 50% capacity 75% capacity and possibly one other.

Then a full bells whistle opener followed by another friendly (Testimonial unlikely as corporates etc will have to pay additional amount)

From what I remember this could all start as early as late June.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
what happened to man city then? they could be prem champions by then of course. would be fine by me.

ramp up event will be somebody from abroad i reckon, possible le havre or perhaps zaragoza (gus connection) so we won't have to bother with away fans. actually if they are using just 3 sides, then they could keep the away end shut so then it makes sense to have a team from 'on the continent' pay us a visit. not that mob from portugal we've just half played though!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
We have to have ramp up events. So first game will need to be against someone smaller. Doncaster first would be a good shout, or someone of that sort of size. It is no good calling for someone from the top flight first up. Official opening or first maximum capacity game then yes, Man City, Chelsea, the Martian Allstars would be good but it will not be the first game that much is certain.
This

Doncaster first then!

:amex:

D

Deleted User X18H

I'm sure I've heard this as well - this is why it is vital that our first league game next season is at home on a Saturday 3:00pm kick off.

No wouldn't be allowed.The League need all safety certificates stamped prior endorsing a league match.

This would be achieved through 50% 75% and 100% of capacity attendances prior to this.

Agree with you about first league match. I was told my a local journo last night that Pride are reconsidering their stance on being accommodating and changing the date of the 2011 unnecessary fest, as no other date is available. I do hope they give it up.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here